• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czarcasm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    74 - more countries use it, longer time for surplus ammo to dry out

Yea but I believe in the early 90's they switched from 7n6 to some better penetrating ammo that is not imported. As of current 5.45 surplus is finite, but there is still billions and billions of surplus out there.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    7.62x39 is already produced domestically (although expensive). If import bans should hit, it would take longer before 5.45x39 ammo could be produced in the US.

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    I would say no since the price of 5.45 is still cheaper. It is starting to creep up on price, but is cheaper today and with all the 223 556 762 craze it may be a round you can still acquire. Buy a 47 and keep the 74

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    If you own any 5.56 AR's then sell or trade the AK74 and get a AK 47, otherwise keep the 74 and save for a 47.
    The AK 74 is more accurate than the 47 due to it's round, and on par with the 5.56, however 5.45x39 is a PITA to get so no matter how cheap it is if you don't stack high and deep it isn't worth the headache.

I sold my Bulgy AK 74 (along with my Galil )exactly because of the above reasons, it was a blast to shoot but ammo is spotty and it was just another style of mag to keep track off. Now all my AK's are AK 47's and all my "mouse guns" are AR's

P.S. I doubled my money on my AK 74 and used it to buy an SVT40 and more 7.62x54r :D

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The AK47 is more fun to shoot due to more recoil and the bigger, slower bullet throws up more dirt when it hits the ground. It also moves the orange reactive targets better.

Top Bottom