• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcleatherneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Watched a few videos on Sig M11-a1 and looks like it could be the gun that will replace my "Just for fun gun" my HK P30. Just want to get some feedback from those who may have handled this gun before I dive into another 900.00 gun. Just for info, I currently have a Sig p239 tactical, how close do you think this is to the M11?

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I would honestly stay away from the M11-A1. Please do not follow the false advertising of this being a "military issue" sidearm because it just plain isn't. The Armed Forces do carry the M11 but those are the older German-made 228s. Big difference in terms of quality. As far as the Sig 239 Tactical vs. the M11-A1, these 2 are different. Single-stack(239) vs. Double-Stack(M11-A1). Sig Sauer(thanks to Cohen) is trying to dupe the uninformed consumer into thinking they are getting a gun that would pass vigorous military testing which I honestly don't think it would. Just my two pennies though.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^For the most part.

It feels like a nice gun. I've felt 'em before and one may eventually wind up in my safe. However, I'd highly recommend you find a nice P228. If you are looking for a real military SIG, get the MK25 and I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed at all!

If you are looking for a brand new "compact" style gun, I LOVE my P229 Extreme.

I daily carry a P239 SAS Gen 2 in 9mm. I compare it more to a P225, where it is smaller and single stack...Loves me the P239 and P225 as well.

For what the price is of the M11 A1 (which has been around the $900 mark as of late) you can get a real P228 for around $600 (used) and a P225 (used) for $400-$500 and have 2 awesome guns that will give you loads of accurate fun at the range and a solid investment in your collection.

Oh, and don't get rid of that P30 either...love mine as well!!!

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Just as is the MK-25, it's yet another marketing gimmick from Sig. There was a time when Sig didn't need marketing ploys. Those days are gone and likely forever.

The so-called M11 A1 is hopelessly over-hyped and over-priced. It is more from the Cohen era at Sig. May it end as soon as possible.

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    i agree with the others in the post it is just a gimmick. go with the 228 or the 225.

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    So I've owned a P229 in the past but actually disliked the rail on the front (haven't planned on using any lights or lasers or anything) so I got rid of it.

I love P228's and would like one but my question would be this: what would I be better off doing, buying a used P228 on Gunbroker, paying the FFL fee's to get it, slap on some TFO's or some other kind of fair/good night sights, and possibly get it refinished (if I get a VERY used one), or, buy the M11-A1?

Will the quality of the M11-A1 really be obsolete compared to the older counterpart? On Gunbroker I've seen P228's manufactured in 1991 (That's 22 YEARS old, with rounds and wear already worn on the barrel and slide and frame), or get a new production firearm?

Spending the $900-$1000 is less desired, especially with a hard time finding 9mm on store shelves, and I'd much rather spend $600 to get one off GB and have the remaining to try to get SOME ammo, a holster, you know, the necessities.

I know I kind of answered my own question above, so let me ask it straight:
    Given the assumption I would pay $900 exact for either configuration, the P228 with Cerakote job, and new sights, or the M11-A1, which is a better gun for the money?

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    Thanks for the only. I've liked the P228 way before the M11 ever came into any picture.

But does anybody, in real world experience see any real benefit or deterrent between the two?

thanks for the reply* stupid auto correct

Last edited:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    :postpics:

M11-A1-detail-Hero.jpg

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    So I've owned a P229 in the past but actually disliked the rail on the front (haven't planned on using any lights or lasers or anything) so I got rid of it.

I love P228's and would like one but my question would be this: what would I be better off doing, buying a used P228 on Gunbroker, paying the FFL fee's to get it, slap on some TFO's or some other kind of fair/good night sights, and possibly get it refinished (if I get a VERY used one), or, buy the M11-A1?

Will the quality of the M11-A1 really be obsolete compared to the older counterpart? On Gunbroker I've seen P228's manufactured in 1991 (That's 22 YEARS old, with rounds and wear already worn on the barrel and slide and frame), or get a new production firearm?

Spending the $900-$1000 is less desired, especially with a hard time finding 9mm on store shelves, and I'd much rather spend $600 to get one off GB and have the remaining to try to get SOME ammo, a holster, you know, the necessities.

I know I kind of answered my own question above, so let me ask it straight:
    Given the assumption I would pay $900 exact for either configuration, the P228 with Cerakote job, and new sights, or the M11-A1, which is a better gun for the money?

The older P228, definitely. But.....as far as having it refinished, don't buy such a quality firearm and then immediately ruin it. If you want to have the slide refinished, send the entire gun (not just the slide) to Sig and have them do it. NEVER refinish a Sig frame.

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    The older P228, definitely. But.....as far as having it refinished, don't buy such a quality firearm and then immediately ruin it. If you want to have the slide refinished, send the entire gun (not just the slide) to Sig and have them do it. NEVER refinish a Sig frame.

I may have phrased it wrong but I would want the gun in its' entirety to look new, thus including the frame.

So on what grounds can it be said that the M11A1 is inferior to the P228? Machining marks? More prone to failures and jams? Or is it just people trying to hype themselves up, and declaring that a newer production gun HAS to be inferior because 1.) it's newer and 2.) it's not made in Germany (assuming the m11 isn't/assuming the p228 in question is).

