• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    This looks awesome! I was debating on trading my "tacticooled" sks off, but this just makes me want to rebuild the whole thing! Can't wait to see cut down pictures.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You know I like the color as well. If the person who traded me the SKS, cough BSUrugger cough, had done a little better job with the duracoat, I might keep it. I think I will probably keep it like it is until I finish it completely, then I will probably touch up the color.

I just so happen to have a already bubbed SKS that Ive been debating on doing stuff to and after seeing yours has really made me want to Duracoat mine something close to that color. Just makes it kinda different from all the others you see. Cant wait to hear how she shoots!:ar15:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I just so happen to have a already bubbed SKS that Ive been debating on doing stuff to and after seeing yours has really made me want to Duracoat mine something close to that color. Just makes it kinda different from all the others you see. Cant wait to hear how she shoots!:ar15:

As you can see in the pictures before I started tearing this thing apart, the black and OD was actually pretty nice looking in the original stock. I think it looks even better in this one.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Today's saga of the SKS modernization project is the Bolt mod. The reason I did this is so I can drop the mag or insert the mag with the bolt closed. This was a very easy mod to do and only took about 30 minutes and an angle grinder. Took the two side lips off and voila! Works like a charm. Next will be a Murry's firing pin and hopefully a freakin' range trip....

I should have taken pics of before but forgot. Here are the after pics

file-4.jpg

file-3.jpg

I cleaned it up with a little frog lube and holy crap you should have seen the gunk running off this thing. It was incredible how clean the froglube got the bolt. It is slicker than snot too.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yeah I forgot, but as luck would have it, I have another SKS that does not have this done to it, nor do I plan on doing it to it, so I will take some pics later tonight of the bolt. super simple. Here is the video that I used as a guide, it should help

Good deal, thanks for posting the vid :yesway:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Sorry sgreen3, I was going to take pics today, but my camera was dead and using my cell phone would have ticked you off more than given you an example.

Today on the update, I replaced the original firing pin with a Murry's firing pin. Simple install, took about 2 minutes.

Going to shoot it tomm, will post pics and videos.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ha ha, I know what ya mean the pics from my phone are not the best either. That Murry's firing pin is a very nice upgrade. Cant wait to hear how it shoots!

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Well I got out to the range today. It fired. Had some issues. For the most part the gun cycled fine, the problem was the trigger link resetting. In the videos you can see me hitting the stock. That's because if you hit the stock it will reset the trigger. It didn't do it every time, just enough to tick me off. Should just need a little adjusting and it should be good. But before all of that, it is time to strip it and get it to menzzer37 to have the barrel chopped and threaded!

Here are the videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJUY6yM2yJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBiezBjnl1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqH93C__dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvEOg4rVv1Y

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Looks good Stainer! Is that trigger link something your gonna be able to get lined out with it? Other than that seemed like it ran just fine. Were you just shooting steel case ammo?

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    What are you going to put on the muzzle? Brake, Supressor mount, etc?
    Suppressor is the route I'm headed

Looks good Stainer! Is that trigger link something your gonna be able to get lined out with it? Other than that seemed like it ran just fine. Were you just shooting steel case ammo?

Yes, the trigger link just needs to be turned to tighten it. It has a turnbuckle style connection near the rear for adjustments. And I only shoot steel cased out of my SKS's and AK's

Nick040905

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Any updates on this? Im in the process of trying to find someone to cut and thread my barrel as well and so far im not having any luck. Any ideas?

Top Bottom