• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    OK I know I am going to get a lot of responses of "what are you doing to that beautiful piece of history" or "that is stupid leave it like it is" but I don't care about what you think about my idea here, it is my gun. I am looking for constructive help here.

I have a Norinco SKS that I plan on using in my Shernic Gun Works bull pup stock. I just got notification that the stock will ship this friday so it is time to prepare other steps. If anyone has not seen what they look like finished here you go

634550024518173086lvygavfh.jpg

This is not my pic, just one that I found.

After looking on SGworks site, they state that once finished in the stock it should be an overall length of just over 30". Since my barrel is 20" That looks like I have about 4" to lose on both without needing a stamp.I have been looking at a lot of threads on other forums and getting ideas. Getting the barrel off seems to be a crap shoot for Norinco's as they may be pinned or the may not be in some cases depending on factory.

So here are my questions. First, do you think that cutting 4" off the barrel will cause any cycling issues? My guess is no as there are paratrooper models that have 16" barrels and work fine. And second is it possible to cut, crown, and thread the barrel without taking it out of the receiver? Lastly does anyone know a gunsmith that would take on such a task as I do not have the tools to accomplish this type of operation?

Thanks to all who help and I look forward to posting pics once all is said and done.
    :ingo:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'd want the barrel naked. You can chuck it in the lathe and do all that without moving it. If you try to do it all while it's mounted, you're liable to end up bubba-ing it into uselessness. You have to cut it off, crown it, turn it down, then thread it. I've never removed an SKS barrel, but it would have to be worth it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I would not worry too much about the history of the rifle. As far as I can tell, most SKS's history consists of being manufactured, put in a crate, then a couple of decades later, pulled out of the crate and sold surplus. The history of the rifle most likely begins with you and if that means modifying it to make it more effective as a home defense weapon or whatever, then great. Someday, your grandkids may hold that rifle up and tell their kids the story of how it saved your life. That will be the history worth saving.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience in cutting and threading a barrel, as my SKS is still stock. The bullpup idea is pretty interesting. If it works out well, I may look into going that route myself.

happyfiero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Campbellsburg IN.
    its not that hard to do i did not remove barrel
    but cost more , then to send it out.
    needs cut easy
    need faced and crowned not so east / at the 16 1/2 or so the sks is to large for a 14/1 so barrel must be reduced to fit the split die
    a TAT and die, big handle not to bad
    and now you have to buy new front aftermarket sight

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I would just take it out for poops and giggles
    And threading it should be like threading anything else
    Cuting, cut it sqaure !

OD of barrel,thread pitch,die needed ?

I have a large die tool

Get the die and I'll help ya do it

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Well I think I have got part of it figured out. With the help of the SKSboards I have found that removing a pinned sks barrel is not nearly as hard as i previously thought. This gets rid of my crisis that I had. I now will remove the barrel and send it off to have it threaded. For any of you who are curious, here is the thread:

SKS Sporter Done! Includes pinned barrel removal/install tutorial w/photos!

Top Bottom