I mean honestly, I am wanting to see if anybody has any reasonable comment as to why the M11A1 is any worse a decision over the original 228. Anyone?

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Yes...you may want to consider the MK25...mine is great. My old P228 is great. I think the new P228/M11 A1 is getting a bunch of hate. No, it is not really a military-issued gun. Could it be? Sure. Why?

It is essentially a P229 with all the MK25 internal treatments. Original P228s don't have the special coating...whatever.

What really matters is that what 228 aficionados love about their old guns is kind of the downfall of it. The old models, having the stamped steel slides are lighter...AND weaker. SIG will tell you NOT to put high pressure ammo through those guns as the slides are weaker.

Newer slides are machined and fully capable of handling +P ammo.

I have and love many old SIG handguns. As those are very reliable, very accurate, and very fun to shoot...the newer ones that I own are more reliable, as accurate, and also very fun to shoot...with the advantage of them being able to handle the modern ammo.

Now, back on track. I have pondered the M11 A1 a few times and still wouldn't mind owning it. Marketing ploy? Gimmick? Perhaps. Still, it is a high quality SIG handgun with some extra treatments to make it a very reliable and fun weapon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We have a Certified Pre-Owned P229 non railed frame 9mm w/ night sights in our case at $569.95. If you don't mind a little extra weight/bulk and don't "need" the extra doodads the M11-A1 comes with (3rd mag, anti-corrosion treatment, etc), something like that would probably fit your bill just fine.

indygamerguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Muncie
    Yes...you may want to consider the MK25...mine is great. My old P228 is great. I think the new P228/M11 A1 is getting a bunch of hate. No, it is not really a military-issued gun. Could it be? Sure. Why?

It is essentially a P229 with all the MK25 internal treatments. Original P228s don't have the special coating...whatever.

What really matters is that what 228 aficionados love about their old guns is kind of the downfall of it. The old models, having the stamped steel slides are lighter...AND weaker. SIG will tell you NOT to put high pressure ammo through those guns as the slides are weaker.

Newer slides are machined and fully capable of handling +P ammo.

I have and love many old SIG handguns. As those are very reliable, very accurate, and very fun to shoot...the newer ones that I own are more reliable, as accurate, and also very fun to shoot...with the advantage of them being able to handle the modern ammo.

Now, back on track. I have pondered the M11 A1 a few times and still wouldn't mind owning it. Marketing ploy? Gimmick? Perhaps. Still, it is a high quality SIG handgun with some extra treatments to make it a very reliable and fun weapon.

THANK YOU! :+1:

We have a Certified Pre-Owned P229 non railed frame 9mm w/ night sights in our case at $569.95. If you don't mind a little extra weight/bulk and don't "need" the extra doodads the M11-A1 comes with (3rd mag, anti-corrosion treatment, etc), something like that would probably fit your bill just fine.

@ Bradis, you're killing me.... Now I'll be stressing trying to get down there

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I was at Bradis a while back looking at Sigs. I was, and still am, looking for a P229R 9mm but they had a m11 a1 there. Similar in size so I gave it a few dry fires. I thought it was considerably heavier in DA than the other Sigs I tried that day. Guys behind the counter compared when I commented and agreed. We thought it was due to the military specs most likely dictating a heavier DA pull.

Was all set to buy it when I held it. But once I pulled the trigger I knew it was not what I was looking for and had to walk away from it. Still am holding out for a 229R...although that certified per owned is looking mighty good at that price point. I am officially tempted! Might make that drive.

To answer you - heavier DA pull ruined the M11 for me. Go old school 228 or new school 229 IMHO.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have extensive experience with the SIG 228 and SIG 229 both in 9mm. My agency uses the SIG's for special teams and the 228's are around 16 years old a few are newer. When we order new ones we have been ordering the 229's since that seems to be the only new ones we can seem to get. The main difference is the 228 has a stamped sheet metal slide where the 229slide is milled out of steel so it's a couple OZ heavier.

The only thing that has ever broke on our 228's were a couple of the roll pins cracked that holds the breech block in place. The guns still worked though however to be fair they have upwards on 100,000 rounds through the older guns. The 229 has it's breech block milled in and the pin is solid steel. I feel the 229 is more durable however there is not anything not durable about a regular 228.

6 of one half dozen of the other!!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    In my opinion the M11-A1 is just a P229 masquerading as a P228. The real P228 has a stamped slide and the P229 is stainless steel. Big difference when holding the two side by side in terms of weight and handling. If you want something close to the M11 get an original P228.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a M11-A1 and I love it. I know the purist say go to the P228 which may be fine, but I wanted a new pistol, didn't want the railed 229, wanted the short reset trigger and prefer the two (2) extra rounds it provides. Personally I also like the UID label whether the gun is actually military issued or not. It also comes with three (3) mags right out of the box which is nice.

This article kind of explains the comparison and the evolution for those interested.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/service-grade-sig-sauer-m11-a1-review/

SigM11-A1_zps2f0101ed.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom