• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What type of ammo do you buy for long term SHTF? I know I would prefer to have all HST hollow points for the hand guns, lake .223 for the AR and S&B 12 pellet 00 buck. But price comes into play and the end it seems that quantity is winng over quality. I have been getting federal brass at WW for the handgun and have 1k of PMC in .223, and about 50 of the S&B. I was thinking about getting the 100 packs of #8 shot at WW for 25 bucks instead of the $250/100 for 00 online. How do you handle the quantity/quality delima?:dunno:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I just buy the best I can get and spread the cost out over time. My long term term storage includes a vacuum sealer, desiccant, and ammo boxes.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    estate buckshot from cabelas 250 rnd case $150-160
    shtf ammo doesnt all have to be hp or name brand , i wouldnt be afraid of my cast lead reloads . I shoot them now in practice and have no problems I am reasonably sure i can use them in bad time to punch holes in things if i need to

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    For me it is a sealed container of 5.45x39 surplus ammo for my ar15 and another container of 7.62x25mm. Also lots of .22's and the Walmart Winchester 12ga field loads 7 1/2 shot.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    whatever i can find that i know is reliable and at the cheapest price. if it truely is a SHTF scenario then i want as much as i can have.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I tend to buy whatever's on sale. FMJ is FMJ, and a JHP is a JHP. To a degree anyway. There are certian brands I will stay away from, but for the most part I find it comforting to have a lot of ammo on hand.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Basicly, what ever I can find on sale. You can never have to much. Just be sure that it is stored properly. And try to get a good variety of different calibers. You never know what you may use the most.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    I am just now starting to stock my ammo. My purchase of .22 is now hollow point as I have mostly round tip. I am focusing on .40 for my handgun, 20ga and .44mag. Why 20ga? I felt the weight of my 870, 20ga was better suited for my stature.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    This topic is of great interest to me as well. Not to thread jack but how much ammo do you guys consider enough? Not that you can ever have enough ammo but what do you try and stock per cal?

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    For me it is a (no pun intended) moving target as far as amount of ammo to keep on hand. Every time I think of a number that would be "enough" and then reach that number it immediately 1) begins to feel inadequate and 2) starts getting used up faster than I can buy it. My rule of thumb/goal at the moment is 2000 rds each for a primary handgun, primary long gun and .22LR. I have not met this goal at the moment. Primary long gun is my Mossberg 500, so it also gets to be a question of how to break down that 2000 rds between slugs, buck and birdshot. Again, it mainly comes down to watching for steals more than following a set plan where I am concerned.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This topic is of great interest to me as well. Not to thread jack but how much ammo do you guys consider enough? Not that you can ever have enough ammo but what do you try and stock per cal?

Is there still room in your house to walk around... then you don't have enough. Seriously though, You really can't have to much. If you end up with A LOT and you get short notice on a training opportunity or something like that you are ready. I won't set a goal, hit it and say I'm done. I just keep acquiring as I can and shoot as I need to.

Last edited:

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    You can carry 500 rounds of .22 ammo and barely notice its there. I think everyone should have a good pistol and rifle in their gun collection for packability, if nothing more.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Basically what the others said. When stocking ammo, try not to think about it as a SHTF survival amount, but rather an amount that will need to last you for the rest of your life. Between target shooting, defending your home, providing food, estimate what you will use in a year, then estimate how many years you expect to live and multiply them. Then decide if you want to leave some behind, and add that number. Now, double the total and multiply by 10.........Do you see where I'm going here?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Calibers I've standardized on (at the moment.)

.22 LR < small varmit/game
    .38 SPL <- I can hand anyone a revolver and have them pointed in the right direction
    9mm <- self defense round
    .223 <- small varmits
    30/06 <- large game (of all types)
    12 guage <- wing, game, self defense (trifecta)

Now, you can substitute various calibers for different slots. I think the list covers the categories of firearm capabilities I can think of.

You can never have to much. Or enough components to reload. Reloading average but effective rounds is pretty easy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom