• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Before everybody starts calling the M11 A1 a "fake" P228, they better study their SIG history.

The 220 was first made in 9mm and 38 Super and had stamped steel slides. They are now a .45 caliber handgun with machined steel slide.

The 226 was also originally equipped with a stamped steel slide, and now only comes in machined steel.

The 228 was/is available in 9mm only. The new P228/M11 A1 is available in 9mm only. The P229 is available in all SIG calibers. If the M11 A1 was really a P229, then it would be available in all the standard handgun calibers like the 229.

If SIG calls it a P228, then its a P228. They are leaning more on the M11 A1 moniker...a little hokey, I know. To deny the fact that its a 228, though it's "new and improved" is not right.

Consider it a "Gen 2" or "Gen ?" 228...

The original Corvette did not come with a V8...

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Before everybody starts calling the M11 A1 a "fake" P228, they better study their SIG history.

The 220 was first made in 9mm and 38 Super and had stamped steel slides. They are now a .45 caliber handgun with machined steel slide.

The 226 was also originally equipped with a stamped steel slide, and now only comes in machined steel.

The 228 was/is available in 9mm only. The new P228/M11 A1 is available in 9mm only. The P229 is available in all SIG calibers. If the M11 A1 was really a P229, then it would be available in all the standard handgun calibers like the 229.

If SIG calls it a P228, then its a P228. They are leaning more on the M11 A1 moniker...a little hokey, I know. To deny the fact that its a 228, though it's "new and improved" is not right.

Consider it a "Gen 2" or "Gen ?" 228...

The original Corvette did not come with a V8...

How about a 228 slide on a 229 frame ;) Since the newer M11 A1 takes a completely different mag now which is incompatible in the older 228/229 9mm Sigs.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Yes the M11-A1 is not a "real" M-11. That said, the examples I have shot and fiddled with compare very favorably to the issue M11s I have more than a passing familiarity with. Personally I think the QC on the new gun compares pretty well with the german built 228s/M11s. Details may be little better on the older guns but new ones are probably tougher as hard use pistols. I say this based on owning a very early German 226, a current MK-25 and having 1000's of rounds through issue M11s and the occasional issue 226. My new 25 is every bit the gun my early 226 is and is "as issued".

M11-A1 is running the stainless slide which though a little heavier is far touger than the folded slide. Personally I would only notice it if they were put on scales. Don't like the mag compatability issues but that cuts both ways. New roll pin design is a good thing. SRT trigger is a good thing, though oddly I am so familiar with the old trigger I think a shoot it better.

Is the M11-A1 worth the extra cash over a good used 228, probably not, but if you can get a good deal it will serve you well and I would carry one today without hesitation. I do not like many of the advertising hyped Zombie, Rainbow Pony, industrial Ninja Tribal plating things Sig has done recently, but at the end of the day the P series "Working" guns being built and in the case of the MK being used in harms way are worthy of their history and reputation. My :twocents:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

QUOTE]
    they also made them in .45 acp, with the stamped steel slide.

they started importing them from 1977-1980 by browning and called them the browning bda, they had browning on the right grip, and on the left side of the slide, and sig sauer on the right side of the slide. this was before sig started importing them in the late 80's and making them in america during the early 90's(i read that browning imported less than 3000 in the 3 years with less than 300 being 38 super)

all newer made in america sig's have the machined stainless steel slide

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

QUOTE]
    they also made them in .45 acp, with the stamped steel slide.

they started importing them from 1977-1980 by browning and called them the browning bda, they had browning on the right grip, and on the left side of the slide, and sig sauer on the right side of the slide. this was before sig started importing them in the late 80's and making them in america during the early 90's(i read that browning imported less than 3000 in the 3 years with less than 300 being 38 super)

all newer made in america sig's have the machined stainless steel slide

I believe the SIG BDA imported through Browning also had the older European heel mag release (like on the Walther P38) SIG went to the side button on the 226 for the US trials in the early 1980's

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I would say it's a P228 but only from a name stand point. It'll shoot and mimic a P228 much like a P229 but they are different. Personally I think they took a P229 and machined it to look like the P228. IE one piece slide, external extractor, no breach block, no rail, and then put that on a P229 frame. I think it will run with the pack just fine, but times have changed and this is just the "new" P228. It all boils down to purist beliefs, much like what makes a 1911 a true 1911. I've fondled the new M11 after getting my W. German P228 and I will say they are different, albeit very similar, but when you get both side to side they are different.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    yes the browning bda's had a heal release, the cool/bad about them, is that 7 round p220 mags will work in the bda45, but as for the bda9 and bda38 i dont know where to get those unless your looking for a triplek and they are expensive! and dont work that well

as for the trials, i hear that both the beretta and the 226 were the only guns to pass, and the reason the govt went with beretta was $20.00, the beretta was 20.00 cheaper than the 226, and i think the first order was for 300thousand , that was $6 million dollar differance!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    yes the browning bda's had a heal release, the cool/bad about them, is that 7 round p220 mags will work in the bda45, but as for the bda9 and bda38 i dont know where to get those unless your looking for a triplek and they are expensive! and dont work that well

as for the trials, i hear that both the beretta and the 226 were the only guns to pass, and the reason the govt went with beretta was $20.00, the beretta was 20.00 cheaper than the 226, and i think the first order was for 300thousand , that was $6 million dollar differance!

I have also heard the Beretta deal came with the Italians allowing cruise missiles to be stationed in Italy. I worked on berettas as a CATM troop in the AF. I wouldn't have chosen them over the SIG's. Sig's are much much better

Span24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    North Central
    ... Just want to get some feedback from those who may have handled this gun before I dive into another 900.00 gun.

I had a chance to get a P229 and save 50 bucks. Instead I 'pulled the trigger' on a M11 A1 about a month ago and I LOVE IT! It has now replaced the M&P .40 as my carry gun.

I am by no means a SIG historian or even an aficionado. But I am VERY comfortable with the gun and am pleased with the features (SIGLITE sights, phosphate coated internals, SRT) and the added 'stuff' (UID label, THREE 15 round MAGS, etc.)! SIG may have gotten me with the gimmicks (hey! it has M11 A1 stamped on the slide) but, if you want to know what I think, "I'd buy it again" Hey, it's still a SIG, right? :yesway:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a chance to get a P229 and save 50 bucks. Instead I 'pulled the trigger' on a M11 A1 about a month ago and I LOVE IT! It has now replaced the M&P .40 as my carry gun.

I am by no means a SIG historian or even an aficionado. But I am VERY comfortable with the gun and am pleased with the features (SIGLITE sights, phosphate coated internals, SRT) and the added 'stuff' (UID label, THREE 15 round MAGS, etc.)! SIG may have gotten me with the gimmicks (hey! it has M11 A1 stamped on the slide) but, if you want to know what I think, "I'd buy it again" Hey, it's still a SIG, right? :yesway:

Pretty much, unless one suffers from OCD those so called improper markings don't mean a whole lot.

Ceapea

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    United States

I bought 2, 9mm BDA mags in January from these guys...
    This message is regarding the following item:
    Item Title: Browning BDA 9mm Luger, clip magazine bottom rel.
    Item Number: 324532227
    Right they can usually ship in North America for 15.00, any more weight and it would be a few bucks more. Thanks.
    Western Gun Parts Ltd.
    W.G.P. Ltd
    18124-107 Ave
    Edmonton, AB, Canada T5S 1K5
    780-489-5711 Fax 780-489-5717
    Find us on FACEBOOK!​

I don't know if they still have them, but back then, they had several.
    $40 each, I believe.

Ceapea

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    United States
    Since we are talking about BDA mags, heal releases and P38's, can anyone tell me if the P38 mags will fit in the 9mm BDA?
    Those mags look identical to my BDA mags, but I have never seen or held one in person. Also, P38 mags are in the $20 range, so if they did work in a BDA, that would be a nice find.

Thanks

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Since we are talking about BDA mags, heal releases and P38's, can anyone tell me if the P38 mags will fit in the 9mm BDA?
    Those mags look identical to my BDA mags, but I have never seen or held one in person. Also, P38 mags are in the $20 range, so if they did work in a BDA, that would be a nice find.

Thanks

that i dont know, but if you're in the evansville area, i'd be glad to let you try, i have a p1(post ww2 p38) just let me know

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a P229 in .40 and it's a dream to shoot, well, not at the beginning, it took some practices to master it which I did. So now I can hit anything at 25 yards no problem.

MaxMeridius145

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    St. Louis
    Where did you purchase your handgun bag?

Where did you purchase your handgun bag? I just purchased the M11 A1 and would also like to have your sweet setup.

Thanks!

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    The saddest thing is I hear the P229 sas will be gone from the line up because of the M11-A1. I do not want a railed gun for my CCW, so I am on the hunt for another P229 sas .357

Top Bottom