Simply can not decide (one of those threads)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fate of the Dimondback DB380

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Curious as to what the vote would be on the following. In an earlier thread I discussed, among other things, the recent failure of my new Diamondback DB380. I have it back from the factory, the work order states that the sear spring was "dislocated" and the sear and sear spring were replaced.

I now and have the usual conundrum: A) put a couple hundred rounds through it to confirm function, B) sell it and buy an LCP like I used to have or C) bite the bullet, shell out the bucks and get a Kahr P380 - they feel good.

Vote in the pole and explain if you are so inclined.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You atleast got to shoot it a little to confirm its in working order before you sell/trade it. After that you may decide to keep it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'd personally get rid of it and get another LCP. The LCP is a proven platform and fills its role very well. Why mess with a gun you may have a hard time trusting?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been too budget minded with some things, and a carry pistol really throws those conservative leanings off center.
    I will still carry a pf9 - not because it is inexpensive, but only because it has my confidence at this point.
    Your diamondback has a failure that seems like it might bring my confidence down to an unsafe level.
    I'd probably look at a kahr when the time is right. Which might be sooner than later.

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    heres my thinking on it, you are already not fully trusting of this firearm, and the last thing I would want to do is carry a gun I dont trust. Spend the money and buy a quality firearm, in my opinion, Also have you looked at the sig 380?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I would say shoot the heck out of it to confirm it works and keep it, but will you ever really be able to trust it? I think that it will always be in the back of your head that it failed once and since you carry to protect your life I dont know if you would ever truely be able to trust it with your life. :dunno:

As far as the other two choices go... Why did you get rid of your first LCP? I wouldnt buy another one if deep down you really want the Kahr anyway. Buy or keep what you really want and be happy. You only live once, might as well be happy while we are here. :D Plus you may depend on that chosen firearm to protect your only life someday, it better work! Just my opinion.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a similar problem with my Taurus 709 Slim. There are two threads on this forum about it, so you can check it out if you want the details. Short version, I bought it used from an INGO member. It did not work. I sent it back to Taurus. About a month later, I got it back with new parts—all done at Taurus' expense, including shipping. :D It now works perfectly. I have not tested it with WWB ammo yet, but I have run several other types through it with no problems. I am confident it will work if and when I need it. :shoot: :yesway:

My guess is that you will have a similar result. Shoot the Diamondback until you are confident it will work for you. Test various ammo brands. Find what works. Then use it. It will save you cash in the long run, and you will still have a quality weapon that you enjoyed enough to purchase in the first place.

I now carry the 709 when my Glock 26 is too bulky. I know these will work. I am confident the hollow point 9mm ammo will stop the BG if necessary. No need to go further, for me anyway.

So trust your judgement. You liked the Diamondback. You fixed the Diamondback. Use it! :draw: ;)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I would never carry a firearm in which I had no faith. I would sell it and buy a LCP or the Sig P238.

I own a LCP, but I would much rather have my wife's P238.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, except for two early light primer strikes with Wolf ammo, the Diamondback was flawless this weekend for 100 rounds including 50 of Blazer aluminum. I think I will keep it but a Kahr 380 will fill the carry role now.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've never been able to trust a new gun that didn't work right. Had it happen with both a S&W 1076 and a Glock 23. Probably could have gotten them fixed and had great guns but, irrationaly or not, I would have never trusted them. Sold them back to the gunshop I got them from (who was aware of the issues and offered to help resolve them both times) and bought something else.

Get the Kahr. You know yer gonna anyway :D

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I have kind of reshuffled my collection lately as I've been thinking about these same issues.

For me, a CCW must be absolutely reliable, and it must have a laser sight. I just don't feel comfortable carrying a tiny pistol that doesn't have a laser; I think few of us shoot pocket guns enough to be truly accurate without a laser.

Reliability issues really make me worry about any Kel-Tec pistol, as well as the LCP, TCP, Diamondback, etc. The inability to add a laser without significantly altering the size of the weapon (and the ability to use normal holsters) turns me off to the Kahr pistols.

So, when my G19 is too big, I really feel most comfortable with a S&W revolver. My 640 is absolutely reliable (and I don't need to have spent a ton of money putting 500 rounds through it just to be sure). The Crimson Trace grip fits perfectly and doesn't change the profile of the weapon significantly. Yes, it's only 5 rounds...but they are .357 magnum rounds, I KNOW that every round WILL fire, and with the laser and some practice, every round SHOULD hit its target at common self-defense ranges.

I admit, I do have an NAA Guardian for pocket carry (I chose the Guardian because there is a real CT grip for it...not the thing that fits on the trigger guard and makes the gun longer like they make for the Kahr). After a reasonable break-in period, it appears to be very reliable--but I will never be quite as comfortable with it as with my 100%-reliable-from-the-start revolver or Glock.

Top Bottom