• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have been consolidating calibers and stocking up on ammo. I have what I think is enough ammo but am wondering what type of ammo would be best for a SHTF scenario. I currently have about 80%FMJ and 20%JHP for each caliber. I have ran JHP through all my firearms so I know they will eat them. So, incase of a collapse in society, what type of ammo should I have? For a zombie attack? Should I start buying more JHP? Should I even care about over penetration in any type of SHTF?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    FMJ-JHP, does not matter in a SHTF situation, what matters is that you have ENOUGH ammo period. Buy what is available/affordable at the time and stock up on it.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Aim for the head and you wont have a problem!!!

50-posts.gif

Come on, you can do better than that one liner.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    50-posts.gif

Come on, you can do better than that one liner.

Wow, that's even more distracting than the people trying to get 50 posts... derailed the thread, too.

Unless you plan on reloading for your SHTF stockpile, I think JHP would be prohibitively expensive. I have seen Remington bulk packs of HP pistol ammo, but I can't recall a price. It likely wasn't much more than FMJ, but it has been a while since I've seen it. In rifle ammo I have seen bulk packs of WWB for varmints, but they're all in varmint calibers, mainly .22-250

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    ok ok... here goes.

The real problem in a shtf senario is not just stocking up on ammo. for example...what if what if only a few people on the planet survive the horrible shtf situation..while ammo would be good to have, if thats what you spent all your money on now..how are you goin to end up using it??? not by using your hi cap magazines on the squirrels, rabbits, and deer that you have to eat to keep you alive. you would need to have food, water, shelter, and clothing ready for this shtf situation. and all that costs money. because if all u have is ammo and a few cans of food.....you're goin to be screwed. you have to know how to and be ready to sustain yourself in the event that the shtf. you cant just say.."im goin out with my trusty rifle and everythings goin to be fine". so if "FMJ or JHP" is your biggest concern when shtf....then im sorry to say but i think you're paddlin up sh!t creek and you wont be around long enough to use all that ammo.
    gave me another post too.....thanks!

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm with you on that. I think a SHTF stockpile (ammo you never intend to fire) would be 200 rounds of pistol and 500 rounds of rifle. That actually seems excessive to me. I can't see any single person or 3-5 person group needing more ammo than that. If you imagine yourself in repeated engagements to the point where you think a 5000 round stash is reasonable, you're out of touch with probability. The probability of you or a small group surviving that is none.

As far as game-taking or subsistence, which would be almost mutually exclusive with needing to barricade yourself for a firefight, you can add to that a few hundred game loads and several bricks of .22.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Both.

JHP for people, FMJ for game.

Would NOT want to use JHP for game - might ruin the meat due to expansion, mightn't it?

Then again, if you came upon some marauders and it was truly the End of this World as We formerly Knew It, well, you'd probably go ahead and spit-roast them as well. So, your ratio of 80-20 is probably good enough. Can't imagine a more precise or useful trade-off, myself.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Both

Buy a little of each. As far as how many, don't forget the concept of "ballistic wampum". Extra rounds can always be traded to other preppers for things that you might want. Remember, the unprepared will only last so long as they can continue to scavenge fresh water and food. After that there will only be other preppers around. So what if you you have a couple thousand rounds extra, want to trade a hundred for some canned bacon?

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    ok ok... here goes.

The real problem in a shtf senario is not just stocking up on ammo. for example...what if what if only a few people on the planet survive the horrible shtf situation..while ammo would be good to have, if thats what you spent all your money on now..how are you goin to end up using it??? not by using your hi cap magazines on the squirrels, rabbits, and deer that you have to eat to keep you alive. you would need to have food, water, shelter, and clothing ready for this shtf situation. and all that costs money. because if all u have is ammo and a few cans of food.....you're goin to be screwed. you have to know how to and be ready to sustain yourself in the event that the shtf. you cant just say.."im goin out with my trusty rifle and everythings goin to be fine". so if "FMJ or JHP" is your biggest concern when shtf....then im sorry to say but i think you're paddlin up sh!t creek and you wont be around long enough to use all that ammo.

