• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just picked up a new pair of Bates boots this weekend and I love them.They're comfortable,waterproof,and they're side zip for easy removal.I noticed as I put them on for work tonight that I have to untie them to slide my foot in.I've never owned side zip boots before so I was curious if this is normal.If not,what do I do?Tie them loose and lose ankle support?Untie them when I take them off?Please advise.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just picked up a new pair of Bates boots this weekend and I love them.They're comfortable,waterproof,and they're side zip for easy removal.I noticed as I put them on for work tonight that I have to untie them to slide my foot in.I've never owned side zip boots before so I was curious if this is normal.If not,what do I do?Tie them loose and lose ankle support?Untie them when I take them off?Please advise.

I have a pair of 5.11 ATAC boots that are zip-side. I can take them off just by unzipping, but I too have to undo the laces to put them back on. I would have to undo the laces quite a bit more to get them on without the zipper though.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have the same issue with my side-zip Rocky ParaBoots, and I've had it with every pair of jump-style boots I've ever worn. I put up with it because I like the look and comfort after I get 'em all laced up. I have some Hi-Tech Magnums that fit a little better and allow me to kick 'em off just by unzipping them, but they don't polish up nearly as nice as the Rockies, Corcorans and others do.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My brother has a pair of bates that he has to wear with his work uniform and the go on and off by unzipping. He's tired them once in like a year and just uses the zipper. I had a pair that wear zipper off and untie on.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think it depends on the boot. All of the Bates side zips I've owned go on / off simply by using the zipper. The bad thing is the zipper will bust at the most inopportune time, and I'll end up duck taping the boot back together to get me through my shift. I prefer the lace in zippers like Danner uses simply for this reason. Much easier for me to McGuiver a shoelace out of something than a zipper.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I used to tie mine pretty tight, but discovered they expanded anyway, so I leave them alone and just use the zipper. I get plenty of support for hiking, range time, and riding my motorcycle.

sheepdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    I have both Danners and magnum side zip. I feel like I keep them pretty tight and only use the side zip to take off or put on.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I have a pair of 5.11 ATAC boots that are zip-side. I can take them off just by unzipping, but I too have to undo the laces to put them back on. I would have to undo the laces quite a bit more to get them on without the zipper though.

I just ordered non side zip magnums on amazon. You arent going crazy. I have experienced both of the above conditions.

Bates are OK to remove my foot, but not replace it unless I loosen them to the point of them not being tight enough for my liking. 5.11s allowed me to put them back on fully tied, but they didnt feel good to me in general.

TR1032

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    I have 5.11 side zips, and never untie them. When I first start breaking in a new pair they are a bit difficult to get zipped, but that goes away after a few days or so.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I think it depends on the boot. All of the Bates side zips I've owned go on / off simply by using the zipper. The bad thing is the zipper will bust at the most inopportune time, and I'll end up duck taping the boot back together to get through the shift.

This is my experience with side zip boots. The zippers only last about three to six months.

When the zippers work, it has always been easy to get my feet in and out with just the zipper. I suspect that it has more to do with calf and foot size and shape than the boot as to whether you need to untie them to get them on or off.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I have these rockys for work and they are awesome. Ive had them for about 4 years and they still shine up like new. The slide on and off and the laces are as tight as tey will get. They are good and broken in.

boot_zps9a74e5ec.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I wear the Converse side zips, medium high, composite toe. I don't have to loosen the laces to take them off or put them on. They've held up awesome. They are tough, rugged, and comfortable. I have been wearing them (not quite daily) for almost 3 years now with no significant wear or tear. I've had no issue with the zippers, and as long as I keep up on cleaning and water proofing them, they remain leak free. For my money, I'm sticking with Converse.

Top Bottom