• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I had posted this in another thread, But felt it needed its own topic, I know this has been covered a myriad of times but wanted to climb all over this topic and get some conversation and thought going on it again,

It seems that no matter how many times things in our community are debated that they always crop up with a new group of shooters or folks concerned about their safety. It is also mind numbing as to how even after all the years and experience there are still folks who cling to myths legends and fallacies.

I am not saying this is a fallacy nor a myth but its been debated over and over, I am on the silent side of this argument and don't want a miscreant knowing I am there till its too late for him to do anything about it, now there are always exceptions to the rule and I think it may be healthy to cover those again for the unknowing or stubborn who still think grampa gas pumper was the finest gunfighter on the planet.

To Shuck or not to Shuck!?!?

Now if there are some punk kids trying to steal my lawnmower or god forbid my snow blower, the last thing I (may) want to do is snuff their pure as snow innocent little lives out, SO strolling up behind them assessing the situation then shucking a trusty old Ithaca may jolt the little angels right back onto the path of decency without all the tears, media coverage and litigation that could result from snuffing them out. Worse I had to do was dig that shell out of the snow and they get to go home.

Now If I wake up to glass breaking and its as dark as Rosie O's slimy little progressive heart, The last thing I want to do is Shuck my shottie, for if they are in my house, they know I may be home, so their intent is vile and they may be better armed than me.......... (well not likely but for arguments sake;)) then it would behoove me to maintain the advantage of surprise, Keep the bad guy uninformed and ignorant of my position, intent and the fact that I am even awake and aware let alone armed.
    If the guy or guys crosses into an area where he becomes a serious threat to the well being of my wife, the Children,the gold fish or myself then the last thing I want him, them or they to hear is *snick* BOOOM.

Just food for thought and discussion.
    I would apologize for the touches of sarcasm and my attempts at humor but it would be completely insincere. :D

SOOOO who's going to be the first :draw: to come up to me at the 1500 and let me know that I am an opinionated *******? There may be a free T-Shirt in it.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I had posted this in another thread, But felt it needed its own topic, I know this has been covered a myriad of times but wanted to climb all over this topic and get some conversation and thought going on it again,

It seems that no matter how many times things in our community are debated that they always crop up with a new group of shooters or folks concerned about their safety. It is also mind numbing as to how even after all the years and experience there are still folks who cling to myths legends and fallacies.

I am not saying this is a fallacy nor a myth but its been debated over and over, I am on the silent side of this argument and don't want a miscreant knowing I am there till its too late for him to do anything about it, now there are always exceptions to the rule and I think it may be healthy to cover those again for the unknowing or stubborn who still think grampa gas pumper was the finest gunfighter on the planet.

Now if there are some punk kids trying to steal my lawnmower or god forbid my snow blower, the last thing I (may) want to do is snuff their pure as snow innocent little lives out, SO strolling up behind them assessing the situation then shucking a trusty old Ithaca may jolt the little angels right back onto the path of decency without all the tears, media coverage and litigation that could result from snuffing them out. Worse I had to do was dig that shell out of the snow and they get to go home.

Now If I wake up to glass breaking and its as dark as Rosie O's slimy little progressive heart, The last thing I want to do is Shuck my shottie, for if they are in my house, they know I may be home, so their intent is vile and they may be better armed than me.......... (well not likely but for arguments sake;)) then it would behoove me to maintain the advantage of surprise, Keep the bad guy uninformed and ignorant of my position, intent and the fact that I am even awake and aware let alone armed.
    If the guy or guys crosses into an area where he becomes a serious threat to the well being of my wife, the Children,the gold fish or myself then the last thing I want him, them or they to hear is *snick* BOOOM.

I would apologize for the touches of sarcasm and my attempts at humor but it would be completely insincere. :D

SOOOO who's going to be the first :draw: to come up to me at the 1500 and let me know that I am an opinionated *******? There may be a free T-Shirt in it.

Welcome to Ingo.

Don't feel too bad though, the outlook is no better on THR, Glock Talk, ARFCOM, TFL, NODAK, ZombieSquad, Hotel88, The Badlands, ect. ect.

The fact of the matter is, If you've been on ONE gun forum for 6 months, then you've been on all of them for 6 years. Very seldom is anything original discussed. 99% of the trafic on a dozen gun forums is wasted bandwidth.

Every blue moon though, the internet works its magic, and shows you something that makes it all worth the wait. :)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Snow blowers & T-shirts

Now I have a dilemna! While I would sincerely hate to pop some kid, I had never considered the possibility that the little weasel might try to steal my snow blower! That oughta' be a hangin' offense!

Opinionated is a good thing. I hate wondering what's going through a guy's mind. The Mossberg doesn't have a round chambered but I like the sound it makes when it gets one. I'm trying to imagine anything more threatening than that distinctive sound followed by the blinding light...... assuming the sound isn't immediately followed by a much louder sound complete with it's own flash of light. :draw:

I want a TSG T-shirt.............free or not! Probably see you at the show.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, I'll go ahead and throw my opinion out there. if I noticed a couple kids in the act of stealing my snow ... shovel... I wouldn't confront them with my Shotgun. Keep my pistol on me (as I always to, OC or CC doesn't matter) and ask them if they need any help. And see where it goes from there.

If I hear a window break - #1 grab the shotgun. Be as quiet as possible to see what's going on. Right before contact - rack the shotgun. I keep it unchambered just for this. I can guarantee it doesn't matter how much of a badass you think you are - you hear that and you're gonna freeze. Or maybe run.

Some people say, don't let them run. They'll be back and better armed. Untrue. Criminals look for easy targets. They won't be back.

I would never shoot unless I felt like my life was in danger.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Worse I had to do was dig that shell out of the snow and they get to go home.

This is the part so many fail to understand. Only an idiot would approach a situation without a chambered round. Even with a chambered round, you have the option of yet again racking the slide in an attempt to put the so-called fear of God into a would be assailant. Problem is, as brazen as some are these days, they are likely to stand and defy you. Why give them a chance to win the race.

At home I have multiple security measures in place and I assure you none of the motion sensors, other than the 5 100# dogs, will turn on a light or make a noise. They are there to let me know what is going on so that I can assess the situation and take appropriate measures without a possible intruder being the wiser. I will keep the advantage.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Forget the arguments about which is more intimidating, the double click of the revolver being cocked, the rack of the slide of the semi, or the tromboning of the pump shotgun.

The scariest sound some miscreant is going to hear if they break into MY house is the firing up of my chainsaw.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Forget the arguments about which is more intimidating, the double click of the revolver being cocked, the rack of the slide of the semi, or the tromboning of the pump shotgun.

The scariest sound some miscreant is going to hear if they break into MY house is the firing up of my chainsaw.

Or if one happens to be a libtard the sound of golf clubs rattling as you pull your putter out of the bag is terrifying...... ok well slightly intimidating. :rolleyes:

Old Syko Thank you for clarifying my point, sometimes I lose it in the rhetoric, :yesway:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I keep the mag full in my 870, but the chamber is empty.... Once any kids get in the fence...... they become the subject of interest for Luka......and if I'm out there too, he's fun to play with.... but if I'm inside... well, it's his yard. And, trust me, he will tell me you're there long before a window breaks.

luka16weeks3.jpg

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    So all I have to do is tell you your an opinionated asteric x7 and I get a free t shirt? :D

I too was once a beliver that the "shuck" sound would be all thats needed to protect me and mine, but I have now come to the realization that some people are bent on doing harm reguardless of sounds or intentions.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, I'll give my :twocents:

There are too many things that can go wrong doing the "SHUCK SHUCK" just to try to intimidate someone. God forbid the shotgun jams and you're left there looking like an idiot while the thugs beat you to death with it.

Or, heaven help you if for some reason you do need to shoot, and you've already handicapped yourself 1 round of ammunition by not having it loaded in the first place, or shucking the loaded one out on the ground.

The warnings should be verbal. If they don't understand that, then that is their own fault. There is no way to misconstrue commands given in the english language, and doing so will leave you just as prepared as you were before giving the commands.

What if you think you're sneaking up on them, getting ready to "shuck shuck" and they sneak up on you? Then what? You have a big club in your hand and you may not have the chance to get one in the chamber before they overtake you.

I personally think it is best to load it up, with one in the chamber prior to confronting the person, and be as prepared as you possibly can going into the situation. This is the same as carrying your sidearm without a round in the chamber. It is the absolutely stupid.

:twocents:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't think racking the slide is needed. Even if you just want to scare them away, I think looking down the barrel of a shotgun would be motivation enough to rethink their current situation.

And if they decided to defy you, you're ready to rock with a good sight picture, just have to add a little trigger pressure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just like a pistol...

"one in the chamber".

Too many variables, too many places for things to go wrong.

Heck even WITH one in the chamber, there are variables and places for things to go wrong. But having a cartridge in the chamber helps to eliminate SOME of them.

Safety off...boom. Just like my M&P.

-J-

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I keep the mag full in my 870, but the chamber is empty.... Once any kids get in the fence...... they become the subject of interest for Luka......and if I'm out there too, he's fun to play with.... but if I'm inside... well, it's his yard. And, trust me, he will tell me you're there long before a window breaks.

luka16weeks3.jpg

good lookin' dog you got there! and the best security system ever, for a bowl of dog food per day .

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

I hear this 'story' of the 'sound of the shotgun being racked' all the time. People use it a lot when talking lovingly about their shotgun in a defensive situation.
    My question is, when I've been in fist fights before, I sometimes did not hear people yelling at me for whatever reason. With the adrenaline pumping, heart rate up, I'm not so sure, if I was invading a home that I'd actually HEAR the 'shotgun rack' sound. Really.

I'm just not going to count that into ANY equation for a defensive scenario. Depending, or hoping to depend upon that sound---that it will psychologically effect an intruder--- is ludicrous. It's like standing at a static range and engaging paper and saying 'I've been trained'.

You are counting on something that is simply played up, I think.

What if you're in downtown Detroit in your apartment, the the crackhead doesn't even know what a shotgun is? Expecting him to tuck tail and run at a sound in the apartment, when he needs some cash, when he's desperate, when he's HOPPED UP is like expecting to win the lottery.

Why even consider it? Why not train to deal with the problem and IF, IF in fact the 'racking sound' actually does turn them out of the house...good.

To me, it's not a viable point to include in a procedure when defending the home. It's an 'extra' that is just that, an extra.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm just not going to count that into ANY equation for a defensive scenario. Depending, or hoping to depend upon that sound---that it will psychologically effect an intruder--- is ludicrous. It's like standing at a static range and engaging paper and saying 'I've been trained'.

That's true.... to a point.... (my opinion) I think it depends on a homeowners individual situation. My neighborhood is very quiet. An intruder is not out to make noise. Racking my shotgun will be easily heard inside my house, and racking it will NOT adversely affect my ability to become actively defensive. The level of training required is usually up to the individual, and the training level required for a likely intrusion by a dope-filled crackhead (Detroit), might not be required for the once-in-twenty-years teenager, after a stereo, in my little town of 800 folks.

What if you're in downtown Detroit in your apartment, the the crackhead doesn't even know what a shotgun is? Expecting him to tuck tail and run at a sound in the apartment, when he needs some cash, when he's desperate, when he's HOPPED UP is like expecting to win the lottery.

If I were in downtown Detroit, my plan would be considerably different.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    That's true.... to a point.... (my opinion) I think it depends on a homeowners individual situation. My neighborhood is very quiet. An intruder is not out to make noise. Racking my shotgun will be easily heard inside my house, and racking it will NOT adversely affect my ability to become actively defensive. The level of training required is usually up to the individual, and the training level required for a likely intrusion by a dope-filled crackhead (Detroit), might not be required for the once-in-twenty-years teenager, after a stereo, in my little town of 800 folks.

Are you serious? Do you honestly think that where you live should determine either training or defensive actions? First of all, if an intruder has already entered your house you have received strike 1. Jacking a round into your pumpgun's chamber gives away your position, strike 2. Add that to the natural tension of the situation and strike 3 is at hand. Contrary to what you may choose to believe, proper defensive training and preparedness is the same all over.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

I understand where you are coming from. I'm just speaking from a 'what if Farmer Jed just woke up, it's 2AM and someone just entered the farmhouse backdoor'.

He should NOT c o u n t on the sound of pumping the shotgun as a deterrent at all. And really WHO should? Who would include that in their training regimen?
    1. Pump shotgun
    2. wait to hear if intruder is intimated by 'shotgun' sound (??)
    3. proceed to act to offensively remove intruder from house or stop his progress

I just feel that this whole 'idea' of hoping for an intimidation factor is just kind of immature. Or the whole infatuation of the 'shotgun sound' has somehow overrided cognitive thought.

It may be just me; but, if I head up to Louis Awebuck's class I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna hear him say 'you have to weigh in the intimidation factor of the shotgun pumping sound as you are determining your threat'.
    That is all I am saying. Train otherwise, and if you get a 'trump card' of intimidation, good... if not, you haven't lessened your offensive by it's failure to 'intimidate'.

Good points all, I'm interested.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    If I suspect someone has entered or is about to enter my home, my HD shotgun already has one in the chamber. Im not making a Steven Seagal movie, im protecting my family and myself. No need for TV antics and BS.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Are you serious? Do you honestly think that where you live should determine either training or defensive actions? First of all, if an intruder has already entered your house you have received strike 1.

IF he gets in un-noticed.... not likely

Jacking a round into your pumpgun's chamber gives away your position, strike 2.

Only if you're familiar with my house...., and you're not

Add that to the natural tension of the situation and strike 3 is at hand.

I know what my adreneline causes in me....do you ? Didn't think so.

Contrary to what you may choose to believe, proper defensive training and preparedness is the same all over.

Proper is very subjective...... and is NOT the same all over. You gonna put grandma through force-on-force training?

Relax.

I've had experiences that you likely have not had. I sincerely hope that is the case. I simply expressed an opinion. I don't care if you agree or not. I have exercised my training in real life, and I know what works for me. Do as you wish, but don't get all ninja about it.

Top Bottom