• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm going to be building a house in a 12 acre woods that has a lot of downed trees, etc that needs cleaned up. I'm wanting to get a skid steer with a grapple bucket to help with it. What I plan to do is use the skid steer to pick up towards the end of a log and pick it up to waist level and saw it up in to smaller pieces. It is much easier to saw it when the log isn't on the ground binding up your bar. Here's my biggest question. How much would a 24" diameter log 20 foot long weigh? I'm not necessarily going to pick the whole thing up, just one end and work my way down. I will want to be able to pick up a log at least 10' long to move to a burn pile, etc.

I'll also use it to plow snow and do general landscaping type of work. I don't want a huge on as I want to be able to maneuver it around in the woods. I'm thinking I want at least 50 hp and 1500 # capacity. Any ideas?

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    I would think you would be better off by getting a tractor with a front end loader. After the initial cleanup in the woods, you will get much more use out of a tractor in the future for things such as moving snow, grading gravel, mowing, etc....

I cut tons of firewood every year, and I have managed to do all of it with a tractor. It also works nicely to drag the bigger logs to one location. If the log would happen to be too big/long for the tractor to handle, you can always 1/2 it then go.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you get the right deal on a skid steer - do it! They are a blast to use (as you probably already know). They are more stable and stronger in some areas than a very good tractor. But 3-point/PTO accessories are more common and less money.

I've used both for skidders. Tracked Cats are smooth rides but can slip and slide over stumps and downed trees. Wheeled Cats lack the clearance to straddle some things out in the thickets. Tractors (unless cabbed) are more exposed and offer little protection, but easier for me to hope on or off.

If you want to go econo, a used tractor with grapple bucket and some good long chains to drag the bigger ones around.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I originally wanted a compact tractor but started to lean towards a skid steer. The advantage of the compact tractor is being able to use a bush hog. But I'd lose the ability to use the many attachments for a skid steer such as a jackhammer. I think skid steer attachments are more readily available for rental. If I go the tractor route, I definitely want front wheel assist. If I go the skid steer route, I may get a smaller tractor in the future.

I'm debating on whether to even get a trailer or not. If I don't have a way to move it, I don't have to worry about anyone wanting to borrow it.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I would think you would be better off by getting a tractor with a front end loader. After the initial cleanup in the woods, you will get much more use out of a tractor in the future for things such as moving snow, grading gravel, mowing, etc....

I cut tons of firewood every year, and I have managed to do all of it with a tractor. It also works nicely to drag the bigger logs to one location. If the log would happen to be too big/long for the tractor to handle, you can always 1/2 it then go.

+1 I have use both pices of equipment for this type of work and i go for the tractor almost all the time. The tractors ability to drag the logs better than the skid is a huge benefit. Also, if you are working on any kind of slope you are going to appreciate the stability of a tractor over tippy skid. You can get a grapple for a tractor but unless you are entirely clear cutting the 12 acres a bucket with a couple good chains would work fine. A nice used 30hp+ 4x4 compact tractor with power stearing would be ideal. Don't worry as much about the hp but more about the weight of the tractor. The heavier, the better.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Rental rates aren't too bad when you start renting by the month. Would 1 or 2 months be enough to get your job done? The rental house can deliver it, saving you the hassle of truck and trailer.

A 700 or 800 series Bobcat will pick up the log you mentioned in your OP. My recommendation would be to rent an 800+ series and insist on diesel. The 800s might not even be available in gas, I dunno. I've had a lot of experience with the Bobcat brand. First, a 743 gas engine, then a 743 diesel, then an 800 something (853? maybe?) with a diesel engine. If you are able to get the 800 stuck, you will need a helicopter to get it out.

I can honestly say I've never used another machine that has impressed me as much as the 800 diesel Bobcat. Having said that, it weighs in the area of 4 tons so towing it isn't the easiest, unless you already own a serious duty trailer.

Best of luck on your project. A bucket without grapples is also a necessity, and you will use it much more than you expect. My father and I built his house in the same manner you are discussing yours, and we used it a LOT.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh, BTW, you might consider simply using a set of pallet forks to haul logs in lieu of a grapple hook. We didn't have access to a grapple and the forks worked very well for us. The only problem is that you have to drive carefully to keep the logs from moving if they are very long. Start by spreading the forks as much as possible, and the likelihood of problems decreases greatly.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just measured the land off. According to the appraisal of the entire property, the woods was 12.1 acres. According to my measurements with a measuring wheel, I came up with 17.86 acres. It was 1210' x 643'. Which equals 778,030 sq ft and divided by 43,560, I get 17.86.

