• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    If only one attacker an you get a well placed shot then game over for the SOB. But if you have multiple people coming at you and they are all armed then you better be able to get cover while reloading. I guarantee I can rack my slide faster then you can break your barrel and drop a shell and snap shut. Just silly to think other wise. Especially if I am half asleep. I am not going to fumble with a shell in the dark.

If I were a invader and was armed and my buddy was shot I would fight. Not run and get one in the back. i am just looking at the bigger picture. JMHO.

The OP didn't say a SS was his only option, but said in addition to pumps. He asked how others would set one up for HD, if it was all they had, not that it was all he had. Never hurts to have more than one option even if the fall backs aren't quite as good.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Maybe you should think about it. Maybe we all should.

I mean the purpose of these HD shotguns is to blow out the bellies and chest cavities and the heads of those who would be coming to do our families harm? Our intent is to stop them from doing harm to innocents? But one shot of 00 buck is certainly enough to stop one or more attacker?

I know, I am bumming you out.....

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Dont worry you're not bumming me out i still think its fun to think about setting up guns and bouncing ideas off fellow gun owners (like im trying to do in this thread). I also think its fun to think and talk about how i will set up my body armor in the event i take a contractor job does that make it fun to think about getting shot?

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I've seen Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch work a single shot and double barrel shotgun in a home defense scenario, it was very impressive. The key is to practice and practice.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Like this...? https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...5870-gunsmithing-stevens-shotgun-project.html

My original intent wasn't to make a HD shotgun, but just a cool project. Now that it's done and I've had it a while and got to play with it a bit I'd trust it to defend myself. I'll throw it in the truck with me every now and then but mainly it just sits in the garage. Like others have said, with practice you can reload pretty quickly, but being a shotgun hopefully there would be no need to reload unless there were multiple attackers.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    That is exactly what im talking about. I wish i could shorten my stock but if i did i would have to make a new bolt since mine has a full length bolt going through the stock and making bolts isnt any fun. What kind of ammo do you keep near by? Like you said i have found that my 20" H&R has been a near constant companion I have been grabbing it instead of a handgun when going to the shop and been tossing it in the car or in a back pack when i go some where. They are far from an ideal defensive gun but after a little practice with the toggle release i can reload and fire pretty quick and wouldn't feel out gunned in most situations.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Every hardware store has threaded rods and a variety of nuts. It is very easy to make a bolt substitute.

Or shorten your existing bolt and with a die, cut more threads for the shorter length.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The problem is i am ocd when it comes to this kind of stuff even though it wouldnt be seen i would probably spend a week at the lathe trying to make the bolt just perfect. I think to be a machinist you must have ocd lol

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The problem is i am ocd when it comes to this kind of stuff even though it wouldnt be seen i would probably spend a week at the lathe trying to make the bolt just perfect. I think to be a machinist you must have ocd lol

With respect sir, I truly don't understand what you mean. I have a machinist background...

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    All the machinists i have talked to have been perfectionists as am i when it comes to machining. If i am going to machine something it is going to be done right and look factory or better especially if its going into my gun. I go full blown OCD when cutting gears or cutting threads. I have trashed a project and started over because i made a part that didnt need to be precise .0004 to small if i know its off it will bug me to death.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My Dad had a single shot 12ga for years on the farm. The next door neighbor(1/2 mi away) walked over, beat up and bloody, from a home intruder. We searched the farm, neighbors, and finally the sheriff shows up. We searched again, Deputy armed with a pump 12ga, and never found the culprits.

Dad spoke to the Deputy, and the next week we owned a Winchester 12ga pump!

Singles are good for their purpose, I keep one "on the ready" exactly how the OP suggested, can "fast load" as well as anybody! I also keep a Mossberg 500, on the ready as well. Add a G19, or at least a 38 spec, you will be covered.

Lights are very good to add, some have laser/light combo. Hard to beat,

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    A single shot, shot gun for home defense? Why not just use blow darts? haha just kidding... but forreal, that's probably the 2nd step up from a baseball bat, in saying, God forbid you miss, just grab that hot barrel and start swingin like Sosa

ever been shot at in the dark in a place that's not yours by a very loud gun? My bet is you aren't charging the sound

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I just talked to a guy that said he used to be dirt poor and was given an H&R to help protect what he did have. He said he shortened the barrel to 18.5" and shortened the LOP a few inches. He said he drilled and tapped the receiver and screwed 2 pieces of 3/4" pvc to the receiver to make a 2 shot side saddle and then added a 5 shot but cuff. Guess he kept it loaded with 12 gauge black powder reloads and used bb gun BBs as shot since he couldn't afford factory ammo. Pretty cool what you can come up with when something is needed.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    ever been shot at in the dark in a place that's not yours by a very loud gun? My bet is you aren't charging the sound

We are thinking along the same lines but I'm thinking no ne here has been in the same room, without hearing protection, as someone discharging a shotgun. I still don't hear the greatest and my ears were in.

Top Bottom