Skydiver to jump from 25,000 feet, without a parachute..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Has anyone else jumped (besides camermonkey)?
    I did a beginner static line at Anderson once about 20 years ago. It was awesome.
    if I didn't have kids, I'd being doing it a lot more now

I've jumped before... I think it was AFF with skydiveindy. An old girlfriend took me for my birthday. It was pretty awesome really. Felt like falling for 7 or 8 seconds and then it was like going fast in a convertible or something. I think we jumped from 12,000 or so. I kept thinking I would get nervous when we got to altitude, then when the doors opened, and then when others started jumping. And while I'm sure I did get a little on edge I don't remember "feeling it" until my toes were over the edge and the dude said "jump" at that point it was real! I would most certainly do it more often if it was a bit cheaper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    DOOOOO EEEEEEET!

Thanks to modern innovations and rigorous safety and training, skydiving is amazingly safe. Statistically speaking you are more likely to be killed driving to the dropzone.

How safe is it? The last stats I looked at played out this way:
    3,000,000 jumps worldwide.
    30 jumpers killed
    10 in plane crashes on the way to altitude that included pilot error, etc. (no fault of the jumper)
    15 were preventable "hey y'all, watch this" pilot errors under very high performance parachutes. (people with undersized "hotrod" canopies making mistakes)
    3 were blatant errors that had the jumper kept their wits about them and reacted properly, they would have survived.
    2 were "wow, that sucks. It was his time to go" type incidents that just couldnt be overcome.

Yep. 3 out of 3,000,000 were outright, unavoidable accidents. With proper training and vigilance, you can skydive VERY safely.

And thanks to a WONDERFUL device called an AAD (automatic activation device) clueless wonders like this live to tell the tale regardless of their carelessness.

[video=youtube;wCrvQ_xy_LA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCrvQ_xy_LA[/video]

• It appears to be two novices based on their inability to fly cleanly and dock with each other easily. I'd say they were around 50 or fewer jump wonders.
    • They appear to be trying out new gopro cameras. (conservative suggestions say you dont even THINK about strapping on a camera until well over 100-150 jumps. There is just too much going on to worry about before then. Cameras are a distraction, as seen here.
    • In the video, they should have pulled the handles at around the 45 second mark. (hard to tell with fisheye lenses, but it should be around 2,500-3,000 ft at this skill level)
    • At the 1:05 mark you can see the reserve parachute automatically deploy. (the AAD sensed they were still in freefall and fired, releasing the reserve parachute) This process starts at 1,000 ft, and finally executes at 750 ft or so. :faint:
    • A safe parachute ride should be measured in minutes. I counted 8 seconds. Even my reserve canopy rides (2) were over a minute after I got rid of a malfunctioning main parachute. I even got one of those on video.
    • You can see the guy repeatedly check his wrist altimeter after landing. He is in total shock and denial and cant believe he didn't notice his altitude and is checking it to see if it is calibrated properly as if that were the problem. Notice you never see the altimeter until the very end. You can see a skydiver check his altimeter on video when he does it. These guys just plain forgot because they got so wrapped up in what they were trying to do and had a total loss of altitude awareness. (SA)

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Has anyone else jumped (besides camermonkey)?
    I did a beginner static line at Anderson once about 20 years ago. It was awesome.
    if I didn't have kids, I'd being doing it a lot more now

I have, back in my late 20's. Made two jumps at a place in Oklahoma. I quit at two because their procedure was to make newbs hang off the wing strut of a Cessna with the JM holding your pilot chute. I realize this is going to sound really weird but I could not handle doing that. I am TERRIFIED of heights but only if I think I might fall. I have no problems flying. I've been rappelling and loved it. Hanging off a wing is so full of NOPE for me. I could have easily gone out the door of a larger aircraft...run off a ramp. Weird I know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have, back in my late 20's. Made two jumps at a place in Oklahoma. I quit at two because their procedure was to make newbs hang off the wing strut of a Cessna with the JM holding your pilot chute. I realize this is going to sound really weird but I could not handle doing that. I am TERRIFIED of heights but only if I think I might fall. I have no problems flying. I've been rappelling and loved it. Hanging off a wing is so full of NOPE for me. I could have easily gone out the door of a larger aircraft...run off a ramp. Weird I know.

