451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Make sure you do the same :D

I did...page 2 of the tread...

If for some really obscure reason I was only allowed to grab 1 rifle before all other were made unavailable to me I would grab the most useful rifle in my safe, a Ruger 10/22.

1. Most common caliber in the US
    2. Best for hunting
    3. Works for SD
    4. Can carry an obscene amount of ammo easily
    5. It can easily be used by every member of my family.
    6. Extremely easy to suppress in a SHTF scenario.

Doesn't anyone read more than the OP before posting?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Make sure you do the same :D

If for some really obscure reason I was only allowed to grab 1 rifle before all other were made unavailable to me I would grab the most useful rifle in my safe, a Ruger 10/22.

1. Most common caliber in the US
    2. Best for hunting
    3. Works for SD
    4. Can carry an obscene amount of ammo easily
    5. It can easily be used by every member of my family.
    6. Extremely easy to suppress in a SHTF scenario.

The OP laid out the rules...saying use the best for the task at hand then saying I want this rifle for this and that rifle for that does not follow the parameters of the OP which said pick one...not a half dozen for different situations.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    What's with the rifle choosing for the apocalypse lately? This is the second poll along these lines, that I have seen in about a week.

My vote does not change. Again an AK in the caliber of your choosing. My choice is 7.62x39, with as many soft points that I can carry.

As far as the weight argument goes, my Saiga 7.62x39 conversion comes in at 6#-14 oz.

My 7.62x39 M4 AR comes in at 7#-4oz. Just weighed them both. lol

Both not bad weight, for 7.62x39 carbine rifles.

Last edited:

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    AK all the way. I could be wrong but I hear a lot of votes for AR's because that is what you are familiar with. I think if you spent some time with an AK you would change your mind.

I have owned both and put 1000's of rounds downrange with both. In a perfect world I like the AR most because it is lighter, more accurate at longer ranges and I can carry more ammo. BUT....

Being a realist I know the AR will not/cannot match the AK for reliability and simplicity of use. So although I would prefer a lighter, more "American" rifle. If it is a true SHTF scenario, who knows how long it will be between cleanings?

I have a friend that has been torture testing one of his AK's for 8 years without ever cleaning it. It still runs 100%. (Try that with an AR)

AK gets my vote. :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

That's just you saying so yourself. It's not like God himself came down, and said the .22 is the most versatile round. I'm still going to stick with saying that the shotgun, is the most versatile platform. That's my opinion though. There is nothing set in stone, saying so. I did read all of your posts by the way. You may not agree with my opinion, but that does not make it right or wrong. Just like it does not make your opinion right or wrong.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I picked the AK, but only after going back and forth voting with the AR.

Right now my AR would be the rifle I'd pick up. However, I have more 7.62x39 ammo on hand right now for the AK. I think the AK probably offers a bit easier use by a family member in SHTF who aren't familiar with either the AK or the AR.

This is highly unscientific, but based on when I've taken friends shooting. A lot of them have troube figuring out how to work the AR charging handle, safety, bolt catch, and mag release, but seem to take right to the AK. Charging handle on the AK is obvious, although the safety isn't all that intuitive either.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Why does everyone see the need for a MBR when most likely you will use your rifle for food gathering and not for repelling boarders? An AK isn't going to leave much of Mr Squirrel for the stew pot. With a 22 I can easily pack a couple thousand rounds without effort and even better when used for hunting, just a little imagination will make it quiet enough you don't alert the whole county to your position. Very low muzzle flash (again none if you use imagination) and I bet any of the people on this forum would decide to quit their aggression with a couple or three 22s in their belly.

im with him :yesway:

my Marlin 795 would be first out the door with me. the thing weighs almost nothing and carrying thousands upon thousands of rounds isn't a very signifcant weight either. i can kill pretty much anything i need for food with it. especially if its me and maybe one or 2 other people. i don't need to kill a whole deer for food. even tho it might be possible. all i would need is a few squirrels, rabbits, birds. not to mention there are tons of other food sources if your knowledgeable that don't require bullets. .22 in my book no need for overkill. especially if pounds count.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    First, a "SHTF" situation isn't likely to last more than a few weeks - worst case. If you're planning for an extinction event like a meteor the size of Rhode Island smacking into Moscow... and civilization as we know it ends, then yeah... your choice of rifles will adjust accordingly.

But I consider a complete collapse of government (local or federal) for the rest of our lives, or even for months or years, to be pretty high on the "not likely to happen" scale.

So, choosing a .22 to defend your house, family and yourself is probably less than ideal. Hopefully most of us here has enough food to last a couple of weeks, even a couple of months in their homes. If not, don't plan on hunting squirrels for sustenance, instead buy a few bags of rice and other non-perishables and stick it in the pantry. Then arm yourself to keep looters and scavengers out of your home.

If you live even in a remotely populated area, hoping to compete with thousands of people in the same area to eat cat sized animals (or smaller) probably won't get you very far. It won't take long to wipe out the local population.

Again, plan accordingly if you're worried about it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was going to say that if it's a long term situation. The best thing you can do is defend your family, and your property. Do not go out unless you absolutely have too. You need somewhere to stash food, first aid, ammo, firearms, etc. If you have to go out, try and go in groups. A person by themselves is nothing but an easy target. If you do have to go out alone, I would want something more than a .22. Yeah it's great for taking small game, but again for self defense, I would want something more substantial. Why would you want to carry hundreds of rounds anyways? I have a bandoleer that holds 28 shells I believe. Throw it over my shoulder, and it weighs hardly anything. Then count the five in the tube, one in the chamber, and five on the stock.

Again though, I would not go out alone unless I absolutely had too. Also, I would want something more than a .22 to defend my family and my home. If something did happen. I would load up my stuff and head to my parents house. Which is only 4-5 minutes from my apartment. I would make it my duty to protect them, and their home. I know my Dad has 20,000 + rounds. I have 6,000 + myself. Between him and I, we have probably 30 guns. Anywhere from .22 to 7.62x39. We would run out of food and water, before we ran out of ammo.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I had to go with the ar, since that is the only one that I currently have. The M1A is my second choice.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    So, choosing a .22 to defend your house, family and yourself is probably less than ideal. Hopefully most of us here has enough food to last a couple of weeks, even a couple of months in their homes. If not, don't plan on hunting squirrels for sustenance, instead buy a few bags of rice and other non-perishables and stick it in the pantry. Then arm yourself to keep looters and scavengers out of your home.

Again though, I would not go out alone unless I absolutely had too. Also, I would want something more than a .22 to defend my family and my home.

ehh this is where the lines get blurry with this scenario though. if im at home defending it i will have all my guns and ammo. therefore no need to choose one. choose per situational necessity. i still stand by my .22 if i have to leave though. of course that is only if i HAD to choose one. in reality it will be my Mossberg 500, Marlin 795 and Glock 23. so for me the "choose one" isn't realistic. and if i am only taking my .22 in reality i'm also going to avoid strangers at all costs, so the BG scenario isn't happening unless i run up on people accidently or i am tracked.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ruger 10/22. You can carry thousands of rounds of ammo with ease. You can also stock up on the ammo CHEAP. They are reliable and for all general purposes, a .22 in the right spot will do the trick just as good as any other caliber.

I know that the other options out there have more range than the 10/22 but, in a true SHTF scenario, are you really going to be using your ammo on threats that far out there?

Top Bottom