• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just over 11 months old. First real sickness. More than likely the flu.

Won't eat...won't drink...touch of the suirts... on the occasion she DOES eat, it'll come back up in a little while.

Have her on 3 different meds and trying to force-feed her pedialyte. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Mom stayed home w/ her yesterday. My turn today. Mom's turn again tomorrow.

I'm freaking out, man... First kid. First real illness :n00b::n00b:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you have an 11 month old and she is displaying the symptoms you discribe and you haven't yet get her to the doctor or immediate care center.
    It may be simply a cold or the flu but while you are trying to treat her yourself at home a serious desease could be getting stronger in her system.
    I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, in fact it reads as though you are doing all the right things. But where small children are concerned it is best to err on the side of caution.

Also if you are Freaking out enlist the aide of friends, family or nieghbors.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She's on meds. Unless he's got a basement pharmaceutical manufacturing gig, I'm guessing he's taken her to the doc.

I hope she feels better soon. Mine was just in the hospital for extreme dehydration due to a fever from some random viral infection. The only way it gets better is that they become able to communicate better. Grumpy 2y/o always answer in the negative.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    If your pediatrician would happen to admit the child to the hospital, INSIST she be admitted to a childrens hospital. When my oldest boy was a baby, he had a bad stomach bug of some sort, and needed IV fluids. The dip ****s at Clark Memorial hospitals ER could not hit a vein, and SENT US HOME, or attempted to anyway. We called our pediatrician and he had us go straight to Kosair in Kentucky, where the ER Drs and nurses took great care of him and got him well quickly. Not trying to be an alarmist, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep...doctor yesterday morning.

Alternating children's ibuprofin and tylenol every 4-ish hours to keep a fever at bay.

Some other kind of scrip' drug mixture every 12hours.

Now she's getting very cranky because she's so hungry...but won't eat. :-(

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Just over 11 months old. First real sickness. More than likely the flu.

Won't eat...won't drink...touch of the suirts... on the occasion she DOES eat, it'll come back up in a little while.

Have her on 3 different meds and trying to force-feed her pedialyte. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Mom stayed home w/ her yesterday. My turn today. Mom's turn again tomorrow.

I'm freaking out, man... First kid. First real illness :n00b::n00b:

Hang in there my brotha.. Scary as it is everything is going to be okay.

I have no doubt that you guys are watching your child closely and conferring with the Docs if anything seems unusual. So hang in there and let the hours pass. It's just going to take time but when they are young like this hours feel like days.

I remember way back having to put the kids in the bath late at night to cool their fever (okay my wife did) BUT I REMEMBER IT!:D

Hang in there Dad.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I just went through this with my 14-month old. Lasted a good week. Vomiting, squirts, the works.

I totally understand the angst, but now that this is my second child we weren't nearly as frantic as with the first.

We go a bit more of a natural route, but to each his own. We prefer to let these low-grade fevers run their course and achieve their purpose - strengthening the immune response. Watch it carefully, of course...certainly don't want to let it get into brain damage ranges.

If we ran to the doctor every time one of our kids was sick we would have spent this entire winter in emergency rooms :):

Doctors certainly have a valid purpose, but don't be too afraid to let their little bodies fight off minor infections!

Just my :twocents:

Praying for your little one.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is a good read for parents:

Fever | Ask Dr. Sears®
    SHOULD I TREAT A LOW GRADE FEVER?
    No. Low-grade fevers are helpful in fighting off infection. You should only treat a fever when it is making your child miserable. Treat your child, not the fever.

ETA: I'd like to add that after further research, the body is not harmed by fevers under 107 degrees, and even these are a result of a neurological problem and not an infection. Learn something new every day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the encouraging words, folks.

Another bout of projectile vomiting a little while ago... She kept her meal down for about 40 minutes before it all came up. I think that if she'd have been asleep / laying down that it probably wouldn't have repeated on her.

*sigh*

As far as running to the dr. every sniffle... We certainly don't do that. But, what can I say, she IS our first child. And I really do know that there's not much more resilient on the planet than a baby.

-J-

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    As far as running to the dr. every sniffle... We certainly don't do that. But, what can I say, she IS our first child. And I really do know that there's not much more resilient on the planet than a baby.

Hey I hear ya man. Please don't take it as criticism, we've spent many hours of our life at doctor's offices! When to take them/not take them is a nearly impossible question.

It sounds like you're a darn good dad. Keep up the good work. Raising kids is tough, but I can honestly say it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Nurse and Mom of two boys (18 and 20 now). They survived! Kids ARE resilient.

Your biggest issue right now is to prevent dehydration. I would not be too worried about feeding her - let her tummy settle down. Just keep the fluids going. Lots of pedialyte and anything she will drink - preferably not milk. Try just small amounts at first, and frequently to try and keep it down.

Watch for signs of dehydration. One of the easiest ways to monitor fluid intake is noting how many wet diapers she has.

Prayers to you all for rest, patience, and good health.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yup, sick kids are the worst. They make your hair grey very quickly! ;)

Just keep the meds in them like your suppose to, try to feed them when they will eat, and keep trying the pedalite.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    It sucks when your little kids are sick. We went to WI a couple weeks ago to help the daughter with our 2 grandsons because they were both sick, she was sick and just needed some help. (husband is a FF and had to work). While it was great to have the kids in my lap snuggling and sleeping, it really sucked to see them not well. We usually have a great time playing. Not much playing going on that weekend. :( But the snuggles were great.:) Hope yours gets better real soon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Today's main issues: severe/painful red butt from the squirts and we have to force pedialyte into her mouth with a medicine syringe. She just.won't.take.the.sipper.cup.

But mom is home with her today. That should make kiddo feel better just by having her around.

Let's hope!

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Good luck. I've got 2 little one myself, Kids are very strong even when we are weak. I think what makes it so hard is your her hero and can't do anything to help. One thing is for sure they do get better. Good luck again I fell for you.

Top Bottom