You DO know you went there to do just that? :p

Thats one thing I used to tell my nervous students... "What are you afraid of?" Their inevitable response would be"Falling" Once I pointed out they were afraid of exactly what they came to do, most laughed it off and did fine.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So . . . .have they addressed the hypoxia issue at 25,000 feet or is that maybe the plan; blackout immediately upon leaving the aircraft and then WTF? Granted he won't be at that altitude very long but what the hell right? The whole thing resonates with "Darwin Award of the Century"!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So . . . .have they addressed the hypoxia issue at 25,000 feet or is that maybe the plan; blackout immediately upon leaving the aircraft and then WTF? Granted he won't be at that altitude very long but what the hell right? The whole thing resonates with "Darwin Award of the Century"!

He'll be fine. World record formation skydives go to 23-25k all the time to have enough working time to complete the formation. As long as you breathe oxygen on the ride up you are fine. He'll be in safe air within 60 seconds of bailing out.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton

Thats one thing I used to tell my nervous students... "What are you afraid of?" Their inevitable response would be"Falling" Once I pointed out they were afraid of exactly what they came to do, most laughed it off and did fine.
    Agreed. We hung off the strut on our jump @ 3k ft. Static line pulled the chute. I think it's the safest way for newbs to jump. If they screw up they just fall... vs jumping into the rear stabilizer or something. The only real shocker was the prop blast. The instructor was there to grab/support my arm immediately. Standing on the support, and working our way out the strut was some real James Bond ****. It would have been better to have video of it though, since first person point of view is fairly uneventful.

My only caveat was that i wanted to go first, because I thought I'd chicken out if I didn't. Well, turns out, the heaviest guys go first... so I was last. :(
    I still jumped... to me, it was surreal, like a movie playing. I wound up with minor line twist, but got it untangled quickly thanks to their instruction.
    We were the second to last jump of the day, and it was dark at ground level... but up high, floating down, the sun was still plenty visible. It was the coolest thing ever.
    We had radios with an instructor on the ground telling us when/where to slip. We were told to listen to the instructions and obey them.
    I remember when i was coming in for a landing, around 50 ft up I was thinking "This guy is going to run me right into that building"... I was oblivious that I could just aim for the target on the ground at that point...
    At the last minute I heard his panicked voice over the radio scream "Slip Right! Slip Right!"
    He must have thought I was a complete dumbass... and I was. I was just afraid to do something without them giving the order first lol.

The 2 hour ride home, I just kept talking about how I wanted to go back... 1 of my buddies was into it as much as I was. 1 was completely silent. The 4th said he'd never do it again, and that all he remembered was looking down out the door of the plane, and that he didn't remember anything after that until he was on the ground. lol

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I can understand the mindset of the guys who pioneered parachute jumps, it had a purpose. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario where this could ever be practical. Sure, if you're in a plane that is engulfed in flames and you don't happen to have a chute, I can see saying "eff it, I'm outta here", but you couldn't possibly have any real expectations of survival, right? And yes, I know freaky things can happen that have miraculous results, but this guy is really pissing on his wife and kid by doing this.

Nicholas Alkemade.

Okay, so it's not practical. But the guy lived...

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

Yes sir, I do know. I said it was weird. I think the problem was in hanging from the strut I'm looking DOWN 3,500 feet and there's nothing between me and earth. :runaway:
    Once the canopy opened though...omg what a high. If every one made some jumps as a teen there would be much less drug use, there can't be a drug on earth that matches that feeling.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I recall seeing a video of someone jumping from a plane with a wingsuit and landing safely... No parachute

IIRC, it was a guy in Britain. He's a stuntman, and used a wingsuit to fly into a YUUUGE stack of cardboard boxes (the stuntman's cushion of choice).

I did 18 jumps, then my spine gave out. Wasn't very proficient in free-fall, but I loved flying the canopy!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I think it was Jeb Corliss who was attempting get a ramp/slide financed. He is all over YouTube. Gary Connery is the one who landed into the boxes.

Here is one of Jeb Corliss's most well known videos.
    [video=youtube_share;TWfph3iNC-k]http://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k[/video]

Fun fact: Corliss was kicked out of the Air Force Academy just 3 weeks before graduation. He was out on a solo flight in one of their little prop planes when he damaged the prop and engine...by hitting a cow.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Fun fact: Corliss was kicked out of the Air Force Academy just 3 weeks before graduation. He was out on a solo flight in one of their little prop planes when he damaged the prop and engine...by hitting a cow.

Damn those high jumping cows! ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom