• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Whack jobs like that guy can pop up anywhere.

It's one of the reasons each of my daughters chose to carry when they were at school and why we supported their decision to do so.

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I think you are getting good, sound advice, but understand:

If what you are saying about this kid is true, it almost sounds like he has been taking some hallucinogenics and has very possibly gone off the deep end. Just like binge drinking, may college students get out and start partying and think that "just a little" is OK. Just know that some of the best hallucinogenics in the state come from one of the most well known colleges in Indiana. That's a fact.

If in fact, what you say is true, then this young man has lost touch with reality completely and is very dangerous. And if it in fact, is the case, then it's very possible that simple "stop drop and roll" techniques may very well not work on him. He needs to be monitored by administration VERY closely and delt with quickly.

Prayers for your DIL.

Last edited:

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forget pepper spray, how about a gun??? This kid seems like the type to come in and shoot the place up. Tell her to conceal it and not tell anyone. What they dont know wont hurt them.

Plus, its legal (as long as they get permission from Big Brother in the form of a LTCH)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Forget pepper spray, how about a gun??? This kid seems like the type to come in and shoot the place up. Tell her to conceal it and not tell anyone. What they dont know wont hurt them.

1. In a previous post Jack Burton says his daughter-in-law doesn't like guns.

2. We don't know what state she is in, and most colleges would try to expel students for carrying firearms on campus. Now, in a state like Indiana there may be a chance that she emerges from a lawsuit victorious, if she is caught. But that's time, money, and interruption to her education. Is this a risk she wants to take?

3. From what I can tell there seems to be a general worry without a specific threat. There are some students like the one that is alarming Jack Burton. They may not be many, but they are not few. Most of them turn out annoying, but harmless. I think at this stage the main goal is to alert the authorities, and to come up with some sort of defensive plan should things get worse. I hope I don't sound harsh if I say the latter is really for Jack's and his daughter-in-law's benefit and peace of mind. Training with some sort of defensive plan or tool will calm them down and give them the confidence to live their lives without too much worry or fear.

If *I* were a student in that class, I'd try to get the college to take action by mobilizing other students in the class. I'd stick with the pepper spray as my defensive tool until I have reason to believe that the troubled man has a good chance of turning seriously violent. Protecting my life is worth getting into trouble with the law. Being over-vigilant isn't. Somewhere in there good judgment will have to draw a line. Good luck, guys.

Da Bing

Cool Hand Luke

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1. In a previous post Jack Burton says his daughter-in-law doesn't like guns.

2. We don't know what state she is in, and most colleges would try to expel students for carrying firearms on campus. Now, in a state like Indiana there may be a chance that she emerges from a lawsuit victorious, if she is caught. But that's time, money, and interruption to her education. Is this a risk she wants to take?

1. My mistake, I did not see that.

2. I guess I assumed that she went to Ball State or IU or Purdue here in Indiana. Probably shouldnt have assumed that either.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    1. My mistake, I did not see that.

2. I guess I assumed that she went to Ball State or IU or Purdue here in Indiana. Probably shouldnt have assumed that either.

No need to apologize. Hope I didn't seem like I was picking on you. Besides, maybe Jack has more than one daughter-in-law.

Da Bing

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Keep up the good advice you are already giving her as far as being aware and having a plan. :yesway:

Also I would look at OC spray. Spray allows you to still keep some distance as opposed to a stun gun. I am not saying stun guns are not effective, but giving the background you gave us about her not being big on force this may be better for her. If possible get one of the kinds that you can either refill or buy two so she can practice at least once to see how it works. There are some brands out there that you can buy a practice spray insert for this purpose.

Good luck and hope all ends up ok without her having to actually use any of the advise.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Plus, its legal (as long as they get permission from Big Brother in the form of a LTCH)

Horrible idea. If she gets expelled, good luck finding another place to go to school.... that's after the grief of the arrest.
    I'm under the assumption that the young lady is not too seasoned with firearms. If such is the case, she will slip up, and someone less forward thinking will dime her right out of school.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I think the advice you gave her about being on alert and knowing how to get out is best. She needs to recognize that he could be a threat, and not get desensitized to the guys craziness. If he were ever to pull a weapon or escalate is outburst to any kind of attack she needs not to be frozen in fear but react and escape quickly. Of course some sort of personal protection appropriate to her environment would always be a good idea... (and the knowledge how to use it) . If you you're going to carry pepper spray, buy two and use one so you are familiar with how it works.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Pepper spray if she does not already have it.

That ^. Of the brands I've had occasion to look over, Pepper spray is one of those "you get what you pay for" things.
    The cheaper you go (in the ten dollar range "Mace" brand), the more (it seems) they "fog"...which, in an enclosed room, means your daughter-in-law will encounter the effects of the "fall out", too. The stuff that costs a little more (I'm thinking somewhere around the $35ish Kimber Guardian Angel spray) not only shoots in a condensed stream, it shoots that stream HARD. I think the paperwork I read said something like 80 or 90mph...hard enough to even shoot through a mask or knock glasses off. Like getting hit in the face with a baseball bat made of pepper spray...

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've only had experience spraying dogs, but here's my thoughts:

I would definitely recommend stream over fog, unless you've got your back to a door and can run from the fog after you've used it, or spray it behind you as you run, a la James Bond car with smoke screen. FWIW, the stream products require a bit of aim and presence of mind to use. Attackers aren't much for holding still and waiting for a spray, so you've got to be comfortable using it while both you and your target are in motion -- that means buy two and use up one practicing, especially if DIL is not a "combat mindset" kind of person.

Also, one should NOT rely on the spray to work. Motivated attackers can and will return again and again to get more. Depending on this guy's level of crazy, he may or may not fall into the "motivated" category. It's probably impossible to tell until the SHTF. And sometimes it takes a while for them to even notice the spray... kind of like when you eat a really hot pepper and don't really notice until you're just about to swallow it. Spray, get away. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Reading the first two paragraphs of the OP, it seems like this guy is very disruptive and should be refused entry to the area the Profs and your DIL are. Since this behavior is fairly recent and seems to be escalating, immediate action is required. She should definitely never be there alone, and I would be asking the powers that be how they are going to deal with this unacceptable situation.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    First off, get her a good can of pepper spray. Seriously. I made my daughter carry one when she went off to college.

Most universities have a policy against carrying handguns This one does, (though it may be illegal). If she can get a carry, that would be the best way to go.

My daughter is now working ER.....and says that MOST of the ER nurses carry handguns in their purses. She asked for me to teach her to shoot, just in case a situation came up. And I did.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    No need to apologize. Hope I didn't seem like I was picking on you. Besides, maybe Jack has more than one daughter-in-law.

Da Bing

No, just the one... but you are correct... she has an inordinate fear of guns from earlier traumatic events in her life. The university is one of the big state U's here in Indiana so she is precluded from carrying if she wanted to.

She was actually able to tease me about her carrying in this situation which I consider a significant step forward in the ongoing discussion of firearms. It's gone from "I don't want to think about it" to "It's thinkable but I'll still reject it.:)

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Thank you to all of you for your advice. It would clog up the board for individual thanks but please know that many of your suggestions have been most helpful.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Does not sound like the type of person that will have the ability to use any weapon in high stress moment. Don't count on that being an option.

Complain to security, the administration, school newspaper whatever. Get the word out, these days they will act if it becomes public.

I think she should position herself in classes for a quick escape out alternate doors or windows. Have a plan on where she will go or hide in each area. Ask the prof's what they are going to do about this?

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Have her contact the department head and inform him or her that she are going to contact security/police with her concerns.

This is the place to start. My experience with universities is that they typically are very concerned with this sort of scenario. I expect them to react to her concerns significantly.

Terry

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom