• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Most folks who have one say they are functional, but I think there are better choices in the price range, largely because I think the trigger sucks wind. Still, S&W is offering two free mags with the purchase of a new Sigma, and $80 is nothing to sneeze at.

9mm is cheaper to buy, and a little lighter and less snappy in recoil. Other than that, it doesn't really matter a hill of beans which you choose in regards to caliber.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    i like my .40 sigma just fine. the trigger is "unique", and took some training with the gun for me to get comfortable with.
    no matter what you settle on, train with it!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Love my .40 (SW40VE) Sigma. Try switching out the trigger spring with one from a M&P model. Makes a world of difference.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Had a Sigma. Couldn't stand it. I even sent the thing back to S&W twice because it wouldn't feed hollowpoints. The 2nd time, they called to tell me that it was "operating perfectly within acceptable parameters". When I asked if they finally got it to feed hollowpoints, they said no, and suggested I only load it with FMJ.

I couldn't sell that POS fast enough. Bought a Glock 23, and have never regretted the decision.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    my buddy who had a sigma couldnt get that thing to work no matter what. he had a hard time gettin rid of it. probably because everybody else already knew they suck. i would get a m&p and be done with it.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Had a Sigma. Couldn't stand it. I even sent the thing back to S&W twice because it wouldn't feed hollowpoints. The 2nd time, they called to tell me that it was "operating perfectly within acceptable parameters". When I asked if they finally got it to feed hollowpoints, they said no, and suggested I only load it with FMJ.

I couldn't sell that POS fast enough. Bought a Glock 23, and have never regretted the decision.

This^^^

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    There is nothing wrong with the newer sigmas. The trigger pull is heavy and long. For the money.....they are great and do the job. I have put thousands of rounds through mine. I have carried it in the past. The trigger pull ,with training, is not bad for a carry gun. The long, tense pull decreases the liklihood of AD. An M&P is basically the same gun with polished features....hence the $300 difference.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My kid's boyfriend has a .40 he'll sell you. But if I were you, I'd go to Bud's and look at the Sig 2022's. Heck of a value for the price.

Oops, Bud's appears to be out.... Might check out the classifieds here... Several nice shooters..

Last edited:

Dennis0130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Goshen, IN
    I carry my 40VE everyday. It's a decent gun for the price. The only thing is the trigger, but its for personal protection. As long as it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger it's fine by me. It's better than not having anything.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    There is nothing wrong with the newer sigmas. The trigger pull is heavy and long. For the money.....they are great and do the job. I have put thousands of rounds through mine. I have carried it in the past. The trigger pull ,with training, is not bad for a carry gun. The long, tense pull decreases the liklihood of AD. An M&P is basically the same gun with polished features....hence the $300 difference.

The Sigmas and MPs are not basically the same guns. I don't think SW started with a Sigma and made upgrades to get an MP. I own both and there are some significant difference. Both have been great guns though. The MP is a better shooter (more accurate, better trigger, etc...).

Buds has Sigmas for $299 (and there's a $50 rebate) and CDNN has MP9s for $449.

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I hade a VE40 myself, had the worst grouping and felt top heavy. I got a taurus millenium on trade for it and never looked back.

Top Bottom