• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My sister works at a bank and has been bringing me silver for years. People will find it in grandma's drawers and bring it in. Just the other day she brought me a whole bunch of silver certificate $1 bills. I just enjoy collecting it all.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    A buddy tells me stories about his parent's farm in Oklahoma during the Depression and Dust Bowl days. People would show up to the farm with hand fulls of gold jewelry looking for food. My buddy's parents would tell them to keep their gold and go out back and feed and clean up after the pigs and horses for a meal when they were done.

You can't eat gold or silver. I concentrate on other consumable items that I need.

+1000

I looked into precious metals a few years ago, decided consumables are more desirable.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Yep. Here's a link that has been posted here before, IIRC, that shows you the current value of those coins.

Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation.com (Updated Daily)

Does anyone know how many of these coins are still in circulation? Or some sort of percentage? For example, if I were to go buy ten $10 rolls of quarters, how many do you think I would get (1964 and earlier). I have thought of doing this, but was just curious if it would be worth my time.

I have been watching for over 30 years, and have found (drum roll) 3 quarters and 2 dimes. I remember where I was when I found each of them. You basically will not find them in circulation any longer. I realize there could be a fluke, or the odd bowl of change at an estate sale, but the odds of getting any in your change at Mc Donalds is almost nil. Some coin dealers will sell rolls of silver dimes and quarters that are very beat up and have no collectable value for a little over spot.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I see on other forums where guys will go buy a few thousand bucks worth of quarters or halves at the bank and cull through them. They do this once a week as they're watching tv or whatever. They keep detailed stats and it seems like an awful lot of work for what little they find. Of course, they're getting anything they find at face value and silver is about 17-18x face now.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see on other forums where guys will go buy a few thousand bucks worth of quarters or halves at the bank and cull through them. They do this once a week as they're watching tv or whatever. They keep detailed stats and it seems like an awful lot of work for what little they find. Of course, they're getting anything they find at face value and silver is about 17-18x face now.

Yes, maybe someday I might too after I hit the lottery and had so much time on my hands that I was actually bored.... :D

To be honest though... In many cases, not only they are looking for silver, but also looking for things such as " key " dates or mint marks. One example would be a 1983 washington ( non silver ) quarter in unc condition. The value on that could easily exceed finding (4) silver quarters...

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    Your wasting your time if you want to search through change for silver. You'll only find about 1 silver quarter for every $600 that you go through. That's a heck of a lot of quarters. :n00b: Your better off getting a part time job and buying junk silver at a pawn shop.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have been watching for over 30 years, and have found (drum roll) 3 quarters and 2 dimes. I remember where I was when I found each of them. You basically will not find them in circulation any longer. I realize there could be a fluke, or the odd bowl of change at an estate sale, but the odds of getting any in your change at Mc Donalds is almost nil. Some coin dealers will sell rolls of silver dimes and quarters that are very beat up and have no collectable value for a little over spot.

I would agree, finding silver is extraordinarily rare these days. Even so, I still check every dime and quarter that passes through my hands.

I haven't found much more than you, but was once shocked to find two silver dimes while going through the change in my car's ashtray (gotta put something in there when you don't smoke ;)).

A relative who was "buying" rolls of quarters at the bank to collect state quarters recently found he had gotten a roll of silver...the tellers missed that one :D

I guess the moral is, don't expect to find it, but look anyway, just in case.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So I'm wondering in a SHTF situation and currency is worthless how does having silver or any precious metals help? Wouldn't trading goods be more beneficial? Or am I missing something?

It's not for when SHTF, it's for when we start picking up the pieces.

Even if we get to the point that paper money is worthless and we are bartering (you don't have to be too patient with Helicpoter Ben on the job) and the economy utterly collapses, we will, at some point, recover.

When that happens, people will want money again, but they won't be likely to take paper money, old or new.

While not necessary for life, money makes it far easier, and is a big part of the reason that we are so prosperous, as it facilitates the division of labor, which allows for heightened specialization leading, in turn, to more rapid advancements of technology.

As stated above, PMs are a luxury when it comes to SHTF preps...nice to have after all your other ducks are in a row, but you can't eat it, shoot with it, cut or fix anything with it.

If you don't believe in SHTF but would like a hedge against inflation, PMs can serve you well there.

Beans, then bullets, then bullion.

Top Bottom