• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    I was just talking with a friend yesterday about gun free zones like the mall or other private establishments. Neither of us knew what kind of extra implications may be involved if you were to use a firearm in self defense within one of these locations. Anyone have some insight?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was just talking with a friend yesterday about gun free zones like the mall or other private establishments. Neither of us knew what kind of extra implications may be involved if you were to use a firearm in self defense within one of these locations. Anyone have some insight?

In indiana? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Private property "gun free zone" signs have no force of law.

Scratch that. You could get a no trespass order from the police upon management's request and told never to appear on their property or risk being arrested for violating that order. But thats the worst. But I believe you'll have bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether you can go to that store again.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In indiana? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Private property "gun free zone" signs have no force of law.

Scratch that. You could get a no trespass order from the police upon management's request and told never to appear on their property or risk being arrested for violating that order. But thats the worst. But I believe you'll have bigger fish to fry than worrying about whether you can go to that store again.
    There is an argument that if worded properly, a sign triggers the trespass statute, but I've never seen it done. Also, the trespass order doesn't have to be from the cops, if the store people tell you to leave or to leave and don't come back, it triggers the law just the same as if a cop does it on their behalf.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is an argument that if worded properly, a sign triggers the trespass statute, but I've never seen it done. Also, the trespass order doesn't have to be from the cops, if the store people tell you to leave or to leave and don't come back, it triggers the law just the same as if a cop does it on their behalf.

Not disagreeing with you, but without a report via LEO, how do you prove you trespassed a citizen when they return? Sure, I guess if they detain you and drag you into the security office and get you to sign a statement acknowledging the trespass order from the business, but barring that, doesnt it become a "he said she said" when LEO shows up to enforce the prior order?

brucecrain

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not disagreeing with you, but without a report via LEO, how do you prove you trespassed a citizen when they return? Sure, I guess if they detain you and drag you into the security office and get you to sign a statement acknowledging the trespass order from the business, but barring that, doesnt it become a "he said she said" when LEO shows up to enforce the prior order?

Drag you off and make you sign something sounds more like kidnapping

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    some corporate offices can do their own paperwork stating when and where a person was trespassed. all they then do is keep It on file in case it happens again.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Drag you off and make you sign something sounds more like kidnapping

Not that I am aware of, but they don't have to have your name to trespass you. In the context we are talking about, they almost certainly have your picture.

But how do they prove you know you arent welcome?

Case in point; I show up drunk with friends to my local Meijer. I act like a goof, picking up phones and paging inappropriate things, surfing the penny pony up front, etc. and then walk out as security confronts me. All caught on video. Where is the proof that security told me I was trespassed and subject to arrest upon my return? (assuming all the cameras are video only, no audio.) At that point its the manager's word against mine. "Officer, I dont recall that interaction." or "I recall he told me to go home and nothing else." I dont know of any reasonable LEO that would take that as gospel and arrest on the word of a manager.

Well, except Frank. But he'd just curb stomp me and tell me to crawl home.
    :):

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    But how do they prove you know you arent welcome?

Case in point; I show up drunk with friends to my local Meijer. I act like a goof, picking up phones and paging inappropriate things, surfing the penny pony up front, etc. and then walk out as security confronts me. All caught on video. Where is the proof that security told me I was trespassed and subject to arrest upon my return? (assuming all the cameras are video only, no audio.) At that point its the manager's word against mine. "Officer, I dont recall that interaction." or "I recall he told me to go home and nothing else." I dont know of any reasonable LEO that would take that as gospel and arrest on the word of a manager.

Well, except Frank. But he'd just curb stomp me and tell me to crawl home.
    :):

yeah definitely not. We have witness the property owner/ person in charge tell the person they're trespassed from the property and then make a record of it in our RMS system.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I miss the "good 'ole days" when the shopkeep would literally post your picture and name on the door or at the register with a NOT WELCOME for {insert reason} sign. Embarrass the hell out of the person, and if they want it down, they need to work it out with the proprietor. Trespass was simple. If your pic was up, and a cop was called, off you go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But how do they prove you know you arent welcome? ....

In practice, we don't. We would not make a trespass arrest unless there was some CAD history that an officer had witnessed a trespass warning being given, the property had authorized an LEO to give the warning on their behalf, or the person admitted to trespassing. Occasionally signed paperwork, usually in the scenario of either eviction or repeat shoplifter, would also work.

Other places may handle it differently. Remember for an arrest, we don't have to know for sure you did "it", we have to know it's probable you did "it". If I saw the video of you acting as described, several employees gathering, you talking, and then the manager (a known complainant) says you were issued a tresspass warning during that interaction...that's probable. If it's beyond a reasonable doubt would be up to a court.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I miss the "good 'ole days" when the shopkeep would literally post your picture and name on the door or at the register with a NOT WELCOME for {insert reason} sign. Embarrass the hell out of the person, and if they want it down, they need to work it out with the proprietor. Trespass was simple. If your pic was up, and a cop was called, off you go.
    You wouldn't want to harm the self esteem of a POS shoplifter would you?

Top Bottom