• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dolphinfanfoor

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    Just got a sig 938 , and have not shot it yet. I stopped by my LGS and picked up a box of gold dot 90 grain hollows. I have tried about 7 times and when i rack it back to load the gun the round jams and the slide stays open. To me it looks like the flat part of the hollow tip round gets stuck before it can feed into the chamber. Is it just the hollows? Do these 238's not work well with hollows.
    Thanks for any info.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    When I had my 238, it had the same issue. I cleaned and lubed it really well and kept cycling rounds. Seemed to "break it in"

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it a 238 or 938? .380 or 9mm? No offense...but you are using the correct rounds...right. I have the 238...never even shot hollow points out of it yet. Try what sbnewsom said. If that doesn't work...maybe it just doesn't like those rounds. Sorry probably no help at all.

dolphinfanfoor

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    I have tried to let the sucker fly....lol. It is def. a 238 and im using .380 ammo. I think it just doesnt like the ammo. Gonna try to get just some good fmj tomorrow. Along with another clean and lube.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I have had no problems with Hornaday CD or fmj in my 238.It shot and fed both right out of the box,no problems.Some new guns do need a little breaking in though.:twocents:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you put a round in, and then let the slide come forward slowly you will see what happens. The high amount of tension from the magazine spring and the magazine lip causes the bullet to nose-dive LONG before it could interact with the feed ramp.

It generally doesn't happen if you let it fly forward in a hurry - for example, if you chamber a round and then stick in a full 7 round magazine it will feed the first round out of the mag without an issue because it pushes the bullet forward before it has a chance to dive. Another option is to only insert the top round far enough into the mag to get the mag into the gun - that will also permit the first round to feed flawlessly.

Even if you pull all the way back and simply let go, sometimes it will jam on the first bullet - I never found a way around it. Just seems to me that the spring tension in the magazine is a bit high but since it only happens with the first magazine and I carried it as a BUG without an extra mag, I wasn't terribly worried about it since I didn't see an instance where I would be inserting a brand new mag.

That said, once the mag breaks in it may loosen up a bit once the spring loses some of it's factory tension. I would suggest loading it to full (the mag) and letting it sit for 2 weeks.

I had also thought about radiusing/polishing the lips of the magazine to help make sure that the case couldn't snag on it and cause a nose-dive (like it tends to do). Bear in mind that if you do any modifications at all to your magazine you do it at your own peril (i.e. I'm not responsible for what you do, even if you got the idea from me).

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have never tried Good Dots but have tried WWB in my LCP and it didn't like to feed them due to the flat point. I did a fluff and buff but haven't tried the WWB since. It will however feed Hydra Shok, Golden Sabres and any RN without a prob. I just ditched the Winchesters and stayed with the Federals and Round Nose bullets.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I may be the only one that feels this way but I think a gun at this price level should feed any factory made ammo. I think I would send it back to the factory.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    THx guys, problem solved. My 238 just didnt like the gold dots.....got some PMC Bronze and works flawlesly.......I think I will try some Hornaday's later.
    late to the party, but I have one and it's a known issue that some HP's will jam in the rifling of the barrel when feeding. this is due to the OAL of the round. shorter OAL ammo in the same HP will feed fine.
    all that said, I've feed all kinds o stuff into my 238 after about 200 rounds of break in umc bulk and never had a feed issue.

Top Bottom