Lake County
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I bought this weapon back in August for $800, a fair price considering what I've seen these go for. The barrel is kinda rough and the stock is rather well-worn, but the biggest thing that I'm concerned with is the finish, which is about as rough as the stock's, with some parts showing bare metal and even showing a brownish tone. The only thing that is holding me back from having a professional bluing job done on it is the fact that its serial number is 86xxx, which puts it within the first 2 or so months of production (it is an Eddystone rifle). I don't know if this puts any value on the weapon, but it's the earliest serial I've seen. While the patina is nice, I don't exactly want the weapon's exterior to degrade

Thoughts? I'm planning on steaming some of the dents out of the stock regardless of what the verdict is on the metal finish

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If its something you will never get rid of, and you want/need it to look pristine, then yes.

If you care about history, and want the gun to be worth as much as possible, then no, leave it as is.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Leave it. It is over 90 years old and it shouldn't look like it left the factory yesterday. Just wipe it down with an oily rag once in a while and it won't rust. I've got more than a few with even less blue and haven't had any problems with rust.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    Serious collectors want to see original condition. If there is any refinishing it hide the TRUE condition of the weapon. Even if you keep it till it is in your estate, the original condition is worth more than reconditioned to a collector.

Tangero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Lake County
    Thanks for all of the help! I am definitely off of the proverbial fence regarding this now. I'll probably stay away from steaming the stock as well, just so I don't screw something up on my favorite rifle

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Buy rifle for $800. Reblue rifle for $300. Sell refinished rifle for market value of $500. Thank you for being sensible and deciding NOT to refinish it.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Your gun, do what you want. My opinion is a firm "NO". USGI guns that have refinish and "sporterized" often are much less value as those left in the original condition. That stock has cartouches, "RIA" I believe was Rock Island Armory. Metal may have rough places but it shows what it is, a nice true US rifle

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Tangero,

Most of the value of any antique is "how close to original condition" it is in.

It not matter what the item is, only that it is near original.

Just watch the "Antique Road Show" for a few monthes to see people who had a $25,000 - $35,000 table, but because Grandpa decided to refinish it to "make it look purty" it is now worth $5,000 - $10,000. Sadly there are many stories such as this.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom