• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

^^^AMEN!!!^^^

I argued this years ago in a landscaping class. We had to read articles on the industry and the author was urging people to support one of the work visas for migrant workers because landscapers couldn't hire Americans to do the job.

I rebuffed that arguing that, "NO! Landscapers cannot hire Americans for the wages they want to pay!" If they started landscaping jobs at $40/hour you'd have hundreds of applicants. Of course, that is a silly number and way too high, but it makes the point that if you offer more than $9.25 an hour you'll get more, and better, applications. The more that is offered the higher the quality and quantity of applicant.

Naturally, if only one (1) company in a region out of 20 were to do this they would go out of business, and that is their argument. However, if ALL 20 were forced to do so by denying them cheap, illegal labor the market would remain in balance. Some folks would no longer use landscapers due to the increased cost, but not all. The same can be said for other industries, such as construction.

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to come to the United States, or any other country for that matter, to better their lives and the lives of their loved ones. The American Dream has always been for everyone - legally. But today many industries including tech companies rely on imported cheap labor to keep profits up for themselves and stockholders. This is not a problem except when they do so ignoring another stakeholder - the employee/contractor.

Regards,

Doug

If the left got it's way, and all illegal migrant workers were declared "Americans" with the full rights of citizenship, then they could demand the same wages as their legal counterparts, and the cheap labor would evaporate. I think there's not really incentive on either side to allow that to happen.

For all the moral chest thumping, I don't really see much will between bleeding heart borderless idiots and chamber-o-commerce Republicans to really fix the problem. One side seems content to keep the labor cheap. The other seems content to help them be illegal and stay in the shadows.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That seems like the simple, smart solution, right? The question is, why isn't the government doing it?

Well. I suppose if Trump can use his pen and phone to fabricate a ban on bumpfire stocks, he should be able to fabricate a law which imposes e-verify (or whatever) and stiffer penalties for hiring illegal migrants. It's not like he needs congress to pass legislation when he can just do it on his own.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well. I suppose if Trump can use his pen and phone to fabricate a ban on bumpfire stocks, he should be able to fabricate a law which imposes e-verify (or whatever) and stiffer penalties for hiring illegal migrants. It's not like he needs congress to pass legislation when he can just do it on his own.

I'm not placing that in the lap of Trump. It's a problem that has persisted well before him, as well as the solution. The way that powerful politicians and businessmen play the "one hand washes the other" game, I think many would be reluctant to put their cronies in legal predicaments.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not placing that in the lap of Trump. It's a problem that has persisted well before him, as well as the solution. The way that powerful politicians and businessmen play the "one hand washes the other" game, I think many would be reluctant to put their cronies in legal predicaments.

I'll say this for Rubio, he often has ideas that will actually solve problems. Not allways but often enough. But politics thwart some of the best ideas. Like I said, I kinda don't see a lot of evidence that either sides wants this problem solved. Everytime we near something that might solve it legislatively, someone adds a poison pill to scuttle it. And then there's the purists on both sides that work against any solution that doesn't solve it the way they want it solved.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That seems like the simple, smart solution, right? The question is, why isn't the government doing it?

Which argues the question about who the government listens to, the people it's supposed to represent or big money and influence form the dc beltway.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

My opinion is that anything in a penalty that involve fines simply won't do. Leadership looks at things like this as simply the cost of doing business. Executives in orange jumpsuits picking up trash along the highway in the hot summer sun for days on end is another matter. That would end the problem, but again, those people own the legal process.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Which argues the question about who the government listens to, the people it's supposed to represent or big money and influence form the dc beltway.

Ain't no money in solving the illegal immigrant problem. I think I'm going to invest in overly tall fence builders and ladder makers. Hedge my bets.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Ain't no money in solving the illegal immigrant problem. I think I'm going to invest in overly tall fence builders and ladder makers. Hedge my bets.
    Ain’t no money or perpetual political capital in solving a lot of things. There has to be winners and losers. Unfortunately the losers turn out to be all of us in the end.

The political landscape doesn’t allow for solutions when both sides are determined to thwart each other.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My opinion is that anything in a penalty that involve fines simply won't do. Leadership looks at things like this as simply the cost of doing business. Executives in orange jumpsuits picking up trash along the highway in the hot summer sun for days on end is another matter. That would end the problem, but again, those people own the legal process.

[video=youtube;85cL1HisrNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cL1HisrNc[/video]

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I think Trump's talking points are spot on. Why are we OK with spending trillions defending other countries' borders, but aren't willing to spend a few billion to protect ours? Are the dems willing to go the distance for the latino vot?. I hope the GOP is willing to go the distance for "middle America" votes.

Dem's are ok with giving billions in corruptible cash to the countries that are attempting(and succeeding) to "crash" our borders. A structured border might pay for itself eventually. We don't need new laws, just enforcement of the one's in place

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think Trump's talking points are spot on. Why are we OK with spending trillions defending other countries' borders, but aren't willing to spend a few billion to protect ours? Are the dems willing to go the distance for the latino vot?. I hope the GOP is willing to go the distance for "middle America" votes.

Dem's are ok with giving billions in corruptible cash to the countries that are attempting(and succeeding) to "crash" our borders. A structured border might pay for itself eventually. We don't need new laws, just enforcement of the one's in place

So this wall is about "Latino" vs "middle America" votes? Very interesting... I guess that's about as transparent one can be and still be slightly ambiguous with what they mean.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    So this wall is about "Latino" vs "middle America" votes? Very interesting... I guess that's about as transparent one can be and still be slightly ambiguous with what they mean.
    That's funny. I kinda thought the same thing when I read your post.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    tenor.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I’m sitting here wondering what on earth you could be inferring from his post.

I think your worldviews are so far apart that you can’t not project the perceived monsters in every word. Not every word that a conservative white man utters has a racist thought behind it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I’m sitting here wondering what on earth you could be inferring from his post.

I think your worldviews are so far apart that you can’t not project the perceived monsters in every word. Not every word that a conservative white man utters has a racist thought behind it.

Keep wondering, other people in "middle America," are probably keenly aware of the dangers of Latino voters.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom