• ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    As he mentions, this is a "known thing" around P938 circles, and there are lots of discussions about it over on the SigTalk forum. Some folks use Locktite, but others have recommended JB Weld instead, which is what I used and have not had any issues. I do check however every time I clean the gun.

JB Weld | World's Strongest Bond

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    You can use locktite or JB Weld either one will work for awhile. Then the guide rod will break at the part where the threads go into the end piece.

All of the 938's broke at some point at the range I worked at. Of course, this is with thousands of rounds through them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So, this is a known defect that can disable your firearm without warning and Sig has not issued a recall. Wondering what they are waiting for- a fatality?

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So, this is a known defect that can disable your firearm without warning and Sig has not issued a recall. Wondering what they are waiting for- a fatality?

Great question. It is a lot less expensive (apparently) to make the two-piece design and uses less raw materials. There were some rumors for a while about a impending redesign release of a one-piece guide rod, but those rumors never panned out as far as I know. I have probably 2,000-3,000 rounds through mine, and have not had any issues.

They also had an issue a while back with the MSH assembly, and I was getting some FTF and FTE issues. Sent to Sig and they installed the new MSH, and I have not had a single misfire through the weapon since. Although it was a bit rough for the first 2 weeks with the MSH issue, it has been 100% reliable ever since. I carry it every day, and I have no problem depending my life and those I love on it.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    Yoy don't have to take the P938 apart to check the guide rod. It's quick and easy.First: UNLOAD THE GUN. Second: CHECK TO MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED! Finally, lock the slide back on the UNLOADED gun. With a pair of pliers try to unscrew the exposed guide rod. If it will, it's time for the loctite or JB Weld. Don't forget to clean the threads on both pieces first.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    BT thanks for the link.
    That is disappointing news, as a 938 Extreme was on my short list of guns to buy.
    I think I will be skipping it all together now, I don't want to have to worry about my guide rod shooting out the front of my pistol, even though Sig will send a new one, who wants that hassle? I don't.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    BT thanks for the link.
    That is disappointing news, as a 938 Extreme was on my short list of guns to buy.
    I think I will be skipping it all together now, I don't want to have to worry about my guide rod shooting out the front of my pistol, even though Sig will send a new one, who wants that hassle? I don't.

I understand your worries, but honestly, it is a very rare problem. The P938 is supposedly the best selling Sig on the market (internet rumor, I have no official proof), and there are many 1,000's of them out there running just fine. I have never had an issue with my guide rod, and I have about 3,000 rounds down the pipe.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I understand your worries, but honestly, it is a very rare problem. The P938 is supposedly the best selling Sig on the market (internet rumor, I have no official proof), and there are many 1,000's of them out there running just fine. I have never had an issue with my guide rod, and I have about 3,000 rounds down the pipe.

Thanks for the reassurance. I will do some more research before completely making up my mind.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I love mine. The only problem I have had is, it does not like hard primers. I would think normal inspection while cleaning would prevent parts flying out of it while shooting.:scratch:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Okay.....this is really embarrassing, but my guide rod was really loose. About halfway through the threads!!! Thanks for the thread BT!!!!

Top Bottom