• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I can't help give the exact feedback since my 229 is a .40 but will give my :twocents:.

Depending on what purpose the 229 will have for you can make a few minor quirks important. My biggest complaint with the 229 is its width, it doesn't bother me for OWB but when I carry IWB it does somewhat.

I think it is a bit top heavy but it doesn't bother me. I've shot 3 229's and they were all very reliable with low recoil so I would hope the 9mm would be even tamer. The DA trigger can be a little gritty compared to some but it only takes me a mag or two to get accustomed.

Overall you can't go wrong with a 229. If they were easy to find and if it were me I would get the 228 for a 9mm over the 229.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Same here, I own a P-229 .40 S&W and a P-228 9MM and both are great guns! Very accurate and reliable but not the cheapest to buy! If you can swing it, do it! :yesway: :twocents:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I like the 229 - it's one of my favorite SIGs. But if I was going 9mm, I would seriously look at a 228. There are almost the exact same pistol, the only difference being how the slide is made. 229s have a machined stainless steel slide - they require the greater mass to handle .40 SW and 357 SIG. This does make the gun quite a bit heavier, and changes the balance to be a bit top-heavy.
    The 228 is the same gun with a carbon steel fabricated slide. It is lighter and gives a different balance to the gun.
    Whenever the same SIG is available in carbon slide and stainless slide models, I generally prefer the balance of the carbon slide guns.
    I don't think you'd be unhappy with the 229, but I do think you should compare it to a 228 and see which you like better because the handling is slightly different.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They are EXCELLENT firearms.

But as has been said, for a carry-sized weapon, they're kind of heavy.

They're more accurate than you are. You won't be able to shoot one out, either.

My brother-in-law's issued 229 has seen around 30k rounds of .357Sig and has been re-sprung 2-3 times as well.

He carries his all day long, very deeply concealed, and doesn't have any issues.

-J-

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I cant really speak about the 229 in 9mm, but like the preceding posters, mine is a .40 caliber. It is very accurate but a little heavy. I would suggest that you also take a look at the Sig 239 in 9mm. It is a nice compromise between Sig classic design and weight and size. I have one and in my opinion it is every bit as great a gun as the 229. The only real difference is, it is about 80% of the size of the 229.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The 229 is on my acquire list when money allows. I've shot them before and they are great shooters like most SIGS. Feels very similar in my hand as my 226, just with a little shorter barrel.

6guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    Hobart
    What will the gun be used for? I think the P229 is a great all around shooter, but more suited to carry. If you want to get into competition, I'd opt for the P226 in 9mm.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    P229 Stainless with th DA/SA in .40 cal a bit on the heavyside but more accurate than I'll ever be. Of all my guns this one is going to Todd M. to be customized.

Top Bottom