• ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone seen this issue with an SKS?

Was at the range last week and after about 30 rounds (that day), the small piston just sheared right off causing the long cylinder to slide right back into the chamber. Luckily, although the shell didn't eject, it didn't jam too tight.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen and what kinds of parts people keep on hand in case of failures like this.

picture.php

Thanks...

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There was no monkey business. It has been maintained and cleaned after every use. Probably has about 300 rounds through it or less. No signs of fatigue or any wear.

The shots were not fired quickly. Just plinking at the 100 yd. range.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I highly doubt that is a common failure... while it MAY have been a fluke or a bad weld, if you continue to have the same issues even after part replacement, i would suspect a gas hole that is slightly to large injecting to much force into the piston.... not saying thats what it is, but if you break one or two more that would be one of the first places i would look next.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Never seen the like from an SKS before and I've owned about a dozen over the years. IMO, you might want to put a new spring in along with the new secondary piston. FWIW, the secondary piston springs on all of mine have been "compound", consisting of two wires twisted into one spring. The one in the photo looks to be a single wire, which might've been a factor in the rod's failure. A weak or worn spring would subject the piston to more impact at the end of its travel. The added stress could set-up a "hysteresis" fracture along a machining cut line.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the insight and advice, everyone. It was a Yugo, not a Norinco.

I'll definitely check the spring. It is two wires together to make the spring, but a "weak" spring could impact the force on the piston.

Thanks again for the insight and information...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Not seen that failure before. If you want to replace with made in the USA parts, check out the Tapco parts. I am running the Tapco gas piston and operating rod (the part that you had failed) with much success.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I agree, I've never had an issue with any of the internal Tapco parts, however, I would never recommend their mags to anyone.

Sorry for the thread jack....but the Tapco 20rd SKS mags are widely acclaimed to be some of the most reliable aftermarket magazines for the SKS.

Did you have some trouble with them? I know many folks, including myself, who have used them with absolutely zero trouble right out of the box.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom