• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I hate to drag up this discussion again, but I needed more specific opinions than what I have found in the searches.

So the wife and I have kicked around the idea of getting another vehicle with the idea of it being a semi-daily driver but also a get out of dodge vehicle. It has to be 4x4 for the obvious reasons, but also so we can use it for when we have decent amounts of snow.

I'm thinking late 90's Jeep Cherokee. I had one before and loved it. There is so much you can do with them, plus they are just an overall dependable vehicle. The wife is thinking something that won't be affected by an EMP. That's what I get for telling her about EMP's and what effect they have on electronics.

Please give me you opinions as to which one. If you are for a vehicle that can survive and EMP, please name some suggested vehicles. I can only think of Ford Broncos, but that may just be cause I may be able to get my hands on one.

Thanks

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would go with the Jeep. Realistically, the benefits of more advanced technology and comfort in the jeep outweigh the sole benefit the "emp proof" vehicle would have over the jeep. If emp-proofing is absolutely necessary to you, get the needed spare parts and put them in a faraday cage.:twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Neither

I'm not a fan of SHTF vehicles. I purposely moved to a place where I can stay right where I am. If I get driven out of my home then I have a fallback area that is only about six miles away. This is one of the reasons that I got out of the city. I know and trust my neighbors here. My hunting buddies all live within blocks of me. My neighbors on all three sides are armed and two of them are also preppers. The guy across the the street shoots cowboy action and he is a good friend. If the SHTF I am bugging in, not out.

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Uhhh Eddie there is a flaw in your logic, unless you never ever leave your house. There is good reason to have a vehicle that you trust for a SHTF ride, you may not be at your homestead when SHTF. I too live in the country but I work in Greenwood so I have a vehicle that I trust can go anywhere to get me home.

truegrit

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Highland,IN
    I vote neither also any vehicle especially with a manual transmission built before 1996 will revert to some sort of limp mode if the compute is knocked out it will start and run it may run like crap but will get you where you need to I would still look at some sort of 4wd SUV or pick up for a manual transmission you may have to consider an imort though Toyota 4runner or and older S-10 blazer

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I interpreted SHTF vehicle to mean those vehicles prepared by persons whose survival strategy is to leave their home and "go mobile" during a crisis.

Hell man don't apologize to me. I could be off base myself only zcam knows for sure who is thinking like him. I guess when he tells us we will know, I was merely opening a different thought process.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Lapel
    EMP?

Other than a nuke what else will create a EMP large enough to cook computers in jeeps? And what is the advantage of having the only running truck after one? If a nuke pops off a few miles down the road im not going to drive anyway.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I'm not really thinking of one plan. IMHO, the situation dictates BUG in or BUG out. The point made about being at work and getting home is a good one. You never know when the SHTF, so to plan to stay in place may not work, unless you never leaver your home now. My thought was that this vehicle would be multi-useful now as well as give us the option to get out of dodge if we needed to.

I would like to be able to stay in place and defend my castle, but until we can move and get out of the burbs, we have to make due with what we have and best plan for our situation.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    get two jeeps, they're fairly cheap and if one finally craps out, you can use it for spare parts.
    i should know, i've totally destroyed 2 of em! still drivin' the other two!

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Shes not exactly the ultimate bug out vehicle but we have a 99 E350 Bus:D. Yes I drive the short bus ( explains things):n00b: but with a diesel engine, and lots of room for people and gear, as well as the ability to tow she would be the go to for MAJOR escape with family.:yesway: As far as blizzard, flood or just out bustin zombies I'd take the pick up, S-10 with ZR2 package, that is a good little truck.:twocents: :patriot: DON

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A Jeep and a Trailer! Pick-ups are nice, but there is something to be said for having a trailer, PU or Jeep, or mini van for that matter. Especially if the trailer takes the same wheels.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    How about the Chevy Avalanche? All the gear can be stored and locked up in the back with the hard bed covers and locking tailgate. Also the locking storage on each side of the bed. I have a 2003 and love it. Civilian contractors are using them in the middle east. Some even have 50 cals mounted in the bed.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    diesel 1 ton pickup , 4x4 pre 1991 , ford chevy and dodge from about 1985 -1991 all have solid powertrains and manual injection diesel engines , in late 90's most went to heui or common rail injection and have more electronic parts

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I'll help with defining EMP-resistant vehicles.

Keep in mind that since there isn't much real experience with nukes, EMP, and the effects on vehicle electronics, this is all a little speculative. So these may not be EMP-proof, but some vehicles are certainly more robust to magnetic fields and radiation than others.

1. The MOST electronically-robust vehicles are diesels with mechanical fuel systems. These ignition-less, tractor-like engines rely on electrical power only for starting, and with a manual transmission, could be easily push or downhill started. Examples include older Mercedes cars, early GM diesels (6.2L and 6.5L I think), early Ford 6.9L and 7.3L engines, and best of all 1990-1998 Dodge with Cummins diesels. Don't confuse these with more modern diesels that have electronic fuel systems, with ECMs (computers). Avoid these if EMP is a concern.

2. The second best choices are older gasoline engines with contact points in the distributor, without electronic ignitions and ECMs. Note sure when the last points cars were made, but probably before the mid-1970s. These still rely on electrical systems for ignition and starting, but not electronic (semiconductor) systems.

3. The last choice is any vehicle, gasoline or diesel, with electronic controls, which is about everything since 1998.

Lastly, since modern automatic transmissions are electronic, manual transmissions are always more robust than modern automatics.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom