• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    My company had all its HVAC units stolen overnight last summer...7 of them. Likely by some meth users wanting the copper in them. They probably would have taken the Cummins backup diesel generator had it not been so large & heavy.

We now have a big-ass fence around our stuff, too.

I've seen lots of shipping containers used on construction sites recently for storage, because the theft of equipment & parts that has been so common has gotten absolutely out of control.

I see it less of "S is about to HTF" as "lazy f'ers would rather take your stuff than work and get it themselves".

If the theives have a cutting torch setup in their van those storage units only slow them down slightly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think there is a fine line between being aware/prepared and paranoid.

I would agree. I see it much the same as a healthy attitude with money and life, regardless of ho much or how little there is in net value. The real question is do you have it or does it have you? In this case, being prepared is having the things you will need in the event of a catastrophic event. Paranoia is obsessing about it and allowing preparedness become your reason for existing.

For example, a friend of mine married a woman a few years back who had been widowed. Her previous husband had prepped in a big way for Y2K and when it came and went, he was all dressed up with no place to go. That seems to have been a major factor in his decision to ventilate his head.

By contrast, my shotgun and I spent a few days with mom and sister, not because of what may happen pertaining to technological failure (which I was convinced that nothing would happen) but rather because we had spend a year and a half in earnest setting up a national full moon for everyone half a bubble off level.

That said, I would be concerned about you if prepping has become your principle reason for getting out of bed in the morning. Otherwise, it is not more paranoid than possessing a fire extinguisher in case you should need it at some point.

Top Bottom