The appraisal is worded to the affect of aerial mapping and road frontage estimates. I can understand my measurements being off and acre or 2 but over 5? Oh well, it will just be that much more woods to put my house in.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Several gents I worked with bought an older dozer to dig a pond then sell the dozer to the next fellow to do the same. You might consider buying a tractor/loader/backhoe then when done using sell.

I thought about that as well but I have many, many downed trees and it will take months for me to ever get it all cleaned up. Even after that, I will need something to help maintain it after I do get it cleaned up. I plan to use the skid steer to plow my driveway and do other various odd jobs. I plan to do some trenching for out buildings. I'm thinking I will go with a skid steer and if I ever put out any pasture, I will get an older cheaper tractor to put a bush hog on. I'm figuring I won't be able to move logs much longer than 10' anyway because of all the other trees.

I definitely need to get a forestry guy from DNR out to advise me on what to get rid of, what to keep, number of trees to have per 100 sq ft, etc. I want this woods to be as healthy as possible. It's been neglected for several years. There are some really nice walnuts in there that are at least 24" in diameter and about 20-25' up before any of the branches. I'll probably have a few logged out but not many. I need to clear out some trees to put my house and barn but I'm trying to find spots that will affect my mature trees minimally.

Now if I ever put my pond in, I plan to buy an excavator and a dozer and reselling them when I get done.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've been looking on ebay, etc and found this outfit.
    CASE 40XT 2004 WITH SEVERAL EXTRAS LOW HOURS - eBay (item 300341629806 end time Sep-03-09 19:23:18 PDT)
    I'm kind of hoping to find a nice used one that has some stuff with it. I was kind of joking about the trailer earlier but I'm sure I will want one though. The specs on this one are 1500 # working load and 3000 # tipping load. If I only intend to pick a long log off of the ground that is close to the 3000# mark and not move around with it, I think that skid steer would be big enough. I tried the calculator and a walnut log 24" at the base and 20 at the top that is 20' long is 2966 #. If I'm only picking up one end to cut, I think that skid steer would be big enough for what I need.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Skid steers weigh a lot, so be aware of ground compaction. You can hang one up pretty good, and they're a bear to get out. I'd get a tracked one for sure with a wooded area that hasn't been used much. The years of leaves and vegetation rotting makes for some darn near bottomless mud, and even dry the softness of the ground can be a mess with a wheeled skid steer. The alternative is a set of removable tracks for wheels, but still, the weight of a skid steer is something you'll want to keep in mind. I went with a compact TLB just for that reason. Flotation.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    We got a 763 Bobcat with grapple bucket and a 28 HP older front wheel assist tractor sans power steering.

I always opt for the bobcat when cleaning up the woods and trails, however my dad always uses the trctor. Part of it is what you feel comfortable with and what you know how to use..well not just use, but drive off-chamber, loaded, over rough terrain. I dont like sitting high unprotected onthe tractor, but he likes the openness of it.

Rent each for a week and use them to see what you like and think you will use more. 10-15-20,0000 for a bobcat or tractor should definitely justify 500 dollars rental to test them out and see what you really want.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have and operate both 4wd tractor with loader, and skid steer. Neither have a grapple bucket. Several good points have been made for both. A popular misconception is skid steers do well off road. In comparison to a forklift this is true. Compared to a 4wd tractor, they do awful. In dry conditions, a skid steer will do fine in the woods, with a light dew the skid steer becomes challenging. Mud a tractor moves, a skid steer becomes nearly useless. I use forks on both for trees with good success. Skid steers are far more maneauverable in tight spots, but a tractor will by far outpull a skid steer. They really are two totally different machines with different purposes, but either can do a limited range of each others abilities. Figure out your long range needs, then adapt your choice for the short term. Hope this helps, and stay safe whatever you choose.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One thing not mentioned here is maintenance. Skid steers are notoriously expensive to upkeep. Maintenance alone can be a MAJOR expense.
    BEFORE you buy, find a local mechanic familiar with hydraulics, and get an idea of the maintenance schedule.
    I've used a LOT of skid steers. They are fun, and useful, but expensive to own(AFTER purchase price)
    You may decide to go with the tractor after-all!

Top Bottom