If there was ever a likelihood of you also surviving along with a handful of people in a SHTF as in the likes of what you say, the squirrels, rabbits and deer will probably be gone also. (A scenario like The movie Legend)

So unless you are out in the middle of nowhere hiding in a secluded area there will be people, and if the problem is huge enough to cause people killing for food, it would not matter how many supplies you have if people found out you have them. So in order to protect your self/family and supplies a small meager amount of ammo will not help.

Say minimum 10,000 rounds of ammo for good semi auto rifle that would be used for both close and long range. Handgun ammo not as much, not unless you plan on using a carbine for inside 75 yards, then more rounds would be needed.

BTW, nice post, keep it up!:rockwoot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ok ok... here goes.

Even in this scenario, which sounds more like Steven King's "The Stand", it's not going to matter what you stock up on since you could just walk into any military installation and stock up on what you want. You would want a lot of ammo because I'm sure hunting for food will be harder than before and since not a lot of people survived, you can bet there would be marauders about and best be prepared for that. Food, shelter, etc, you can find that everywhere, even out in the middle of nowhere. Just find the first empty house and use it. Pillage the local Walmart. Hell, if there's no one around, money doesn't mean a thing anyway.

As for the OP's question, stock up on FMJ. You'd want something that penetrates metal and fiberglass good enough to hit your target that's shooting at you through the car across the way.

Personally, I'm stocking up on nothing but FMJ and steel core penetrator ammo. I only keep enough JHP ammo for my carry mags and that's it.

I've asked the same question before and that's what I did with the advice given to me. In SHTF scenarios, over penetration may very well be a GOOD thing. Especially when the zombies come... :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think the other part of the question is; For what weapon? If you carry JHP in your pistol now, would you stop in the future when there really are people out to get you? On the other hand, it might be cheaper to stock up on FMJ for you rifles, but JSP would work well on flesh targets too, and isn't that much more. And in what cailbers are you talking about? I think 80%FMJ/20% JHP isn't that bad of a ration though, all things considered.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    same as above !

Lol, he's made it four hours so far, should've taken a pool. As for my :twocents: I'd have to use as little JHP as possible. Maybe more of a 90-10 or even a 95-5 split. Getting shot is going to be more deadly in a SHTF scenario. I don't think people will be willing to take as many breaking/entering type risks without a hospital being able to patching them up.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Interesting answers from most of you, I really don't like the bs posts MODS?...I think I might take the ratio to 90-10. Lawsuits from over penetration shouldn't happen. As far as stocking up on clothing, if I bug-in, I think I have enough clothes/blankets to stay warm.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    FMJ-JHP, does not matter in a SHTF situation, what matters is that you have ENOUGH ammo period. Buy what is available/affordable at the time and stock up on it.
    This.
    Extra rounds can always be traded to other preppers for things that you might want. Remember, the unprepared will only last so long as they can continue to scavenge fresh water and food. After that there will only be other preppers around. So what if you you have a couple thousand rounds extra, want to trade a hundred for some canned bacon?
    I too once thought ammo was a good barter tool until my eyes were opened by a thread on another forum. You may want to think twice about bartering anything that can be returned to you from 100 yards away.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have been consolidating calibers and stocking up on ammo. I have what I think is enough ammo but am wondering what type of ammo would be best for a SHTF scenario. I currently have about 80%FMJ and 20%JHP for each caliber. I have ran JHP through all my firearms so I know they will eat them. So, incase of a collapse in society, what type of ammo should I have? For a zombie attack? Should I start buying more JHP? Should I even care about over penetration in any type of SHTF?

You number and print your questions on 3x5 index cards and mail them to me personally for the absolute best answers along with $20 in cash for each question and a self addressed and stamped envelope.

As a token of good faith I'll give you this sample answer free.

Next time ask what kind of amo you should buy, prior to buying "what I think is enough ammo".

Top Bottom