• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The company I work for has a division that works with commercial swine production. The manager of that division claims the amoxycillin they use is the same pink stuff we give to kids. Never tried any myself and not what I would consider useful for SHTF because it needs refigerated. I guess my point is if things got bad enough the animal meds would probably work.

My wife and I have been asking this same question. It would make sense to have some antibiotics on hand.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I doubt you would care about quality of the product, or name branding, in a dire situation. If you can get a big prescription without a hassle, then do that though. The last prescription I got for Amoxicillin was for only six pills. I can get 100 fish-mox capsules for about $15! They are "pharmaceutical grade", come in capsules at human dose strengths (500mg), and I'm pretty sure the only reason it says "not for human consumption" is only because a prescription is required for that.

Think about it--why would fish use capsules? These are obviously made for humans or pets, and just relabeled. I just looked at a website that says these are safe for dogs or cats too, even though such usage would also require a prescription. If it is good for my dog then at the very least it shouldn't poison me.

The most important factor I think, is that if you are going to buy medicine of any type, buy it from a USA/Canadian company, and a common product in the US, and Fish-Mox fits that requirement for me.

Be safe!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Do your research. When drugs fail contamination testing they are moved to the vet meds. When they fail fungal contamination test they are moved to otc fish mess. Some drugs have been banned for human use in the US for a reason. IE some sulfa drugs kill the nerves in your ear causing pemanent hearing loss.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    That makes sense that these were rejects from the regular pharmaceutical manufacturing. It doesn't bother me. I think they are ideal for stockpiling. If SHTF I won't care about swollowing some spores, or even pure dirt. Pennicillin is a fungus after all, and I don't think ingesting trace amounts of mold is a health risk--I am guessing it might increase the chances of nausea.

I should probably make it clear that I don't recommend taking these just whenever you have a cold and don't want to go to the doctor. But that's not what this discussion was about. In an appocalyptic type situation where there are no doctors, I'd literally eat bread mold. Contaminants are the lowest concern when you have sepsis, you just want to make sure the medicine contains the necessary antibiotics.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    I agree with you netsecsvc, and I know there are several others out there that do also. I think it will be hard to talk my doctor into this and how big of a prescription will he write me, six pills? I will not take the fish meds unless there is no other choice, but I will be glad I have them if it comes to that, not to mention they are inexpensive to buy in large quantities. I guess it will be worth a try talking to the doc about it though now that I have a list of meds to ask for. Thanks for the info guys, I think this is a good discussion and an important one!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    So far I've seen zeeo proof that these are even rejects. All the research I've done has included some fear mongering, but absolutely no proof that these are any different than the human meds. Multiple people are saying the pill markings show up in the PDR, or match their real prescriptions. I think the worst case scenario is that these COULD legally be lower quality then the ones shipped to your pharmacy, but that doesn't mean they are lower quality. Multiple veterinarians have been reported as stating that they take them, or that they are the same. I am certain that they come from man pharmaceutical manufacturers, and that they would not purposefully produce rejects to fill the veterinary demand.

I am interested in someone showing real proof that these are in any way different than prescription quality. I would not be surprised if some "rejects" were included, but I want proof of some sort of danger, other than the fact that these COULD be held to a lower standard by the FDA.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    This is kind of a tricky subject to discuss on a public forum...

JMO, but besides I've always thought antibiotics would have be absolutely the most valuable meds possible in a serious SHTF situation.

Just from making it through over five non-SHTF decades of life, I realize "pain killers" would be a very desirable commodity. Of course that's true without the world going to hell ... IF you're stupid enough to play with the possible legal ramifications if you get caught screwing around beind a wannabe drug dealer.

In a SHTF world I THINK antibiotics would be the more valuable commodity. Just like today, when all is said & done, I'm pretty sure booze will (more or less) stand in if there were a shortage of morphine, codine, etc. Being human (men), we'll always keep our priorities in order - 1. Food, 2. Beer, 3. Woman. :D

Slightly OT: I experienced an unusual situation when my mother died about eight years ago. I found 3 1,000 ct large sealed bottles of Amoxicillin, and several 2oz vials of morphine (they had the red rubber tops crimped by an aluminum rim, under a clear plastic seal - no idea how they got the liquid out .. guess it was IV only?).
    Anyway, I called the Hospice nurse who'd been taking care of my mother for the previous year and asked her what to do with the stuff. She dropped by that afternoon, asked me to witness her dumping the stuff in the toilet, then had me to sign some legal forum they keep for exactly that sitiuation.
    Always wondered how much money we flushed that day...

I did consider asking if any of my survivalist-nut friends wanted the Amoxicillin at first, but inocent as it is, AFAIK that's still considered "a drug" by the people we pay to ... protect us from ourselves.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I went to Redimed yesterday because I had a sinus infection I couldn't cure with OTC drugs since they took the good stuff off the shelves because we have to protect the meth addicts. They gave me a Z-pack and it just blows my mind that I could buy those over the counter in mexico, but here in the US we need a Doctor to tell what we need for everything.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Not sure about meds but the company I work for has a customer who makes pure vitamin E powder. At some point in the production if the powder comes in contact with Oxygen it turns a yellowish color instead of pure white.

The pure white stuff is for human consumption..

The yellowish sgtuff gets put into animal stuff..

The difference in price they get is crazy..

I was told that one 55 gallon drum of white (human) vitamin E is about $50k A 55 gallon drum of yellowish (animal) vitamin E is only like $5k....

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    One thing that seems to be left out is to try not to get sick in the first place. I know it will happen eventually, but stock up on vitamins and probiotics and be using them now with a rotated supply just like your food.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom