• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I don't believe so. I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I have read on Sig and dedicated 1911 forums that while they used to use Caspian frames, they do not anymore. The most recent post that stated that was from 2010.

I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing. Being new to 1911's I thought that using Caspian frames would be a good thing, but then I read that there were a lot of issues with them on the earlier Sig GSR's.

The cast Caspians are decent, as far as cast frames go. But for the price the Sig 1911s are going for, most people expect a forged frame.
    At the about the same price point, you've got US forged frames from Kimber and Colt, or Brazilian forged frames for a bit less from Springfield.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    That's good to know. I have my eyes on a Milt Sparks VM2 but I was concerned that it wouldn't be compatible with the Sig should I go that route. The Sig RCS has quickly made its way into a serious alternative to the Kimber Compact CDP as my first 1911.

Although, I recently heard that they show wear much faster than other manufacturer's. There are some interesting pictures posted half way down the following thread showing what one looks like after 18 months of carrying. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=304417

I have seen everyday carry Kimbers and Colts that didn't show that much wear even after many years of use. I am not sure if it is a good indication of how the finish will hold up for me, or anyone else for that matter, but it was interesting.

I have carried mine lightly for a little more than 6 months without any wear. But to be honest, I would not put the finish durability as one of the top things I am looking for in an EDC gun. I am much more concerned with reliability and accuracy. I do not buy my carry guns with resale in mind.

Mark

OnDutyTactical

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    i have many handguns. When I leave the house, the only one that I put on my side as a daily carry weapon is my Springfield Loaded Marine Operator. It is a rare gun to find, but I would highly recommend that you at least shoot the Springfield before you purchase a 1911.

This gun is an absolute Tac Driver. As far as a size, I would ask why you are considering the compact. The single stack 1911 is an extremely low profile weapon and conceals nicely under modest garments. Mine is a full size, and I absolutely love it.

You can find good 1911s anywhere from 700 upwards of 3500. So really figure out what you want this weapon for and set your price. Then go from there.

cuffs.jpg

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The cast Caspians are decent, as far as cast frames go. But for the price the Sig 1911s are going for, most people expect a forged frame.
    At the about the same price point, you've got US forged frames from Kimber and Colt, or Brazilian forged frames for a bit less from Springfield.

Thanks for the info. After reading your post I did some research and it seems as though the new Sig frames are forged. I have read conflicting claims though. One post claimed that they are forged in house, and another claims that they have another company providing them. One thing that seems to be clear is that there are no MIM parts and all major parts are forged. But again, these are just claims on the internet.

I would not put the finish durability as one of the top things I am looking for in an EDC gun. I am much more concerned with reliability and accuracy. I do not buy my carry guns with resale in mind.

Mark

Good point. I usually try to go with brands that hold some value though because I never know what's gonna catch my eye in the future, and being able to get some money out of it quickly makes getting the new purchase easier.

I do agree that reliability and accuracy are far more important than resale, which is why I was trying to go with a company that offers all of the above. It seems as though 1911's made by Colt, Kimber and Springfield hold their values well, aren't outrageously expensive, and selling them is very easy.

That being said, some Sigs also seem to hold their value well and I REALLY like the feel of the Sig RCS, more so even than the any of the Colts I checked out. The only other one that I personally liked as much was the Kimber Compact CDP.

The more I read about the Sig, aside from questions I have about the durability of their finish, I really think their value is pretty incredible considering what you get for the money.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Red Jacket in Baton Rouge ( Sons of Guns ), just announced that they are now offering a 1911 in .45 only.

My order was in two weeks ago.

~TK

The majority of the 1911 is STI with a Red Jacket label put on it. Let us know how it shoots, but I am betting since it being a STI it will be a great shooter.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    Go Sig!!!

You know allot people said the same think about Kimber's first came out. I was selling guns at the time. Now they dominate Colts... Hell Colt almost went out of business. At least it seemed that way. They damn near stopped making about every pistol...

CRHK88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. To update my original post, I finally decided on, and eventually located a Sig 1911 RCS. (Nitron with Tritium sights) Fantastic gun!! It far exceeded my expectations. Even my father in law, who is a HUGE Colt fan, couldn't believe how nice it shot and looked. My only issue now is finding a good holster to fit it. I called Milt Sparks to order a VM2 but they said it wouldn't fit the Sig. So the search is on for a good IWB and OWB CC holster.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Thanks for all of the input everyone. To update my original post, I finally decided on, and eventually located a Sig 1911 RCS. (Nitron with Tritium sights) Fantastic gun!! It far exceeded my expectations. Even my father in law, who is a HUGE Colt fan, couldn't believe how nice it shot and looked. My only issue now is finding a good holster to fit it. I called Milt Sparks to order a VM2 but they said it wouldn't fit the Sig. So the search is on for a good IWB and OWB CC holster.

Sooo...did you get a holster? Is it your carry now? Are you still liking it?
    I ended up purchasing the XO with Nitron finish, and it's pretty dang sweet.
    What's your update, OP?

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    I got one also , love it a-1 quality . I have paid more and gotten less , it's nice to
    buy a shelf gun that feels custom. As for the holster thing i will take an old one
    oil it up and let it stretch fit,

srandrews80

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Plainfield
    Have the sig stainless carry love it. fired 500 plus rounds with no problems. accurate gun. added laser grips. this is my everyday carry gun. I could go on forever.

Top Bottom