Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I try to keep on hand the following numbers on ammunition:

100 JHP handgun rounds
    300ish FMJ hadgun rounds
    500 FMJ rifle rounds
    100-150 12g shotgun (either shot or slug...whichever I can find on sale)

the way I look at it that stockpile is more than an ample amount to handle any thing that may or may not take place. Just my .02 so take that for what it's worth.

I figure that if (god I hope it doesn't happen but if it does happen) SHTF in any sense, I'll be able to take care of whatever takes place.

On the food and water subject it's hard to keep food in the house with a very hungry roommate but I do keep a small store on hand just in case (enough for about a week if 2 people are dipping into it). Hopefully a week will be long enough to get something figured out for a sustained supply of food and water.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    the way I look at it that stockpile is more than an ample amount to handle any thing that may or may not take place.
    Will that last you for the rest of your life? What if the ammo you have on hand today has to supply your shooting hobby, food for your family, and safety from roving marauders/zombies indefinitely? You need more.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Will that last you for the rest of your life? What if the ammo you have on hand today has to supply your shooting hobby, food for your family, and safety from roving marauders/zombies indefinitely? You need more.

Hey stop that! I was JUST about to post the same thing! :):

There should be a minimum of 1K rnds per gun set aside. That doesn't include your range ammo. I'm building up to have about 5K per rifle and 2K per pistol. .22lr's should have double that amount.

Meh, even then, that's still not enough....

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Don't Forget

And don't forget that you need to rotate your ammo just like you do your food and water. Maintain a set amount "in inventory". Periodically buy new ammo and then take your oldest ammo out of inventory and place it with your hobby stuff to shoot up or use for hunting.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    For me I'd say the 80%fmj/20% jhp for pistol would work. For rifle something similar for fmj/jsp would work well. As for amount. Stock whatever you are comfortable with. There is no magic number that will be enough in any situation. Stock whatever you can afford and feel will be enough. My 45acp and 9mm supply has depleted some lately due to shooting more than normal. So now I need to try to replace it all, and hopefully more so I can shoot more again. But to help cut down on how much I'll shoot I do want to get a 22 conversion kit for my 1911s here sometime soon.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    And don't forget that you need to rotate your ammo just like you do your food and water. Maintain a set amount "in inventory". Periodically buy new ammo and then take your oldest ammo out of inventory and place it with your hobby stuff to shoot up or use for hunting.

Not necessarily. Unless you are stocking up on corrosive ammo, you shouldn't have to rotate your ammo. Maybe every 7-10 years if you want to, but not required...

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I like both, but to be honest in SHFT i just want ammo and might even go against the grain here and say i would want FMJ.

side note - a lot of new comers trying to get that 50 post, good news it the :ingo: community is growing :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I try to keep on hand the following numbers on ammunition:

100 JHP handgun rounds
    300ish FMJ hadgun rounds
    500 FMJ rifle rounds
    100-150 12g shotgun (either shot or slug...whichever I can find on sale)

the way I look at it that stockpile is more than an ample amount to handle any thing that may or may not take place. Just my .02 so take that for what it's worth.

I figure that if (god I hope it doesn't happen but if it does happen) SHTF in any sense, I'll be able to take care of whatever takes place.

On the food and water subject it's hard to keep food in the house with a very hungry roommate but I do keep a small store on hand just in case (enough for about a week if 2 people are dipping into it). Hopefully a week will be long enough to get something figured out for a sustained supply of food and water.
    I think that you need to get your roommate on board as to the food supply. And to be honest, having a weeks supply to buy you time while you figure out a more sustained food supply during a SHTF is a little late. Go out, buy 2 case of chile, 3 boxes of saltines and a case of beer, er water. Now you have you have two weeks of food. And if you doubled that, you're almost at a month! I bet you could do that for $30. :)

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Right now I have 1k 223, 1k 9mm, 2kor more 22lr and I buy 12gauge whenever its on sale, buckshot or slugs. I lately started prepping more stuff for my muzzleloaders as these will be used for hunting if things get bad enough. I have a 45,50 and 54 caliber and and pounds of powder and lead stored.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    See now this is what happens when I stay up late drinking beer....er....water...

I know I need to keep more of everything on hand but my finances have been weak lately due to my hours being cut at my day job. I like to keep about 5X the amount I posted but I tend to get a little overzealous at the range.

On the subject of my roommate chipping in on the food supply for a SHTF scenario, long story short he thinks I'm insane and am just an over the top gun owner and the hole world is out to get me so.....don't see any help comin from him in this aspect.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    On the subject of my roommate chipping in on the food supply for a SHTF scenario, long story short he thinks I'm insane and am just an over the top gun owner and the hole world is out to get me so.....don't see any help comin from him in this aspect.
    I certainly hope you plan on using that gun to protect your food from him when the SHTF.

damdayshifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    georgetown
    What caliber are you using, .22? When I shoot a deer in the chest cavity with my 30-06, JSP, FMJ or JHP the deer drops right there. Now when the chest cavity is missed, then the deer runs like hell. Best to just sit for an hour before tracking it too.

YES. A '06 is a dam good deer gun- dam near idiot prof within 250 yards - but those dam 7 point and five point whatever military surplus fmj rounds that being stockpiled by the thousands are not worth a **** a 375 to 425 yards on putting a deer down on the spot. The ammo rounds mention were design to """"""""""wound"""""""" a 170 pound man.

Now everyone is going to tell me story about joe-somebody who has done it but I have seen to many DUMBAZZ DRIVE BY POACHERS try it on farmland next to home.

Sorry about the thread jack but always "KNOW YOUR AMMO AND KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SHOOTING AT."

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Excess ammo is better than not enough ammo.

Agreed, but you would want to be sure not to let on that you have "excess", i.e., "I really can't afford to part with this, but what I'm bartering for is something without which I can't live.", no matter how much you trust that person (with the possible exception of them already being in your established inner circle), as in a SHTF situation, giving that information is tantamount to trusting them with your life, regardless their intent. Word of interesting things has a tendency to spread.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    If you shoot a deer with a FMJ it will run for half mile. Now...shoot an "arizona chicken" with JHP and there will be nothing left but the drumsticks.

MORAL: Know how ammo preforms in different medias.
    :stretcher:

Yeah but if you hit the ARIZONA CHICKEN with a hollow point 30/06 at less than 25 yards the left drum stick will be broke at the hip joint ...
    over 400 yards with a FMJ ya might only be able to knock it out ,,

but if you are as good as most of the HUNTER EXPERTS you just do a spinal shot each and every time you pull the trigger on that 47 point buck
    and the projectile will stop and be in pristine condition were as you can REload it and use it everytime ....
    Then and only then damdayshifter you no longer have to worry about the projectile traveling way past your target ......

Myself I hunt like rambo ...I use a stick and my knife .....:p:n00b:

problem solved :dunno:

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I stock both. Probably in the 90-10% with most FMJ. Practice is important and having enough rounds. This is for handguns. My longguns my .223 is a mix similar to handguns, but all my hunting rifles have just that, hunting ammo. Shotgun is a mix of bird, buck and slug.

Top Bottom