• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Well just bought my dad a new Sig P250, 40 S&W yesterday for Christmas. He has been wanting a handgun for a good while now and after hearing him go back and forth on a Sig/Glock/Springfield I decided to just step up and make a purchase. He had liked the P226 or P229, but the near $800 price tag had me looking elsewhere. Ended up getting this P250, two-toned 40 for $535 new. Figured for the price I couldn't wait. Is this a good choice? This is his first handgun so I want it to be something he will enjoy shooting. Should I have sucked it up and paid the extra $$ for the P226 or P229?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    With everything, it is in the eye of the beholder. If he likes it who cares? Those 250s are nice.

You could have sucked it up and just gotten him an X-5 :thumbsup:

I keed I keed.

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I would have had to sold an organ but it could be done I guess!

I ordered the gun "sight unseen" from a dealer. It will be here tomorrow. We don't get the chance to test fire many guns down here so I am HOPING that is shoots as well as the reviews I have read says it does.

jwglock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Lafayette area
    The interchangability on that 250 I think is guaranteed to make it interesting for your dad. Wish MY kids were like you.

:+1:

IMHO you did great! The 250 is easy to learn to shoot, double action trigger, not loaded up with levers and gadgets. Basicly it's like a revolver in ease of use only better! I have a 250 in 45acp and love it. Looks like you did good on the price too. Merry Christmas to you and your dad!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know that the Federal Air Marshals are evaluating them as their issue weapons...

I wouldn't think that they'd evaluate a weapon platform if it were "crap". I've been wrong before, though.

-J-

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for the kind words fellas. He deserves the gun. Not going to lie he is hard to buy for. One week he was all about Glocks, now it is Sigs. I really think he will be happy with it though, just wanted to get some good feedback on the gun before I put it in his hands. The way I see it, now that we each have our own pistols we can go and shoot more. My brother has a Sig PRO 40, older model but shoots good so now we can make it a family thing. I appreciate all the insight.

Dustin

TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I bought one earlier this year and ended up sending it back a few days later. The amib use of the pistol sold me on it since I'm a lefty. First problem was that with the slide locked back, I could not release it with the right side lever. The catch is on the left side and the right side lever just had too much play in it to release it....like the steel was too soft and would flex when I pushed on it. It would release fine if I used the left side lever. The next problem was that after I reversed the mag release, the slide would not lock back. The little nub that sticks out from the slide release on the inside would not rest on top the of mag follower like it should to engage the slide lock. Instead, it would push up against the side of the follower. It would only do this when the mag release was reversed. In normal orientation, that slide would lock back fine. Maybe I just got one that slipped through QC....I don't know.:dunno: I've owned other Sigs and they have been top notch. Still a fan of Sig, just not so much the P250. I will say though that it did have sweeeet trigger on it and the pistol fit my hand quite well.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You are a heck of a kid and he must be a heck of a dad!

AGREED

Seems he is doing a lot of research and trying to come to a conclusion. You just chose something for him which, according to your post, the P250 wasn't even in the running. Has he even handled this gun, he may not like it for a lot of reasons. You're doing this so that you're able to present him with a surprise in a box, and that is nice, but kinda selfish to bypass his research to get exactly what he wants. If I were you I would take your dad to the store, have him pick it out WHAT HE WANTS for his first gun, and buy it. If you can't afford it, put a price cap on and your dad can make up the difference.

I know this opinion may not be popular, and I know you have only but good intent. I would have just done it differently considering the circumstances.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

dhayse32

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    AGREED

Seems he is doing a lot of research and trying to come to a conclusion. You just chose something for him which, according to your post, the P250 wasn't even in the running. Has he even handled this gun, he may not like it for a lot of reasons. You're doing this so that you're able to present him with a surprise in a box, and that is nice, but kinda selfish to bypass his research to get exactly what he wants. If I were you I would take your dad to the store, have him pick it out WHAT HE WANTS for his first gun, and buy it. If you can't afford it, put a price cap on and your dad can make up the difference.

I know this opinion may not be popular, and I know you have only but good intent. I would have just done it differently considering the circumstances.

Not sure you know the circumstances here.

He hasn't shot ANY of the guns mentioned. I did all the research here too. The only thing he wanted was a .40 or .45 handgun. He knew Sigs and Glocks were both very highly recommended. The P226 was the first Sig he put his hands on, it wasn't as if he had been researching this gun and this was 100% what he wanted and I was just being "selfish" and buying what I wanted.

So apparently, me buying him a $535 pistol for Christmas is selfish...wow

He might be picky, but he is also very grateful and LOVES his pistol (which he got today).

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Glad it worked out for you. Perhaps "selfish" was not the right way to phrase what I was trying to say. It sounded from your OP that he was considering a 226/229 and you made no mention of him considering a 250, only that you bought it because it was in your price range, while the 226/229 were not.

I just know that, for me, if my dad or wife had gone out and bought me my first gun while I was still in the decision making process that I wouldn't be to happy about it. I would be greatful and very appreciative...but I wanted to decide the exact pistol that I wanted. I wanted to make that decision for myself, and learned a lot and had a great time doing so. It was a very rewarding experience.

Enjoy shooting with your father.

Top Bottom