• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should my sister-in-law have asked permission to use my camera?

• Total voters

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    On Thanksgiving, I was at a relative's house. I brought my digital camera along and took a few photos. When I got home to download the photos, I discovered that my sister-in-law had used my camera to take some pictures. Most of the photos were of the floor, lamp, etc.

I mentioned this to my wife that her sister had used my camera without asking my permission and I thought that that was rude behavior. I said that it was the principle of the thing. If she had asked me, I would have given her permission to use it. My wife mentioned it to her relatives that I was bothered by the incident. The BIL said, "So I guess that's another rule we have to follow!" My wife's sisters didn't see anything wrong with what was done.

Feel free to vote.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Sure she didn't pick it up by mistake thinking it was hers? It has happened to us before, as our camera is similar to another family member's camera.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much unless what she too pictures of was inappropriate.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Sure she didn't pick it up by mistake thinking it was hers? It has happened to us before, as our camera is similar to another family member's camera.

Honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much unless what she too pictures of was inappropriate.
    She knew that it was my camera...it was no mistake.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Some families have a "what's yours is mine" kind of relationship. Especially among close siblings in large families (just an observation of mine). The sisters all swap clothes, shoes, purses, etc..., so why not cameras? They likely just think of you as part of the family (possessions and all).

Of course, I'm more of an "ask first" kind of guy, even with family. I'll share about anything, but expect some courtesy.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Unless this is a prized or very expensive professional camera then the relative was likely just messing around with you. Disrespect is in the eye of you, obviously you saw this as a sign of disrespect. But if my SIL were to take my camera and take pictures of the floor or other random things etc I would chalk it up as a joke/prank and realize that she was just messing around with me.

Unless you have past "bad-blood" with this person, tensions, or the camera was particularly expensive or you're very protective of it, I think you may have over-reacted a little. But that is for you to decide, not us. Every family is different and things like this are handled differently depending on the family, situation, object in question, pasty history of the involved parties etc.

My opinion is that it's no big deal unless there was malicious intent involved, otherwise I would see it as a prank, and I would start plotting my revenge for said prank (another harmless prank in return).:twocents:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    it's a respect issue plain and simple. They should respect someone else's property and ask permission to use it regardless of the relationship. So because it was your SIL it makes it ok not to ask.:n00b: There is no dollar value or other conditions to respect of another persons property. Would it have been ok if it had been your gun? you either respect peoples' property or you don't.

Hope she doesn't get a truck stuck in your yard.:D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If your name is on the bill of sale, it's yours to do with as you please.
    If it's not, you better ask.

As Westside mentioned...what if it was a firearm, just laying on your bench. Totally OK for one of your group to pick it up and start banging away without your knowledge?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    She was wrong, you are right, but you aren't doing yourself any favors bringing it up. Is your SIL the nosy type? I bet she was interested in what you might have on there.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Disrespectful, certainly but not enough to really get "upset" over. I think you did the right thing (or at least you did what I've done) in saying something politely and then letting it drop.

Unfortunately, respect for each other is something sorely missing in today's society.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Email her the pictures of floors and lamps etc. since they were important enough for her to take pictures of them.

Top Bottom