Should I have one type of mag for my AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    So back when I bought my first AR, it came with a Gen2 Pmag. I decided to buy a couple Gen3 Pmags, then went and gotten one Pmag40 and a couple steel mag. A buddy of mine keep pestering me to have one kind of magazine for my loadout and to get rid of the rest for the sake of uniformity. I am starting to think he has a point. I might end up with a mix matched collection of mags

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Mix and match, what does it matter I the long run. Me thinks he's a lil OCD. I would not get rid of working mags for uniformity. JMHO

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Hey like I said in a previous thread...my buddy says a lot of things to me...and sometimes I call BS

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some rifles run with all types of mags and some have trouble with an specific kind, I keep a variety due to if I see a good deal I just get a few as long as they have good reputation.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't see a problem with a variety of mags. I have PMags and steel. Both types work fine for me.

If your gun only liked one kind of mag I could see why you would want all the same. IMHO, you should be fine with what you have.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I'd buy what works and is price effective. I like pmags but if I see a good deal on gi mags of whatever else I'm not pass a good deal up as long as it works.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I think the only mag so far that doesn't work is the Israeli steel mag. Correction. It fits and will feed round after round reliable, but only if the bolt is locked back first. If I have the bolt closed regardless if there's a round in the chamber, the Israeli mag will not click in on the first try...or the second and will only click on if I smack it insanely hard. It will lock in when I open the bolt

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are advantages/disadvantages.
    You'll just have to figure out what works for you.

It's like the "fear the man with one gun" opinion.
    A lot of those arguments make sense.
    But, I like the fact I can pick up a wide variety of weapons and be ok with them.
    So, while I liked what people had to say, I went with what works for me.

And, to keep Chez off your back, just ask the question. No need to say where it came from.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have both P-mags and GI mags. I don't see any functional difference. I do, however, use one set of mags solely as duty mags and they are not used in training. They have been used enough to be proven to work, then left alone while their training brethren take the abuse of training.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    I think the only mag so far that doesn't work is the Israeli steel mag. Correction. It fits and will feed round after round reliable, but only if the bolt is locked back first. If I have the bolt closed regardless if there's a round in the chamber, the Israeli mag will not click in on the first try...or the second and will only click on if I smack it insanely hard. It will lock in when I open the bolt

Easy fix and something you should be doing already with GI mags is download them to 28rounds. Pmags are built with some extra room for this reason and you should count how many rounds as you can easily fit 31-32 rounds in them. The extra room is so you don't have to download them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Pull 1 round out of the mag and try that. I have had some steel mags that when loaded to 30 did the same thing. Short load at 29 and try them. Worked for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Easy fix and something you should be doing already with GI mags is download them to 28rounds. Pmags are built with some extra room for this reason and you should count how many rounds as you can easily fit 31-32 rounds in them. The extra room is so you don't have to download them.

Ha....beat me too it....:):

Top Bottom