• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Honestly I hadn't even considered the SAO, just the SA/DA. Might have to to check a SAO out

Where abouts are you? Could you meet in Carmel or Greenwood? If so, I could let you try mine out. I will have to say that it is worth every penny and no, I'm not planning on dumping it in the mud so I don't care about the torture test... :):

I shot a friend's Legion last night. I'm not a Sig guy but that was a very sweet gun.

psyko

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I appreciate the legion series but i still wouldnt buy one personally...probably because unless i want that specific color gun i would be changing the sights anyways, i'd be changing the trigger parts (its just some grayguns parts in the legions), and i dont need a challenge coin.

For someone that doesnt want to put any work into the gun then its perfect. They are very good looking guns and come kitted out quite well from the factory with above average triggers it just isnt for me.

They shoot pretty much like every other 226, which is awesome.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I appreciate the legion series but i still wouldnt buy one personally...probably because unless i want that specific color gun i would be changing the sights anyways, i'd be changing the trigger parts (its just some grayguns parts in the legions), and i dont need a challenge coin.

For someone that doesnt want to put any work into the gun then its perfect. They are very good looking guns and come kitted out quite well from the factory with above average triggers it just isnt for me.

They shoot pretty much like every other 226, which is awesome.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I really wanted to like the Legion...but I don't. The x-ray sights are not as good as Trjicon HDs, IMO. The green ring they use is too dark and in reduced light, but not dark enough for the tritium to be much use, it might as well be a plain black sight. I sent my P226 to Sig's custom shop for their trigger job, and it came back nicer than any DA/SA legion I've held. I've also noticed inconsistencies in the finish and the trigger pull between various Legions, so if I were to buy one it'd be from a local shop where I could really inspect it.

The P224 size slide release, and maybe the undercut on the slide at the trigger guard, are about the only thing on the Legion that really appeal to me over a standard P226. For me, for the money, I'd buy a cheaper model and customize it if I really wanted the *best* for me and my intended purposes. If I didn't want to send it to the custom shop, swap sights, etc. and didn't mind the sights (since you say it's a range gun), then the Legion could be in the running.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Lol @ these threads. "Sigs arent worth the money" and "Eh the Legion is ok but X is wrong and they should replace it with Y" but everyone I know who shoots mine has "that look" afterward. 2 people havr bought one after shooting mine. To me that speaks for itself. The upgrades over my p226e2 are more than noticeable and worth every penny.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lol @ these threads. "Sigs arent worth the money" and "Eh the Legion is ok but X is wrong and they should replace it with Y" but everyone I know who shoots mine has "that look" afterward. 2 people havr bought one after shooting mine. To me that speaks for itself. The upgrades over my p226e2 are more than noticeable and worth every penny.

Some people look good in an off the rack suit. Some want it tailored a bit.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Where abouts are you? Could you meet in Carmel or Greenwood? If so, I could let you try mine out. I will have to say that it is worth every penny and no, I'm not planning on dumping it in the mud so I don't care about the torture test... :):

psyko

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks everyone else for their input...I wasn't totally sold on the Legion series but went on a 226 hunt today. Checked out a few shops, looked around to what was in stock. Really I'd pretty much decided I'd more than likely go with a Enhanced Elite or the Extreme (really like my 229 Extreme), but never found either in stock in the stores I looked at...I did find a Legion 226 DA/SA for not that much more than what I would drop for the other 2 models I was originally looking for.. Well it's now on layaway lol!

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    i picked up the da/sa p226 legion a couple weeks ago and love it. only 200 rds through it so far but no issues. if you watch enough "torture test" videos i'm sure you can find failures for every gun out there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks everyone else for their input...I wasn't totally sold on the Legion series but went on a 226 hunt today. Checked out a few shops, looked around to what was in stock. Really I'd pretty much decided I'd more than likely go with a Enhanced Elite or the Extreme (really like my 229 Extreme), but never found either in stock in the stores I looked at...I did find a Legion 226 DA/SA for not that much more than what I would drop for the other 2 models I was originally looking for.. Well it's now on layaway lol!

:thumbsup:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I suppose in that same train of thought some people should stick to jeans and a tshirt. Fair enough.

