• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I've been interested in getting a good shoulder rig setup for my 1911. I have no idea about this kind of set up, so what do I need to look for? Are there better or worse options as far as brands? I'm a bigger guy so comfort and concealability are what I'm going for. I have a El Paso Saddlery OWB that I love, but I want something that I can wear under my coat.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I have used a Galco Miami Classic rig (winter carry) for years and like it quite well. There are many good option out there. I suggest some research & maybe read some reviews before deciding.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Why would you want to do that?? Then whoever walks behind you will have a gun pointing at them, and we all know that is not kosher!

(purple as needed)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm a bigger guy so comfort and concealability are what I'm going for.

Shoulder holsters aren't the best at either. If you're dead set on a shoulder holster for whatever reason, Galco makes a good one. I have one I wear to court occasionally because its better with a thin suit belt than a belt holster. Any time I wear a regular belt, I go with a belt holster, though.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Galco was amazing. I had another one for a Beretta from a company called "Strong" holsters. It was a cheaper holster, but made from good materials (all leather, no cheap suede or nylon), solid metal fittings, etc... Could wear my Beretta 92FS, with two magazines under a button down shirt with the front open, no disclosure issues or lumpiness like with some holsters.

Switched to appendix or IWB carry though: Much faster and easier to conceal larger guns with minimal cover garments (in the case of Appendix carry).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You can't wrong with the Galco rigs. They're pretty much the standard.

Unless you want to go "John Roarke, the Survivalist" and do an homage to Jerry Ahern. In that case, you want Alessi.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Gonna say what the others are, the miami rigs are amazing.

I got 4 of them, used, on the cheap from when the county switched from sigs to glocks some years back.

Guess they didn't know the holsters where replaceable and you didn't need to buy the entire rig again :):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a Don Hume I love. I also have the Miami in the drawer. Once I put on the Hume the Miami hasn't been worn one time.
    The Hume has wide elastic across the shoulders and even with a full size 1911 and 3 mags it's comfortable, not tiring, and still fast for a shoulder rig.
    The Miami Classic is a decent rig but.......

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    You can't wrong with the Galco rigs. They're pretty much the standard.

Unless you want to go "John Roarke, the Survivalist" and do an homage to Jerry Ahern. In that case, you want Alessi.

I didn't know they were so popular, I have one also. I felt like a wanna be mall cop the first time I put it on!

They take awhile to break-in but great way to carry in winter.

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I really like the idea of a shoulder rig. I was wondering about what it would make me feel like when I had it on. I kept thinking about Bruce Willis in Last Man Standing too, lol.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm not a big guy, but I have big shoulders for my size. I'm 5'-9", 175lbs, and wear a 2XL shirt. I like a shoulder rig for cold weather concealment, and great for driving, but I can't seem to get the darn thing to fit properly. I have a Miami Classic, and have it adjusted as short as I can make it, but the pistol still seems to hang lower than I want it to. Other than my own personal fit issues, it's a nicely made rig.

Top Bottom