Should I have one type of mag for my AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The FASHIONABLE tactical operator will ensure that all of his magazines match, both in material and color, and that they are coordinated with his other accessories. One does not, for example, use FDE mags with OD rigs. Also, the fashionable operator does not use black for daylight operations between Memorial Day and Labor Day. At least that's what my buddies tell me.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Easy fix and something you should be doing already with GI mags is download them to 28rounds. Pmags are built with some extra room for this reason and you should count how many rounds as you can easily fit 31-32 rounds in them. The extra room is so you don't have to download them.

Actually I tried that. I have a M&P 15. I've downloaded the mag to 20 and it had the same problem.

lawnpros

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Greenwood
    Keep my factroy originals separate and shoot the pmags. I''ve had some 30's loaded with 25 rounds for over a years and springs still work. 20's are nice if you want to stay low.
    Bought some cheap off brand when things were tight and a total waste of money.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    All mine match, they are Vietnam era 20 round GI issue. Finish mostly gone. All function perfectly.

I started out that way, buying a huge bunch of them for less than $5 a piece from a guy at Knob Creek. But over the years, they've basically all failed. The aluminum cracking around the feedlips is what killed most of them.

I've replace them with a large number of assorted PMags of various types (other than they are all black, they don't really match) and a few EMags. I also have a smattering of other mags, D&H aluminum mags, ELander steel mags, a whole box full of cheap 30 rounder Thermolds, and few other assorted mags that came with my various 5.56 rifles.

Generally, except for my FS2000 (which only likes aluminum and steel mags for some reason), I stick to PMags in my range bag, but I don't really match them much beyond that, so I'll have Gen 2 and Gen 3 mags together.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Generally, except for my FS2000 (which only likes aluminum and steel mags for some reason), I stick to PMags in my range bag, but I don't really match them much beyond that, so I'll have Gen 2 and Gen 3 mags together.

That's because your FS2k has "seals" that are looking for the grooves in the GI mags. If you really wanted to, you could remove them and it would run pmags, but you'd defeat something that was intended to minimize the crud getting in there.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The FASHIONABLE tactical operator will ensure that all of his magazines match, both in material and color, and that they are coordinated with his other accessories. One does not, for example, use FDE mags with OD rigs. Also, the fashionable operator does not use black for daylight operations between Memorial Day and Labor Day. At least that's what my buddies tell me.

I use black year-round because it looks the scariest and it's the first color they'll ban.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    If your ocd is messing with you because your mags don't match, can probably swap them out. Otherwise don't worry about it. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom