• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am not giving away any advantage in any scenerio.

That said, rhino has a flashlight that will burn a hole in the "youths" clothing at 15ft, that should be enough to "enlighten" them.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    I have not been in any situation that actually required a gun besides target shooting and hunting. I lived in a small town in the country. My best friend's dad lived two houses down and two men that are not from this town broke his door down and continued to beat him until he was response less. Then they continued to beat him. They had an aluminum baseball bat. He doesn't know what was stolen if anything. He doesn't remember me and he was at the hospital the day I was born. He taught me how to use guns and now I have a .45 and a 12 gauge loaded and ready to defend me and my family which includes a 4 year old girl. If I didn't have these ready and someone took or worse to my daughter, what would I do? Blame myself for not being prepared. Anything can happen anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate to make myself known or to shoot. How do you know if they have a weapon, you don't. You don't blow through a red light and expect everyone to see that you are a dumba$$ just because you have big loud truck that has diesel smoke rolling out of the stacks. I don't want to shoot anyone but I will do what ever it takes to defend my family and me. Now kids stealing is another thing. If you blatantly see them and you know they are just being stupid kids, make yourself known and be stern with a baseball bat, pipe.... you get the idea. I have to say this is a very good topic and it is obvious people differ on it

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You won't hear me racking a shotty, as I keep it chambered, but you may hear the B.A.D. lever drop. Whatever weapon at hand, be assured it will be chambered well before a threat is in sight. If I wanted to scare somebody I'd just run after them in my drawers. :D

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Well, Mr Gungho......enjoyed razzin ya at the show tonight......that shirt fits great but I can't believe it cost me so much...opinionated my hinder parts LOL....but after more thought I'll go with one in the chamber too

Thanks again
    jonkertb

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good discussion here, and it has given me a chance to think and re-think my strategy.

Prior to getting a HD shotty (1 week ago), my primary home defense was a 9mm semi-auto pistol, with a round in the chamber, hammer down, and safety on. In a home invasion situation, flip the safety off and pull the douple action trigger. Pretty much point and click. The gun can be cocked and locked, but with a young child in the house, I want to be as safe as I can, even with the gun out of her reach.

Enter the shot-gun into the equation now. For some reason I feel more safe having it unloaded, chamber closed, safety OFF. Maybe it was the pre-concieved notion of the "Shuck-Shuck" and its powers to ward off any small time threat.

But as I read the thread, I realized that was really a contradiction with my previous plan of having my pistol ready with a round in the chamber. I've resolved to keeping the shot-gun loaded now with safety on.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I've had experiences that you likely have not had. I sincerely hope that is the case. I simply expressed an opinion. I don't care if you agree or not. I have exercised my training in real life, and I know what works for me. Do as you wish, but don't get all ninja about it.

Jay yet again you're sadly mistaken. I haven't been a virgin for a long time. Got lucky a few times and learned from it. From then on I've eliminated luck as an option as much as possible. Proper training and preparation is to never give up advantage. This is not subjective but fact. Good luck to you and your beliefs.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    For Starters I want to say THANKS to all that have come by and called me an opinionated ***. It has been fun to say the least! :): To those that have just come by to say hey and share your opinions and engage in discussion (when time allowed) its been fun and enlightening as well. Hope to see more of you on the last day there tomorrow,
    No longer have the free shirt available the first two or three actually got them, but we have plenty more for a reasonable fee. ;)

I am glad that some of you have reviewed your tactics and opinions on Shucking the Shotty. Is this chiseled in stone absolutely not, Each situation requires a different set of reactions as each situation is different, My major concern is that alot of people are entering a potentially life threatening situation with a preconceived notion that racking the gun is the way to go,
    Engaging the brain is the first thing that we need to get done if time allows, if not lets hope that the training we had saved our bacon. If action is necessary without time for reasonable thought then racking the shotty and going Boo just cost us our backside at the very least. I read in some tactical book somewhere, or seen it on the internet so it has to be true, that when **** hits the fan we act on what we know and how we train.

Thought, solid basic tactics and common sense are an asset. Not many would recommend a Zombie killing high speed tactical roll with acrobatic hops and 10,10,10,9 landings. (last judge is always a turd in the punch bowl)

Thanks guys for once again making this an interesting and infomative place to hang now and then.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I look at it from a bad guy perspective. If I break in, and hear that lovely sound of a pump shotgun. I'm going to get the f out quick, and in a hurry.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The long guns I keep ready for defensive use have loaded magazines (either the tube in the shotgun or box mag in the rifle) and empty chambers. Cycling the action would be the first thing I'd do upon retrieving them. If I need them, I don't care if someone hears me do it or not.

Top Bottom