• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTPharmD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Eastside
    The Texas Rangers and Ohio State Patrol Officers use them as duty weapons. That said, I prefer the P229. I find a 5 inch barrel is just more difficult than necessary to conceal. Can't go wrong with a SIG...:twocents:

RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I agree. On your person, you might want to look at the 229, or another sig "carry" model. All things considered, the sig is a great gun.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I used to be a diehard Sig guy. I still would be but finances wont allow it now. They are great guns and you wont regret getting a 226. The 228 or 229 would be a little better for concealed carry though. You can find a good deal on a used police trade in if you look hard.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have owned and carried a P220 in .45 for many years. It eats whatever I throw at it. They build them well.

Last edited:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Lay a 226 and a 229 down barrel to barrel and you'll find only a very little difference. Whichever one YOU like is the one you should shoot. I couldn't take the pressure, and bought BOTH! Awesome autopistols. Enjoy the SIGNESS!! Especially the range fever!

Last edited:

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I would definately endorse the P226 for a personal protection gun. I have 3 of them, 2 in .40 and one in 9mm. They have been completely reliable, and easy enough to conceal. I have IWB holster and a OWB holster for them and both work well. I would also reccommend that you take a look at CPO used models.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Sigs are great firearms. I have a 229 I carry occasionally and a 226. The 229 is great for CC and very accurate. The 226 is too large to carry but a very accurate and reliable firearm.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    A Sig 226 works as well as many others. However, the grip radius for me is just a tad wide. As far as DA autos go, the Sig is probably is as good as the rest. I carry a Sig 229 in .357 Sig on duty, and for what it's worth, it's as good a duty weapon as I have had. I would stay away from the DAK abomination though.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've carried a Sig 226 nearly every day of my life since 1991. They are great guns; both in terms of accuracy and reliability.

As far as the question about police trade ins, police trade ins are like any other used gun; it depends on how well the previous owner cared for the weapon, how many rounds went through it and what kind of conditions it was used under. Mine spent a long night in and out of waist deep water inside of a leather holster and had to be refinished as a result. Its not pretty, but it still shoots good.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    As a newbie, I have to ask; what is CPO? And where would I find these available? Thanks in advance for your help

Certfied Pre Owned. Means the factory has went over a used sig and replaced any worn or used parts.
    The legendary SIG SAUER® quality is what law enforcement professionals around the world rely on for When It Counts. The To-Hell-And-Back-Reliability™ of a SIG SAUER is what makes it stand out from the rest. The Certified Pre-Owned SIG SAUER pistols have been “Duty Tested” protecting communities around the county.

Traded in by law enforcement agencies for new SIG SAUER pistols, these pre-owned SIG SAUER pistols have been Factory Certified after passing the SIG SAUER Five-Point Factory Certification process. And no Certified Pre-Owned SIG SAUER pistol leaves the factory without the approval of one of our expert SIG SAUER armourers. That’s your guarantee of the legendary SIG SAUER quality and it’s all backed by a one-year factory warranty.

As a newbie, I have to ask; Where would I find used police trades available? Thanks in advance for your help

Here is just one internet gun shop that sells police trade in CPO's

Used Sig Sauer Guns | CPO Guns from Sig Sauer

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    You stated that your primary purpose is personal protection. I am going to assume that this includes carrying the gun as well. If so, the P229 or P228 is probably a better choice. P229 are easier to find because they are still in full production. The P228 was supposed to go out of production years ago, but SIG has offered them intermittently in smaller numbers. The P228 can only be had in 9mm. The P229 can be had in 9mm, .40, and .357 SIG.

If the gun is only for home protection, the P226 would be a better choice.

In all honesty, I carried a P226 for a while with no complaints. That said, I like carrying my P229's better. I have one in .40 and one in 9mm.

One word of warning... SIG's are addictive! I have owned 7 of them over the years. I currently have 3 (the third is a P225 9mm). I have only ever sold one to finance another!

Top Bottom