• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKINNER82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    I agree that you can never have too much. But how are you guys storing? Also, are you taking care to date the ammo as you buy it so that you use up oldest ammo first?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    But how are you guys storing? Also, are you taking care to date the ammo as you buy it so that you use up oldest ammo first?
    Some is in ammo cans, but most is just on the shelf. Ammo isn't going to go bad like pork chops will. How do you suppose they store it in the warehouse when it used to sit for years? On pallets in boxes with a bit of shrink wrap on it, the same way they ship it.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I am building to 2000 rounds of .40
    1000 rounds of 8mm
    500 rounds 12 ga 7 1/2
    250 rounds 00
    250 rounds slugs

All stored in ammo cans with gel silica in them. I date the boxes and rotate them but I am not expecting to ever have issues with ammo going bad.

SKINNER82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Some is in ammo cans, but most is just on the shelf. Ammo isn't going to go bad like pork chops will. How do you suppose they store it in the warehouse when it used to sit for years? On pallets in boxes with a bit of shrink wrap on it, the same way they ship it.

I suppose you're right. Although, I've always thought it was wise to throw some desiccant in with my ammo stores. . .I guess that's one good thing about my wife having a shoe obsession. :D

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    A couple thoughts on OO buck.

OO is .33 cal. In the 12 gauge shell, due to case geometry, you can only fit 9 pellets of OO in. I would recommend you consider #1 buck. At .30 cal. you really aren't giving up much in size, however you gain majorly in payload - you can fit in 15 pellets. The amount of energy hitting the target is significantly more due to the larger number of only slightly smaller pellets. Also, in a Home Defense situation many folks need to worry about overpenetration going through their wall and possibly injuring or killing a neighbor. #1 buck will not overpenetrate like OO can.

#1 buck is recommended for HD by Massad Ayoob (decades-long expert police trainer and author) in his excellent combat shotgun book "Stressfire 2". Many police departments use it as well.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    Ammo will store much better cool and dry. Keep it at constant temperature and humidity if possible. Also some ammo will come with a case neck and primer sealant. Properly stored ammo will last longer than i will.

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I keep a couple of boxes of PP ammo for my carry pistols and a bunch of standard FMJ for SHTF. I know that I can hit what I am shooting at. So my ammo does not have to be the latest wiz bang gelatin destroying super duper life saver round written about in Guns & Ammo.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You can carry 500 rounds of .22 ammo and barely notice its there. I think everyone should have a good pistol and rifle in their gun collection for packability, if nothing more.

I follow this! First off have a 22lr rifle and pistol. Think of how much ammo you can have for two guns for $100 when bricks of 550rds are around $15. That will be your staple.

Once you have your 22lr setup, then worry about the big guns. For shotgun, I buy the 100rd packs at walmart for $22 - $23. If 7 1/2 or 8 shot won't do it at shotgun distances, then nothing will. I keep some 00 and slugs on hand, but I stock the bulk stuff. Having said that, I'm not a big shotgun guy.

For rifles, go with the most accurate ammo you can find. Only hits count for hunting wild game. I look at it like this, figure firing one bullet everyday on average for one year, that's 365 rounds. If you have 100 rounds of PMC 223, then anything else is just for comfort and peace of mind. I have comfort and piece of mind also.

I think 500 rounds per real rifle of accurate ammo is a minimum and anything beyond that is a bonus.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Not counting the 308 and 223, I keep lots of 22's for family and friends to keep them going with the 10/22's. A pocket full with last a long time and will ruin someones day.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have .22 lead for l/a, and rev., .38 spl., reloads, lots, & lots, 9mm, reloads, lots.. .22 jacketed for 10/22, 12ga, and 20 ga reloads......and all the rest....

Top Bottom