Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'm guessing you're using this for Glock brass? Just want to know so I know something to look for when I get my press set up.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm guessing you're using this for Glock brass? Just want to know so I know something to look for when I get my press set up.

This works for any brass used in a chamber that's unsupported. Berreta 92/96 would be another example.

Sometimes it's best to use and undersized die when reloading range pick up brass.

The only down side is that it slows down teh process a little on progressive presses as teh die is a much tighter fit and does not have a wide opening to accomodate speed.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    FWIW... with 40S&W you can also do this with your Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Just uncrew the top and remove the guts.

Then find a 1/4 drive socket that fits nice in the shell holder - it should also fit up inside the die without touching the sides or getting stuck. If you have other shell holders, you might find another socket size that works a bit better - or you can use a Lee bullet sizing punch like in the video

Set the case on the socket an run it up through the FCD. No more bulge.

YouTube - Fixing Glocked 40S&W Brass

BTW... most of the bulged range brass I have found functions fine after resizing in the Lee carbide die... but if I can see the buldge I usually pitch it anyway.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington

Then find a 1/4 drive socket that fits nice in the shell holder - it should also fit up inside the die without touching the sides or getting stuck. If you have other shell holders, you might find another socket size that works a bit better - or you can use a Lee bullet sizing punch like in the video

YouTube - Fixing Glocked 40S&W Brass

BTW... most of the bulged range brass I have found functions fine after resizing in the Lee carbide die... but if I can see the buldge I usually pitch it anyway.

Cool, I have some 9mm that does the same thing (damned Glocks) and I'll have to give this a try. :+1:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This works for any brass used in a chamber that's unsupported. Berreta 92/96 would be another example.

Sometimes it's best to use and undersized die when reloading range pick up brass.

The only down side is that it slows down teh process a little on progressive presses as teh die is a much tighter fit and does not have a wide opening to accomodate speed.

THIS! :yesway: Good post.

I'm wanting to clean, tumble and use this die to size the picked up brass before I run though my Dillon SDB.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

[/url]

yeah, I saw this after ordering the u-die. I could actually run the brass through my Dillon and take it out at the powder stage, but I'm wanting to save that just for the reloading.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Should work fine. Or you can get the "Challenger" press if you want a stonger press.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    that one would work. Seeing as the die is carbide you wont have lots of issue in the sizing process.

I run a Lee "O" press for any misc single stage operations I need. The only reason I run an "O" press is sometimes a non carbide die gets used and the "O" press is a little more rugged than teh "C" style press you listed.

Oh ya, it doesnt seem liek your a rookie so you may want to see if they sell the press as a stand alone and not in a kit as some of the extras may be of no use to you.

Good luck

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Cool, I have some 9mm that does the same thing (damned Glocks) and I'll have to give this a try. :+1:

Isn't the 9mm case slightly tapered making it more difficult to resize the bulge?

I could assume this would have been fired out of a standard Glock barrel.

I use a Storm Lake match barrel, so my brass doesn't bulge. We do hunt for brass at the gun ranges though.

Yes the factory barrel isn't fully supported and produces a bulge in the bottom of the brass. I have thought about getting a lone wolf barrel, but eh.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've used a Lee Classic for over 20 years. I load all of my rifle rounds single stage. It has handled a bunch of 30-06 loads with no problem.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    yeah, that's more than i'm wanting to spend just to resize brass. My Dillon does the reloading work.

Hickman
    I wouldn't buy a new press to resize range brass. I would watch the classifieds until a suitable one shows up
    I have a rockchucker that I only use for occasional 38Sp reloading
    you can use if you want
    It's not for sale though

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    The availability of a 0.001 undersized die is interesting. I shoot with a G22 and also pick up range brass for reloading. I find as many bulged cases with Glock firing pin marks as other brands. When I resize the brass, ( with RCBS carbide dies) a badly bulged case will require a lot of force on my Rockchucker and will extrude metal at the base of the case. When this happens I throw the case away.....don't use it to reload.

When resizing the brass, the brass is being work hardened. Work hardening makes the brass brittle. Too resize to a 0.001 smaller size will work harden the brass even more. An unsupported case (Glock and others ) and a brittle case, pushes things closer to the edge.

I have a factory Glock barrel, a Lone Wolf barrel and a Dillon Shell Checker. When I measure the chambers on these,
    Glock = 0.430
    Lone Wolf = 0.425
    Dillon Shell Checker = 0.425

It is difficult to understand the logic of undersizing a case by 0.001, especially for a Glock pistol

Top Bottom