Should I trade/sell a handgun to get an AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Had some bouts of unemployment this year, so financially I'm not exactly prepared to purchase an AR... but I'd really like to before any sort of legislation takes place.

I know I could probably get around $750 or so from my carry gun, HK USP40c, which would be a nice chunk out of the cost of an AR. Or if it came down to it, my Colt 1911. I'd really prefer not to sell either, but, times are as they are.

Is this something I should seriously consider, or is it just a bunch of hype that will pass? How hard would it be to get an AR and regular (30) sized mags if any sort of AWB took place? Would INGO still facilitate private sales? Is this a dumb choice I'm considering?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Had some bouts of unemployment this year, so financially I'm not exactly prepared to purchase an AR... but I'd really like to before any sort of legislation takes place.

I know I could probably get around $750 or so from my carry gun, HK USP40c, which would be a nice chunk out of the cost of an AR. Or if it came down to it, my Colt 1911. I'd really prefer not to sell either, but, times are as they are.

Is this something I should seriously consider, or is it just a bunch of hype that will pass? How hard would it be to get an AR and regular (30) sized mags if any sort of AWB took place? Would INGO still facilitate private sales? Is this a dumb choice I'm considering?

I would hold on, where can you shoot a .223 or 5.6 as you can the .40? I really think the shortage and hype will pass without legislation to ban the AR platform. Besides, there will always be a supply of preban AR's on the market.

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    keep what you have like Indy60 said prebans will be there, just like last time.
    if it all blows over just think how many there will be back on the market.
    most of the sales have been ( I gotta have ) not that they realy want.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would hold on, where can you shoot a .223 or 5.6 as you can the .40? I really think the shortage and hype will pass without legislation to ban the AR platform. Besides, there will always be a supply of preban AR's on the market.

This! ^^

If you buy right now you will pay a high price for it, it will be much lower once things calm down.
    Especially if you have to give up your carry piece to get an AR, that's not the best option.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You need to look at your own needs and wants and determine what platform (handgun/rifle and which models, etc) best fits that. Don't get caught up in the hype if it does not fit your needs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's nothing even at the committee phase in Congress right now. There's a ton of "ifs", like if a ban will ever be seriously proposed much less voted in. However its not exactly a swift process and you can be sure its not going to sneak up on us. The last AWB had plenty of forewarning as it made its way through the legislature, got the presidents signature, and went into effect.

I would wait. The market will settle, probably even see some deals as guys who overbought because of ban fears or speculation have to unload to get their finances back on track.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

No offense but you are not going to get $750 for a USPc 40. I tried selling a HK USPc LEM 40 on HKPRo for $615 with no luck. It would be even harder to sell it on here. It had 2x 12rd mags and was in excellent condition. No bites whatsoever. I hate to admit it but I highly doubt you could get $750 for it. The only reason I was selling it because I have 2. You might be better off selling the Colt 1911 if you want the cash. I really think that everything will blow over soon enough and you can just wait and buy your AR without having to sell anything.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Do not sell anything to panic buy. At all. If you are buying right now, it should be the reverse. Sell an AR to buy a new handgun.

Look at it this way, in six months if prices stable out, you have an AR that you pad way to much for, and now you are down a handgun the will still be the same price. Definitely don't sell your carry gun to buy anything, unless you are buying a new carry gun or planning on using a currently owned gun for carry. You might need your carry gun, you will probably not need an over priced AR.

Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    What everyone else said. Honestly, an ar is mainly used for plinking by most people. However, a handgun is used for both plinking and self defense. I would rather politicians talk about an AWB than a handgun CC/OC ban. Ask yourself, do you really want an ar? Or do you want one because everyone else wants one?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    One of the first rules of business is to sell when everyone's buying, and buy when everyone's selling. My prediction is the emotions are going to temper on this in a month or so and the secondary market will be flooded with people who panic bought them. Come back in a couple months and see if I didn't call this one.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    Evansville
    In 1993 I bought several bushmasters right before the BAN. I paid $475 for each 16" model. They went from $475 to $800 and really never went down. So, my personal answer is this...buy what you want, when you want, if you can afford it. Guns are a great investment. Would I have an AR only and no handgun? No....Having said all this, I think you should buy all the gun you can afford as well.....dont buy two cheap models, buy one great model. It seems to me that you already do this by owning a Colt 1911 and the USP 40. If you were smart... buy the lower now...uppers will be around. Also the mags most certainly will be banned...so buy a couple of those too.

I believe in supply and demand....a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it...period, like a house. I'd buy only if you are willing to keep the gun...how much is peace of mind worth? All of these things have merit. Even if you buy for the EOTW senario....so what if December 22nd rolled around and nothing happened?****** at least you knew if Zombies popped out of the ground you had it covered. Just my two cents, but....eh....=0).....By selling the one handgun to obtain an AR does not weaken your practical, tactical, or investment situation in my opinion....

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    I realize this is not comparable, but you could get a high standard carbine in 40 cal to shoot the same ammo as your hk. I heard from numerous people these are accurate guns and your range will be extended over a pistol with a 16 in barrel. Just a thought.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    If you were lucky you would be able to sell or trade both your .40 and colt 1911 for a base extremely expensive AR. Then your going to be on a hunch for ammo and mags.

Your a little late on thinking about getting an AR unless you got some deep pockets right now. Just listen to everyone else and keep what you got and if things lighten up which everyone hopes will then you can purchase one if funds allow

bartb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    A buddy and I were planning on building our first AR15s. Just before the horrible events a few days ago. We were planning to buy lowers Saturday. :( We've decided to save our money for a better time. We don't want to spend 1.5-2 times what it was a few weeks ago. Neither of us need an AR15 but we've both wanted one for a while. So we'll wait, if that means a "post-ban" AR15 then so be it.

Top Bottom