Should we eliminate the electoral college??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Those same progressives would be dead set against it had the election gone the other way. Immature children who want to throw a fit and change the rules after the game was lost.

Had Donald been in Hillary's position, MANY Trump voters would have been screaming for elections by popular vote.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    giphy.gif

We are a country of states, a constitutional republic - not a pure democracy. Those states have a say in nominating the President based on the size of their population. On account of this the popular vote, in each state, plays its part. Otherwise in a nation of 50 states we would be beholden to the whims of 3-4 and the concerns of the rest of the country moot while politicians court the king maker states.

Talk of eliminating the electoral college system is nothing more than sour grapes from people still reeling from their candidate's loss. Prior to the election these same people were telling us how important the very system them are now protesting is to how our country functions.

If you lose the game it is generally considered poor form to complain about the rules after.

Last edited:

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious if the electoral college members didn't vote according to their states will and gave Hilary the win we would all still agree the electoral college is the best system, correct?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The counties in blue contain over 50% of the US population. Switch to a popular vote and those blue counties will rule the election from that point forward. Live in a grey county? Tough cookies. You'll always lose and you can forget even bothering to run your non D presidential candidates.

(Blue is also heavily Democrat/Liberal bed wetters)

map-of-counties-50-of-pop..jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Give each candidate a baseball bat and a garbage can lid, sell tickets on pay per view, last person standing is pres.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    The counties in blue contain over 50% of the US population. Switch to a popular vote and those blue counties will rule the election from that point forward. Live in a grey county? Tough cookies. You'll always lose and you can forget even bothering to run your non D presidential candidates.

(Blue is also heavily Democrat/Liberal bed wetters)

map-of-counties-50-of-pop..jpg

Yes...I know this. Have known it for years...HOWEVER...being very suspicious of the president elect, and his knowledge, and very, very suspicious of the statesmanship of most of the Republicans in Congress, I wonder how true conservatives will counter the push that is coming for CHANGE....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm curious if the electoral college members didn't vote according to their states will and gave Hilary the win we would all still agree the electoral college is the best system, correct?

I heard there are nine unbound electors that have committed to vote for Hillary in spite of their voters going for Thump. There are only a few States that give their electors this option.

I believe that all electors should be bound to vote according to their voters wishes, but there goes that pesky 10th Amendment.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    being very suspicious of the president elect, and his knowledge, .

It does not seem you have been paying attention the last couple of days.

and very, very suspicious of the statesmanship of most of the Republicans in Congress,

It doesn't seem that you have been paying attention the last 8 years.

I wonder how true conservatives will counter the push that is coming for CHANGE....

It dosent seem yoy have been paying attention the last 18 months.

Is that a hammer you have behind your back CM?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    But for sake of argument; What if we required legal ID in all state. What if reliance on the social services would eliminate voters?

Although "poll taxes" were ruled illegal - they were used to disenfranchise poor whites and blacks in the South - there _IS_ a rationale for them: a voter who lives off the government teat is not going to vote against that government. Requiring a citizen to be a taxpayer, for instance, ensures that he "has skin in the game" rather than someone who makes their whole living off government handouts.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I heard there are nine unbound electors that have committed to vote for Hillary in spite of their voters going for Thump. There are only a few States that give their electors this option.

I believe that all electors should be bound to vote according to their voters wishes, but there goes that pesky 10th Amendment.

According to wiki over half the states don't have laws against faithless electors. But if I'm reading correctly we want straight democracy on a state level for the electors but we want a states size and population to be balanced in how many electors they get.

Last edited:

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Eventually perhaps, the initial screaming would have been about voter fraud and voting by those not qualified.

Was there ever any actual evidence of this? I never saw it but at the same time I don't think a Trump supporter claiming it and I would ever agree upon a reliable source.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Plenty of talk about it but I haven't seen evidence. There's plenty about it making the rounds on FB but I don't consider those reliable sources.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    OK...I give. I was hoping to stir up some discussion concerning what you all believe a legal voter should be...The electoral college system will be challenged, and probably sooner rather than later.
    That would take a constitutional amendment. I don't see that happening.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom