• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I have a very large quantity of pea gravel that I need to find a use for...long story short, it was used as floor in a storage area that is the same surface area as my house. I'm removing the pea gravel and am going to put in floor. Now I have who knows how many cubic yards of the stuff, and nothing to do with it...

Ideas to date:

>use it as a filler to make backstops for a range (with dirt over it, don't worry)
    >fill hundreds of small burlap bags and use for various things (I have no idea for what, shoring up tunnels or some such nonsense?)
    >put a loop into the driveway
    >use it as....

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    you could use it to build outdoor latrines lol. we needed a ton of it when we set up our middle of nowhere fob in afghanistan. obviously its only for liquids but in a shtf scenario for the men anyways its a urinal basically. sure you could find directions for it online.
    just a option

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Put it some place out of the way in a pile. Don't waste it, it has many uses.

Don't use it on a drive way or parking area.

Use it as a tank or vehicle trap if you have a direction you would want to stop a motorized assault. You could fill a pit with in a few inches of the top and put 6 inches of top soil and foot traffic would never notice but nothing with wheels could ever cross it.

Use it as a floor in a dog kennel.

Use it in the leach field of septic system or drain a wet area of a yard.

Use in a 4 inch pipe for anti personel charges.

Amo in sling shots.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I like the idea of the filter and the urinal...
    The urinal is pretty self-explanatory, but as for the filter...

Something along the lines of getting a 50gallon plastic barrel, putting cheesecloth in the bottom, then charcoal, then sand, then the pea gravel and with watertight valves on top and bottom?

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Whenever I have something I want to get rid of, I drag it out front to the curb and write "FREE" on a paper sign attached to the object. It usually disappears within 48 hours (and you'd be amazed what people will take).

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    It's good for putting in the bottoms of post holes to help drain water away from the bottom of your post (to prevent water from wicking up the post).

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Put it on the FREE section of Craigslist. Put it out on the curb with a sign, and let someone else deal with it! That paper FREE sign works wonders!

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Put it on the FREE section of Craigslist. Put it out on the curb with a sign, and let someone else deal with it! That paper FREE sign works wonders!

You need a sign? In Lake county we had to chain the grill (we wanted to keep) down in the driveway or some yahoo would try to wander off with it.lol:draw:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    If you have room keep it

Good base for retaining wall too, bottom of fence posts so water doesnt set. Fill for weight for the back of a vehicle in winter for traction. Dog kennel. Put a sign in a grocery store if you cant store it and someone will come and take it or newspaper for free. Id take it if I was by you.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Regarding the underlying concept of this thread a cool thing my wife has found and used a LOT is a yahoo group called freecycle that is specific to your area (I just looked on her computer and hers is "carmelfreecycle" I'm pretty sure you go to yahoo com and start looking for groups you may have to have a free email addy there?.) The idea is pretty cool because you get kind of like bartering credits for posting stuff to give away which you can use to surf the boards and get stuff for free.
    Advantages for giver and receiver are numerous: a few...
    --you can do it so that you are not just posting your location to everyone and saying "come to my house you now have an excuse to trespass",
    -- it is more like a online classifieds so the person who wants it says "I want it" and you let them know where it is and if they can get it anytime or if it is something you cannot set out to the curb coordinate when to get it.
    --I'm pretty sure if it is something like a bucket of sand you have the option to just say come and get it and not have to mess with answering emails or any hassle other than posting it.
    --Prevents someone seeing the free sign on their way home, then they arrange to get their brother-in-laws truck, and then come over just to find out it is already gone (yeah I know its free where is the justification for a complaint but...)
    --it is "freecycle not freeloader" so the people that are able to come get it are people who have also given stuff up and understand the idea of give and take.

The sign by the curb does work fast also.

Top Bottom