Those are you Glock guys LOL

Seriously and respectfully though, some get to wrapped around the axle about a silly "torture test" though, I have used SIG's and Beretta's as duty guns more than anything else over 30 years. They both are great guns (as much as I want to hate on the Beretta I can't another thread)

SIG's are pricy but look at the cost of a nice semi custom 1911, double almost of a normal Sig and 1/3 more than a Legion.

As far as the whole torture test, that whole thing is a complete waste of time.
    There is a difference between a torture test and an endurance test. Some of the things folks put guns through in a torture test 1 it's a piece of machinery what do you think will happen??? Short of a drip on the ground etc (I mean who allows a gun to get that buried in mud etc when dropped and if it's "in the fight they usually were busy with other things than looking for a buried gun). Then the whole buried in ice and snow for amounts of time that a human would have died of exposure.

Just saying one might want to look at the durability record of a gun (what Agency has used them and for how long, and what real issues not internet talk came up.
    Or that the particular YT host didn't like the weapon choice they are even doing the test on.
    You will find any SIG worked for a long long time and is one of the best. Wether you want the added Legion stuff is a personal decision.

Good Luck

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Here's my $0.02...a gun that is accurate, durable and reliable is what it comes down to. Cost, aesthetics and the marketing designation behind it are all subjective to each user.

So, it is only up to the individual.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Not worth the price tag.

Care to share your reasons for that statement? I can see "not worth it to me", but since I find the Legion well worth the price to me, I think it's up to the individual as to whether the cost of the gun is worthwhile. Honestly curious why you don't find it worth the cost.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I suppose in that same train of thought some people should stick to jeans and a tshirt. Fair enough.

Here's an example. Let's say I bought a gun off my gunbroker watch list right now:

Sig 9mm P226 1988 All German 16 rd 1 Mag E26R9B : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    1987 manufacture date P226 (used) $550 (after transfer fee and shipping)

Sig custom shop round trip shipping: $55
    Action Enhancement Package: $180
    Full Service package (new springs, etc.) $85
    Short Reset Trigger: $100

Trijicon HD sights: $135

Total: $1105

So, roughly the same cost as a Legion. The custom shop worked gun will have a better trigger, I've tried them back to back. The Legion will have nicer grips and controls. Sights are highly personal, but for my eyes the HDs are much better than the X-ray sights. The Legion will be available to you as soon as you buy it, the custom shop will require delayed gratification. The Legion is cosmetically superior. The German made Sig let's you complain that all the new Sigs are butt that Cohen ruined and you've got real German steel that you punks today just don't appreciate....:):

Which is the "better" gun? Neither, or both. Depends on what the person values.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here's an example. Let's say I bought a gun off my gunbroker watch list right now:

Sig 9mm P226 1988 All German 16 rd 1 Mag E26R9B : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

So, roughly the same cost as a Legion. The custom shop worked gun will have a better trigger, I've tried them back to back. The Legion will have nicer grips and controls. Sights are highly personal, but for my eyes the HDs are much better than the X-ray sights. The Legion will be available to you as soon as you buy it, the custom shop will require delayed gratification. The Legion is cosmetically superior. The German made Sig let's you complain that all the new Sigs are butt that Cohen ruined and you've got real German steel that you punks today just don't appreciate....:):

There is just something sexy about a Sig 226 with "Made in W. Germany" on the slide.......Plus they are made out of metal....Dad got one in the late 80's and we took it up to Clark County Forestry to shoot...(Believe it or not it was not a "war zone" then but a nice little range rarely used) As we were shooting it I remember asking dad, "Why did you get this instead of a Glock?" and his one word answer reminded me of a line from the film "The Graduate"....

[video=youtube;Dug-G9xVdVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dug-G9xVdVs[/video]

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Yep, it's definitely a personal decision. You forgot that since the above comes with only 1 mag, you have to add ~$40 - $45 for 2 additional magazines, bringing the total closer to $1150.

I paid ~$1175 for my Legion, with shipping, FFL and everything added in. To me, it was easily worth the extra $25 for the nicer grips, undercut trigger guard and some of the other enhancements the Legion offers. It was worth it to me, but I can understand why others might not see the same value. Of course, I easily see more value because I went with the SAO version of the gun. SAO is generally more expensive and harder to find.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom