• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My daughter in law is going to a major college with tens of thousands of students. She spends quite a bit of time in the professors' area because of the nature of her studies. One male student is taking a single class in her department this semester so he has access to the spaces where my DIL spends most of her time.

He has been coming in to the spaces the past week, having what seems like full blown psychotic breakdowns. Ranting about how he has solved the space time continuum, marking nonsensical formulas on all the whiteboards and declaring all the professors are wrong in what they teach. He goes into the prof's offices and starts in arguing with them.

The DIL is not real physically fit, and is kind of high strung herself. She is getting really concerned about this. I explained to her the color code and told her she needed to shift into orange the moment she sees this kid. I explained about never being in a room with out a plan on getting out quickly, and that her priority is to ensure that this kid is never between her and the exit.

They "may" be doing something about it this week but I doubt it. I know the profs want to be pro-active from what they told the DIL but their hands are somewhat tied since the kid has not really threatened violence or tried to get physical.

Other than what I mentioned is there any specific, realistic advice that you all can provide. Keep in mind that she is not the type to deal well with being physical herself.

And... as a note... I would prefer you not to criticize her for the burdens she bears in her sheepfulness. She is my family, you know, and we do love her.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sounds like some of the similar traits (psychotic ranting, authority issues, etc.) that a-hole had who shot up Tucson. I think your advice is sound.

You said the "may" be doing something about it...she needs to complain and ensure that they DO something. Although doing something may just escilate the situation. Catch-22...bad situation all around.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    pepper spray is always a solid option. Also, they sell Flashlights/stunguns that work pretty good (its a flashlight that has a conductive surface so if the trigger for the stungun part is tripped, it acts like a regular stungun).

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    the stungun+ flashlight apparatus' are relatively cheap, although check the schools policy on pepper spray and stunguns before you do anything drastic.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Never discount the effectiveness of a well constructed pen to the eyeball.... in that environment a pen can be kept not only close, but in hand without drawing suspicion.

Remind her that if she feels she is going to have to use it, do not wield it like a weapon - holding it in an aggressive manner would be most people's first reaction, hoping to discourage an attacker - but to increase her chances if it comes down to it, surprise is key.

Even while backing up, a small framed person can cause serious injury... that can be really hard to do if untrained with a fist.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I would definitely make sure at the very least she has some pepper spray in her purse our on a key chain, and most important show her how to use it!

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I suggest a Cold Steel Rajah II, it can be hid in a purse, and take a mans arm off in need be.

Edged weapons are a general "No-No" thats an automatic expulsion for possession and if she were to use it, she would either get jail time or sued (either one is not worth the trouble).

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    What about the handy dandy rape whistle, a good one can shatter the ear drums of anyone within 10 feet (nonlethal, cant result in a possible expulsion, they're cheap, and they work great as an initial defense item... when combined with a knee to the groin).

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The DIL is not real physically fit, and is kind of high strung herself. She is getting really concerned about this. I explained to her the color code and told her she needed to shift into orange the moment she sees this kid. I explained about never being in a room with out a plan on getting out quickly, and that her priority is to ensure that this kid is never between her and the exit.

I can't tell what she is/you are worried about. Losing valuable class time to someone possibly with a mental problem? Getting creeped out in general? Feeling like he might harass fellow students? Active shooter? What is your/her threat assessment?

I'd be cautious about recommending various forms of weapons (improved or otherwise), unless she is trained in their uses. Like Jeff Cooper says, owning a piano doesn't make you a pianist.

Da Bing

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Make sure she contacts security. Some of the bigger universities makes their guards get the LE license (so they can carry). Make her have a meeting with either the head of security or the head of her department to express her concerns.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    This sounds like a perfect excuse to buy one of the Kimber JXP pepper blasters - and no, I'm not talking about that piddly little red thing either. I'm talking about the full blown, double barrel, re-loadable, police riot control version with the built in laser and picatiny accessory rail :D

I'm not allowed to carry a gun on campus either, and that thing looks like some serious non lethal firepower!

LOOKY - LOOKY:
    http://www.botachtactical.com/liactjpxjetp.html

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Make sure she contacts security. Some of the bigger universities makes their guards get the LE license (so they can carry). Make her have a meeting with either the head of security or the head of her department to express her concerns.

THIS!

but, I'd go one step further and notify the school admin of his strange behavior. Universities that stuff like that seriously nowadays. If she puts that guys name on "paper," and heaven forbid something happen to someone involving him, well,.... that a problem.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd go with pepper spray no matter what. Also talk to her and find out if this guy has any pattern to when he shows up, perhaps keep a diary, and then she'll know when to use the buddy system, at least two buddies! If Pepper spray is forbidden and She does not want to break the rules. Get her a strobing Flashlight, theres one called a Dazzler, I think. It supposed to use bright light or a laser to strobe, and when you point it at an assailant and the light is suppose to temporally confuse them and give one enough time to run! The look just like a regular flashlight, not sure where to find them, search for them on the INTERNET.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Thanks for the thoughts. For some odd reason I totally blanked out on pepper spray. I don't know the college rules but that is certainly worth checking into. I'll ask her about the ability to buddy up when in the offices.

the department head is aware of the situation and I may have more info this weekend as to what, if anything, they are planning on doing. Because the kid is taking one class in the department it is easier for him to claim justification on being in the offices.

As far as the threat assessment that is an unknown. There have been no verbal threats, just a lot of really weird, "I know more than anyone else" type material, along with some shouted arguments with the profs. The DIL is conversant from other experiences with people with mental illness and is convinced the kid is beginning a full fledged schizophrenic breakdown. Someone like that can spend their lifetime and never hurt a soul, while others turn into Cho and Lounger.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    As far as the threat assessment that is an unknown. There have been no verbal threats, just a lot of really weird, "I know more than anyone else" type material, along with some shouted arguments with the profs. The DIL is conversant from other experiences with people with mental illness and is convinced the kid is beginning a full fledged schizophrenic breakdown. Someone like that can spend their lifetime and never hurt a soul, while others turn into Cho and Lounger.

Some schools pay attention to such "at risk" students. Get the guy's name on the list, and hopefully one of these days he'll be convinced that he needs to get treatment, or at least pipe down so other students can learn. I'm sure this guy is bugging the profs to no end. It's one thing when the faculty complains, it's quite another when students complains en masse. If it's really that bad, she needs to file some sort of complaint along with the other students in the class. This will get people's attention. For this sort of stuff, you will have to go outside the academic department, which isn't set up to deal with problem students. So it's probably not enough that the department head knows about it.

If she's expecting that he'd attack her, then some sort of self-defense training seems to be in order. Maybe practice situations in which she had to deploy a pepper spray. You, being a loving father-in-law, can volunteer to play the part of the attacker. Give her some practice spraying the bad guy. She'll remember you for it.

There are projectile pepper sprays: Kimber Blaster and JPX and this company called PepperBall. I think PepperBall may have the greatest range. The law enforcement officers can speak with greater authority to this, but I have the impression that pepper sprays in general can vary in effect. Some people fall to the ground sobbing, others will continue attacking you. It seems reasonable not to expect the spray to stop someone right away, so this is not sufficient for an active shooter situation.

Da Bing

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom