• ...and so much more!
  • dwagner3701

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    South of Lafayette
    biggest fear

My biggest fear is that when the SHTF my two daughters won't be at home. They are 19 and 21. One goes to Purdue and the other goes to IU.
    I don't know what to expect as far as trying to get them home. My son is 23 and armed. I'm not too worried about him, but the wife and girls concern me.
    Does anyone have any theories on how much warning we will have?
    I'm trying to develop a plan.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Days, hours, none :dunno:

I am gonna try to get home to my family if I am at work as quick as possible. Your best hope for making sure they are ok may be to go to them rather than try to get them to you, although you may have to trust someone to get one to you with distances like that between colleges

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If it were an EMP attack that most people fear then you will have likely have no warning or anything with electrical circuits immediately after. If its a natural disaster then being in Indiana we will most likely have weather alerts for anything but an earthquake. Honestly, the only way to be prepared is to be prepared for all things to some degree with water, food, medical, and defense supplies at your home. Also, at least an idea of friends or family that are like minded and will be prepared as well and even better a place several of you can go and stay together to help each other.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    What about someone like me? I don't have a family I'm single but I am reliant on a eye prescription med that I have to take everyday for eye pain/swelling from an eye trauma when I was a child. And you can't stock up on the prescription because they won't allow you to, so if the bottle says 15 days supply on it you can't refill unless its the 15th day or longer. :(
    Sorry to tell you this brother, but when it comes to HTF situations not all men are equal. You will prepare for what you can reasonably prepare for. The best you can do, is the best you can do!

I will echo what Cpt Caveman said though. Do your research find out if there are other treatments you could try, if for some reason your source of meds dried up. For you that might be right up on the list with food and water.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Nobody knows who will do it but it is thought to be the biggest attack anyone could do on the United States as it will wipe out the electrical grid. In theory, a terrorist with a nuclear device would be able to get it high enough over the U.S. that it would essentially blanket most of the United States with the EMP. I know it is unproven but it it something many people are fearing more and more. Also, it was said during the cold war that if Russia had ever went to war with America then the first nukes would be air bursts to wipe out all electronics. It sounds far fetched but it is also very possible.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The attempt of an EMP doesn't even have to be able to be fired from a long distane if they can move and transport a nuke on a semi they can do it with a cargo ship off of our coastlines. You guys need to read One Second After, there is a thread in this forum acouple of weeks back about it. The guy that wrote the novel is an expert on the field, the foreward is worth the price of the book.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Glad to see this thread getting some responses. I would say tobacco, alchohol, ammo, coffee, and any food supplies would be very valuable in a disaster situation of even a week or two. Anything that people have an addiction for can be traded or sold at great value regardless if its an illegal drug or something as simple as whiskey. Also, I really need to get that book One Second After as I have heard nothing but great reviews.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Glad to see this thread getting some responses. I would say tobacco, alchohol, ammo, coffee, and any food supplies would be very valuable in a disaster situation of even a week or two. Anything that people have an addiction for can be traded or sold at great value regardless if its an illegal drug or something as simple as whiskey. Also, I really need to get that book One Second After as I have heard nothing but great reviews.

Man you're right.I love my coffee,and my wife without cigarettes for a week or two? I'd trade a bottle of Seagram's VO for a pack of Salems!:): Note to self... booze doesn't go bad, tobaco gets stale. $50 worth of whiskey, vodka,etc. could be worth its weight in gold in a SHTF situation

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Lapel
    barter?

On top of the endless supply of SHTF we all still need more of, I was thinking of picking up a dozen or so pair of sturdy work boots. Used,cheap who cares when someone else wants them and you have them.

Just thinking

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    barter/trade material

This brings up a conversation I had with my brother in law recently. We were talking about "what if's". Like what if our economy collapsed and walmart and gas stations shut down for a significant time. What would we do? He said he wouldnt be worried because the economy would eventually come back and he has stocks,bonds,gold,401K,blah,blah. I think people think gold for example is going to get them through as if people will watn gold in an extended crisis situation,I explained that you cant throw a piece of gold and bring down a deer for example. I explained that gold,bonds,etc are only worth something if there is a financial system set up to recognize it. Real barter material is something we need to stock up on. I really am thankful for the feedback from my original thread. Keep it coming.:)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I keep a small stash of cash on hand for an emergency but if a true national or global crisis occurs that is long term then money is useless. Barter and survival type items like food, water, ammo, and other supplies will be much more valuable but if nothing ever happens then you will be prepared but may struggle now. Personally, I try to get supplies whenever I can and not hurt my regular everyday life but I want to be as prepared as possible.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I believe that we all hope and pray that this situation never materializes, but we also hope that we have planned far enough ahead if it does! My sons are all married one to a doctor so we are covered there. We have been putting back some ammo and reloading materials and cleaning supplies for the firearms. Food of course is the hard thing to put back now because of shelf life. We have started doing some canning and dehydrating but this only is good for so long. I have a large area that is heavily wooded and have begun construction plans for a hot house to raise veggies and other food. We need to be working with our neighbors for a contengency plan where each has responsibility for differant areas. Work as a commune and defend that commune from all invaders!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The problem with all of this is when is enough, enough?

How many rounds of deer killing capable ammo do you really need? One hundred... A thousand... Tens of thousands???

How much food do you really need for you and your family? A 72 hour kit... A week supply... A month... A year???

What about a water filter.... How many gallons of water are we ready to be able to filter?

What about medical & hygene supplies?? How many bandades do you have? Could you staple a wound closed? How much asprin, how much toothpaste, soap, hand sanatizer do you have?

I struggle with these questions because last year we got snowed in for a while and it was slim pickings around the house for food. Now we have a baby and I am very determined that last year won't repeat itself. I think people in this country are mad enough that if problems (riots) broke out we could easily be on our own for weeks.

I don't have enough of the items listed above for that amount of time.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The problem with all of this is when is enough, enough?

How many rounds of deer killing capable ammo do you really need? One hundred... A thousand... Tens of thousands??? I would think at least 100 of 12 G and a rifle caliber to start with .

How much food do you really need for you and your family? A 72 hour kit... A week supply... A month... A year??? At least 2 months then add to it when you can .

What about a water filter.... How many gallons of water are we ready to be able to filter? A filter and a barrel to hold the water , if not then a decent filter and replacement parts for it .

What about medical & hygiene supplies?? How many bandages do you have? Could you staple a wound closed? How much aspirin, how much toothpaste, soap, hand sanitizer do you have? This one is tricky , get an emergency surgery book and study it now , not when you need it .

Hand sanitizer I'm getting goofy with because it's gonna be a big deal if the water isn't working , you can NEVER have enough . Aspirin / pain relievers -- a few of those 100 ct bottles of each .

Basically each week take $30 to the Dollar store and get the basics , say one of each, toothpaste and brushes , 1 bottle of aspirin , liquid and bar soap and so on .

I struggle with these questions because last year we got snowed in for a while and it was slim pickings around the house for food. Now we have a baby and I am very determined that last year won't repeat itself. I think people in this country are mad enough that if problems (riots) broke out we could easily be on our own for weeks. Your gonna need formula and diapers . Again each week instead of eating out / fast food , buy an extra bag of can goods or anything that will keep for a while and put it back and DON"T TOUCH IT PERIOD .

Doing this will put you somewhat ahead of the rest of the folks who don't think anything bad can or will happen . Search this thread , there is a ton of good info here .

Hope this helps .

I don't have enough of the items listed above for that amount of time.

Hope this helps ya :yesway:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How many rounds of deer killing capable ammo do you really need? One hundred... A thousand... Tens of thousands??? I would think at least 100 of 12 G and a rifle caliber to start with . If you say only 100 of shotgun and 100 of rifle, then I am overly prepared here. No more worrying about this part of it for me. :)

How much food do you really need for you and your family? A 72 hour kit... A week supply... A month... A year??? At least 2 months then add to it when you can . Right now, if I stretched out what we had, maybe we'd get two weeks. I'm going to pick up some more instant rice and canned fruits tomorrow.

What about a water filter.... How many gallons of water are we ready to be able to filter? A filter and a barrel to hold the water , if not then a decent filter and replacement parts for it . Currently I have a filter and a spare filter for it. It says it's rated for 200 gallons, and with the spare I should be good for 400 gallons. I guess I'm pretty covered here IF the ratings are accurate.

What about medical & hygiene supplies?? How many bandages do you have? Could you staple a wound closed? How much aspirin, how much toothpaste, soap, hand sanitizer do you have? This one is tricky , get an emergency surgery book and study it now , not when you need it . I have an Army Survival book and several other books, but no real dedicated first aid book. Any recomendations?

Hand sanitizer I'm getting goofy with because it's gonna be a big deal if the water isn't working , you can NEVER have enough . Aspirin / pain relievers -- a few of those 100 ct bottles of each . Is aspirin the way to go or should it be tylenol, advil etc? I used aspirins name, but I'd want to stock up on a cure all type of pain reliever.

Basically each week take $30 to the Dollar store and get the basics , say one of each, toothpaste and brushes , 1 bottle of aspirin , liquid and bar soap and so on . I've been doing similar to what you're talking about and I think I have a decent start, but I definately have some gaps to fill.

This thread has been a great help!

Top Bottom