• SHTF Rifles

• Total voters

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Best SHTF rifle of my collection....opinions only;)
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went with the AR as that what I have the most experience with, by a large margin. That said, I got an AK-74 for Christmas and if it's as reliable as my Draco, and accurate to around 300yds or so, I may have to rethink my choice.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    It depends on what the SHTF scenario is. Civil unrest? Military invasion? Martial law? Natural disaster? End of the world? Or the ever popular Zombies!!!!

Am I fortified in my house or some other place? Do I have to stay mobile? Do I have to stay inconspicuous? How many aggressors? Are they out to get me, or just my supplies?

If you're on the run, running around with a big azz gun might be something that tips off the authorities.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Im new to the gun community what would be the best SHTF long gun I hear alot like the AR15 for its accuracy and distance but I see the AK47 has reliability.

Im curious which would offer the most user friendly application

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Im new to the gun community what would be the best SHTF long gun I hear alot like the AR15 for its accuracy and distance but I see the AK47 has reliability.

Im curious which would offer the most user friendly application

There is alot of debate on this one but really its mostly a user choice. The ar is more precise, better ammo load, sometimes lighter,less recoil, and a massive amount of parts availibility.

The ak hits harder, insainly reliable, simple to use, and far cheaper. You can get two ak for the price of one ar.

It really comes down to a personal choice and how you plan to use it. Id say even a good shooting ak is only good out to 300yds with good optics but an ar can push 600yds and still hit a pop bottle all day long. just not very hard. Now if the gas piston ar proves to be really reliable then the ar may finally strart to really pull ahead of the ak for the most part. On big atvantage of the ak ist ease of use and matence. I you just a basic understanding of how guns work you can breack down and reasemble an ak with out being shown. let alone how fast you can teach someone on the fly. The ar is simple but not so much as the ak.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Voted for the AR. Since its only opinions I have far more experience with the AR than any of the other rifles. All of those rifles are capable, but If I were you I'd pick the one you're most comfortable with. If it doesn't work out, looks like you got a Plan B, C, D, and E.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I chose the AR platform for a couple of reasons;
    1st: We have several :D
    2nd: The M-Fourgeries are very plentiful and I suspect that there will be more than a few to be found for spares and spare parts if we really do have a SHTF scenario.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Since the poll specified riflle I choose Other. I would want my FAL for a SHTF rifle. For general SHTF situations though I would rather have a Remington 870 in my hands.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If for some really obscure reason I was only allowed to grab 1 rifle before all other were made unavailable to me I would grab the most useful rifle in my safe, a Ruger 10/22.

1. Most common caliber in the US
    2. Best for hunting
    3. Works for SD
    4. Can carry an obscene amount of ammo easily
    5. It can easily be used by every member of my family.
    6. Extremely easy to suppress in a SHTF scenario.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If for some really obscure reason I was only allowed to grab 1 rifle before all other were made unavailable to me I would grab the most useful rifle in my safe, a Ruger 10/22.

1. Most common caliber in the US
    2. Best for hunting
    3. Works for SD
    4. Can carry an obscene amount of ammo easily
    5. It can easily be used by every member of my family.
    6. Extremely easy to suppress in a SHTF scenario.

Here's a question for everyone. Let's say that you have to bugout for some reason (civil unrest, earthquake, whatever), and you've made your choice about what rifle to take. Assuming you have several rifles, each with ammo, what do you do with the rest of them? Do you leave them, with the hope that you will be able to return to get them before looters get to them, or do destroy everything so they don't fall into the hands of looters, and if so, how?

Top Bottom