Should your kids have access to their weapons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Both of my kids have there own guns in there rooms locked in there gun cabinet but no ammo.. For one they neither of them would wake up if someone would break in and i don't think its safe. One is 11 and the other 17 they both now how to shot and the saftey side of it all but they don't need ammo until we go shooting with me there.... That just how i feel about it....

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I have always believed that is a matter best left to the parents. That being based on the assumption that the parents are responsible adults.

I have two sons (both on INGO), the 22 year old always had an underlying disrepect for authority (not always in a 'protection of rights' kind of way). I never believed he would ever do anything with one of our weapons, but always had that little twinge of 'don't take the chance'... He has matured a lot since then and recently become interested in protecting himself and family and wants to go to the range. I will be giving him a handgun that his grandfather wanted him to have when he was ready. He is now ready.

The 14 year old has always been responsible, has shown a deep respect and care for others, and has shown himself proficient with a rifle and my handgun. He's still not ready for one in his room yet, but he knows how to get his out of the safe. I would not want to be the BG looking at the wrong end of his gun.

Menards has a little safe (not fireproof, but reasonably secure) that I will get for him to keep in his room. More concerned about his visiting friends messing with them, than keeping him from accessing them.

I don't ever plan to not be in control of the situation, but you never know. Most BG's don't expect the kid to be a threat. +1 for our side!!!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    In today's society everything is up for debate, going against the rules is considered a virtue..........doesn't matter what those rules are.

Kids (and adults) for the most-part do not wish to recognize the existence of Absolutes.

Gun safety should be an Absolute.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Whether a kid should have access to guns depends in the end on the kid.

No matter how competent they are at the mechanics of handling a gun, and no matter how well they've been trained, it comes down to their temperament.

My soon to be wife's son for example.

Though he has the natural talent to shoot a gun well, he's bad tempered, a bully, and immature for his age.
    He's the type who'd get p*ssed off and shoot somebody just because he's mad at them.

Though he just turned 18 and still lives at home, he has no business with a gun unless under supervised conditions.

I pray someday he outgrows this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom