• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ohh wow now that's worth investing in a good machine and I would be buying ever do no casting for me. Thank you for the info so looks like it's much cheaper. Maan with today's priced it's just stupid.
    Just try to buy smart, buy good equipment.
    On occasion you can find good deals on powder and bullets at gun shows, heck even yard sales some times.
    There are a few threads here that are posted with good deals with primers/ powder and bullets that are on sale.
    Good luck and have fun.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I will just say you'll never get 9mm or 7.62commie down to surplus spam can/bucket 'o bullets prices unless you're discounting all your time and have a good supply of lead already. Lets just say conservatively you're using 8-10c worth of primer and 10-15c worth of powder, plus the labor of resizing and loading it.... hard to save money on something you can buy for <40cpr. It is going to be pennies per round of savings ($10-40 per thousand rounds). Anything that is available that the military uses (223, 308, 9mm) is going to basically be the cheapest that it can be. The real benefits start to come in when you're reloading for like 45-70 or match 6.5 creedmoor where you can load something for 50-75cpr that costs $1.50 a pop at the store and suddenly you're saving 750 bucks per thousand rounds. Wanna go crazy with this? Buy anything chambered in a Weatherby cartridge and save $3 a round every time you pull the trigger.

I load some 223 (match grade high grain projectile stuff only), a very small amount of 9mm (defensive JHP loads for practice), and mostly rifle rounds. 6 arc, 6.5 creedmoor, 8.6 blackout, 7mm-08 these are rounds I can save 50c-$1.50 per round loading myself over store bought. If I want to dump some noise and 9mm into a berm I buy a Freedom Bucket from Academy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Reloading will save you money no matter what cartridge you are loading for. I've been reloading since the early '70's. I've always saved money, especially when loading match quality ammo. I still shoot a lot of .45 ACP and really save there! Reloading gives you a lot of options on ammo, regarding quality and variety, instead of being hemmed in to buy whatever is cheapest from factory ammo. The bullet is the costliest component. If you stay with cast lead or coated cast lead, you will save much more money than copper jacketed or the dreaded copper plated bullets. The only real excuse for not reloading is that you don't have anyplace to reload, although you can reload with surprisingly small available space, or you can't afford reloading equipment.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I will just say you'll never get 9mm or 7.62commie down to surplus spam can/bucket 'o bullets prices unless you're discounting all your time and have a good supply of lead already. Lets just say conservatively you're using 8-10c worth of primer and 10-15c worth of powder, plus the labor of resizing and loading it.... hard to save money on something you can buy for <40cpr. It is going to be pennies per round of savings ($10-40 per thousand rounds). Anything that is available that the military uses (223, 308, 9mm) is going to basically be the cheapest that it can be. The real benefits start to come in when you're reloading for like 45-70 or match 6.5 creedmoor where you can load something for 50-75cpr that costs $1.50 a pop at the store and suddenly you're saving 750 bucks per thousand rounds. Wanna go crazy with this? Buy anything chambered in a Weatherby cartridge and save $3 a round every time you pull the trigger.

I load some 223 (match grade high grain projectile stuff only), a very small amount of 9mm (defensive JHP loads for practice), and mostly rifle rounds. 6 arc, 6.5 creedmoor, 8.6 blackout, 7mm-08 these are rounds I can save 50c-$1.50 per round loading myself over store bought. If I want to dump some noise and 9mm into a berm I buy a Freedom Bucket from Academy.
    You forget many people stacked components deep when powder was under $15.00 a pound retail. Primers were $20.00 a brick retail and pulled bullets were under $50.00 a thou or we cast them for almost nothing.
    I can load most handgun rounds for a few bucks a box.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Unless you are racking up labor costs when watching tv, glued to your smartphone, etc., I don't see how otherwise free time should be counted in the cartridge reloading process. One can always find excuses for not doing something and it really doesn't upset me when people don't want to reload. It keeps our ammo industry financially healthy. One thing to consider when buying cheap ammo is some ranges ban steel cased ammo. At today's prices, I can load a box of fifty 9mm rounds for around $7.25 (not including labor). Oh yeah, I amortized the cost of my reloading equipment many, many years ago, and it even retains value today on the used market.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Unless you are racking up labor costs when watching tv, glued to your smartphone, etc., I don't see how otherwise free time should be counted in the cartridge reloading process. One can always find excuses for not doing something and it really doesn't upset me when people don't want to reload. It keeps our ammo industry financially healthy. One thing to consider when buying cheap ammo is some ranges ban steel cased ammo. At today's prices, I can load a box of fifty 9mm rounds for around $7.25 (not including labor). Oh yeah, I amortized the cost of my reloading equipment many, many years ago, and it even retains value today on the used market.
    With a row of Dillons, last month a new RL1100, three conversions, a trimmer and the needed carbide conversions for that.

I don't amortize any longer.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And I have been lucky in getting thousands of pounds of free lead.
    I guess I posted it poorly, I meant with buying today's pricing of powder and primers you can still save good money on even 9mm.
    I have been lucky many times myself, I mined Elwood CC pistol range for years getting lead.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I've played with 90gr, 95gr, 100gr, 115gr, 124gr, 147gr.
    I like 147gr best, my second choice is 124gr. My pistols seem to do better with the heavier bullets.
    I went from 115gr to 124gr because it was said to be a better shot. I actually don't see a difference between the 2 rounds.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I have 2 Dillon Square Deal B presses for 9mm and 45acp.
    I have a Redding T-7 turrent for everything else.
    I don't like progressives for my rifle loads because the process of reloading in therapeutic, calming, and relaxing for me. I'm not interested in pumping out rifle rounds quickly but like to savor playing with them, making sure they are just right.
    9mm and 45acp pistol rounds are another story. I'll knock them out as quick as I can.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I'm out of the mass loading game. Lol.
    I got rid of my sr1911 because the cost of 45acp, haven't shot my remington 742 30-06 because the bear brand i used to shoot is over expensive and barely shot the AR15s because the steel case tulammo isnt available or twice the price. I'm pretty much on with 9mm and 22lr.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I got rid of my sr1911 because the cost of 45acp, haven't shot my remington 742 30-06 because the bear brand i used to shoot is over expensive and barely shot the AR15s because the steel case tulammo isnt available or twice the price. I'm pretty much on with 9mm and 22lr.
    I don't shoot as much as I used too and my kids lead busy lives now. I load everything I shoot and reload it in batches. My rifle ammo shoots pretty good and now I'm starting to load for individual rifles. Stocked up pretty good but still picking up powders here and there. Casting helps, from pistol to Sharps.

Top Bottom