• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    It really depends on the situation. If someone was getting physical with my boss, I would intervene only to break them up while at the same time instructing a co-worker to dial 911. My firearm would never be drawn unless I thought my life was in danger.

If someone got physical with me, it would really depend on the circumstances. Indiana Code requires that you feel that you are in danger of death or severe bodily damage. A black eye is not enough to draw your gun IMO, unless you honestly believe that the threat will continue resulting in severe bodily damage.

Well stated.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree with "commanding presence", and placing your hand on the gun, holstered.

Pushing around, throwing stuff? Nah.

Got them on the ground throwing punches into their face? Yeah.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    If someone was going to beat up my boss I would respectfully keep my distance. Just kidding, I would intervene. But not with a firearm unless I truly feared for my life, or his. I would probably grab the biggest wrench around and see what happens first.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    I think everyone should look at it from the bosses perspective..... If you had an unruly customer becoming loud and starting to get physical with you.... Would you want one of your employees to help out.... not necessarily intervene to have them deal with it but to have another person as backup??

I used to do security at a bar in Broad Ripple and actually had an unruly patron take a swing at one of the owners of the bar.... Needless to say he was choked out, drug outside to the curb and while he was on the curb, he was held in a kimura armbar from the kneeling position until the police arrived..... Needless to say that the owner was so impressed and grateful with how I handled the situation I received a pay increase plus tickets to the Pacers v Heat game in his luxury box...... :)

Granted my example doesn't really play into the OP because of my position as security but put yourself in his shoes.....

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Cant use a Firearm to break up a first fight, that would be wrong, IMO..:twocents:. Chances are the Loud mouth jerk would call the cops on you!

(Tell some B. S. )

Just would NOT want to explain my weapon being the only one there and Flashed.

(flip da coin) :draw:
    Ummm, if the hitter is much bigger and stronger than the hittee the disparity could invite the use of a firearm. If there is a real possibility that the victim could be seriously injured or killed by a well placed blow then you or he would be justified in using a gun. I'm a crotchety old guy and I'll guarantee that some 20 or 30 something puncher isn't going to land one on me if I'm armed and can successfully defend myself.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    deadly force

is not justified in one on one hand to hand combat in almost all instances.... that being said i seriously doubt this problem would or could escalate to violence.... it seems alot of people on this forum are dying to unholster their weapon???? that is always my last resort in almost all situations!!! even in justified situations it will result in intense scrutiny on the shooters part..... that being said i would protect my boss as needed but otherwise stay out of situation.... im sure the op's boss handled the concern well.... in any retail work people will be exposed to unruly customers that almost always result in loud foul language and posturing at best.... a strong amount of self control on GG part is usually all thats needed......

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    If I liked my boss I'd Intervene to try to break up the fight by what ever means available, according to the escalation of violence. If my boss was and A** **** I'd probly just take a break out side! ;)

OUCH! Thankfully I've never had a boss that I didn't get along with.

If my boss wasnt family, then I think I would still feel obligated in keeping the peace.
    Might be a residual effect from the Marine Corps.

It is the residual effect from ethics being instilled in you at some point.

I've never been in the military or worked as a LEO but I've got a similar mindset that was instilled in me by pretty much every male family member on both sides for 4 generations who were/are mil/leo.

I think sometimes (and I'm not saying this is the case in this situation at all) people feel untouchable and can say or do whatever they want. I work with lots of people like this. Ha ha!

Yep, I think if you're man enough to talk smack and act tough then you aught to be man enough to prove it.

A lot of good answers here, nothing I can really add, but I like this one best :)

Anyone who comes into your shop and thinks they can make a fuss like that is going to be in for a very rude (and potentially painful) awakening IMO.

It's not in my job description.

You must be a union guy....:cool:

is not justified in one on one hand to hand combat in almost all instances.... that being said i seriously doubt this problem would or could escalate to violence.... it seems alot of people on this forum are dying to unholster their weapon???? that is always my last resort in almost all situations!!! even in justified situations it will result in intense scrutiny on the shooters part..... that being said i would protect my boss as needed but otherwise stay out of situation.... im sure the op's boss handled the concern well.... in any retail work people will be exposed to unruly customers that almost always result in loud foul language and posturing at best.... a strong amount of self control on GG part is usually all thats needed......

^^ There's a lot of truth in this advice. I'd be likely to intervene physically without the use of a firearm in an event such as the OP.

I see some responses on here about un holstering during physical altercations (fistfights/chestbumps/shoving) and think "Man, I guess when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" and then when I post advocating the use of a firearm against an armed attacker wielding a crowbar who's attacking my vehicle with wife/child inside, I'M somehow the internet tough guy...:n00b:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OUCH! Thankfully I've never had a boss that I didn't get along with.

I've had two bosses, one at my last job that just let me go in May and another back in the late 90's that I really still harbor ill feelings for. The one in the Ninties was just a real pain the A$$ about "Professioalism". The one at my last job was the only boss that I ever nearly came across the desk at him with Physical violence in mind. After he made a particularly insensitive comment to me shortly after the death of my youngest son. I've also had a couple that I really wish I was still working for and would follow them to HELL and back but got laid off from those jobs!

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    After he made a particularly insensitive comment to me shortly after the death of my youngest son.

Pinshooter, I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, and I'm almost 100% sure you handled the situation better than I would have if that situation didn't wind up with someone bleeding.

I've had people be *******s about when I had cancer but to me it's nowhere near as touchy as I would be about something relating to my son. I can handle people ragging on me (mostly because I just don't care what 99% of people say ). I have yet to be tested with people ragging on me about my son.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    From my perspective, I have had a few unruly customers. Most of the time they just want to be heard and after they have the opportunity to vent you can reason or work something out. God forbid an employee come up and threaten one with a gun unless physical violence is going on and even then only in cause of severe injury.
    I would not mind some posturing for back up but still no gun, I have as of yet to see any need for a drawn gun. :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom