• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Okay, as I stated in my introduction greeting, i dont really have anyone i can talk to about guns. OC or CC. I'm the first in my family for the last several generations to actually own a firearm. I should be receiving my carry permit in the mail any day now and i always felt like OC was sort of the right thing to do. After reading a lot of peoples ideas on this site, i was a little concerned as to whether i should OC or CC. Could i get some viewpoints.

OC or CC?
    Why do you OC or CC?
    Pros to OC?
    Pros to CC?
    Cons to OC?
    Cons to CC?

Thanks everyone!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Personal decision. There is no "wrong" answer. If you are going to carry (and most of us would likely strongly recommend you do), invest in some training. No, it isn't mandatory (and I, for one, don't think it should be), but it's smart.

NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    I actually have been getting some. A guy that i work with went with me when i bought my gun. We went out to his place. He showed me several things. How to handle a gun. Clearing the chamber, proper stance and what not. I really want to go to a gun range, but i dont have anyone to go with. The guy i work with is cool and all, but hes not the friendliest person in the world. HOWEVER i will say, I DEFINITELY plan on carrying. whether it is CC or OC. i will JC! :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do both and see what you like. Make sure your holster has a retention device if OC. I used to CC all the time, i've taken to OC more lately. We'll see if it sticks in the warmer weather

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OP I pulled up your profile. If interested I could take you out to South Central in Freetown. I noticed you PMed Max about training with a GrandMaster. Max is excellent! Although 4 hours with him might be a little high speed. I would recommend starting with a familiarization type of course and then also spending time with Max later. Shameless plug but I can help, or contact CraigH at Hoosier Hills.

Try these sites:

Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club
    Home | Sandcreek Conservation Club
    South Central Gun Club - Home

Noticed your avatar, if you bought a HiPoint OC might be your option. Those things are bulky! Word of advice. Work with somebody who actually carries a gun regularity. You will save yourself time and money buying a good belt and holster right away. I have a whole tote full of stuff that cost good money that is pretty much useless.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    There's tons of information on this site to help you make up your own mind. As you look through the various threads on the topic you will see that some of them get emotional. In that sense, asking for advice on OC v CC is similar to asking where to smoke, or even whether to smoke or not - imagine where that conversation might go. Or walk into a room filled with 100 motorcycle riders and ask whether you should wear a helmet, or not, and watch what happens.

It's a personal decision that you need to be comfortable with - nobody else.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    What ever feels right for you. The only advise I can give is this, never CC when your nekkid! I've done this once, and it is not very comfortable!! This is 'Murcia!! The choice is yours and only yours to make!! The Lurking League Militia, welcomes you to Ingo!!:ingo:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    My personal choice: Concealed Carry

Conceal carry is less likely to attract attention to myself which I prefer. Most people don't really care if they see someone open carrying but the fact is a few do. You will get more looks and some people will be immediately afraid of you. However, on the flip-side the more people who open carry the more the public will become use to guns/open carry and be content with it. So hats off to those who choose that method.

I do not buy into the argument that you'll be the first one to be shot if you open carry. In fact, open carry probably prevents many crimes every day because violent criminals who might rob a store or bank do not want a confrontation typically. Of course there is no way to measure how much open carry deters crime because you will never find out the crime would have taken place.

Also with concealed carry you don't have to worry as much about getting approached by a store manager and asked to leave or a cop who is oblivious to the fact that open carry is perfectly legal in Indiana as long as you have permission from the state to exercise your constitutional right. Sure some people like those encounters, but I'd rather avoid them.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My personal choice: Concealed Carry

Conceal carry is less likely to attract attention to myself which I prefer. Most people don't really care if they see someone open carrying but the fact is a few do. You will get more looks and some people will be immediately afraid of you. However, on the flip-side the more people who open carry the more the public will become use to guns/open carry and be content with it. So hats off to those who choose that method.

I do not buy into the argument that you'll be the first one to be shot if you open carry. In fact, open carry probably prevents many crimes every day because violent criminals who might rob a store or bank do not want a confrontation typically. Of course there is no way to measure how much open carry deters crime because you will never find out the crime would have taken place.

Also with concealed carry you don't have to worry as much about getting approached by a store manager and asked to leave or a cop who is oblivious to the fact that open carry is perfectly legal in Indiana as long as you have permission from the state to exercise your constitutional right. Sure some people like those encounters, but I'd rather avoid them.

Well stated and all good points. I carry OWB, same holster and pistol all the time. OC vs. CC depends on my outer garment (untucked shirt or jacket = CC; tucked-in shirt or no jacket = OC. Your mileage may vary but I'm equally comfortable either way.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Decide what works best for you, just make sure you have a good holster and belt to do it with. Please don't rely on a cheap holster and or belt.

Congrats on taking the responsibility to carry a gun!

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    As has been mentioned, there are many good reasons for both OC and CC. Personally, I appreciate the educational aspects of OC. In my mind, it is a fantastic thing for people to experience a positive interaction with a polite, caring individual who carries a gun. It's also important to note that when we carry we are not looking for a violent conflict. I do not wish to conceal anything from anyone in order to have a 1up (if it would even work out that way) and use my hidden gun. Therefore, whenever I can I prefer to OC for the obvious Deterrent effect. In other words, I believe OCing often says to potential threats, "I am not worth your trouble."

On the flipside, I am aware of my surroundings and have many goals in daily life which might be hindered if I need to take time out of my day to have conversations with people about carrying a handgun. So, there are many times when I CC because that's what I need to do in order to move efficiently through my day. It just depends on the situation (to a degree) and mostly on my priorities.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    What ever feels right for you. The only advise I can give is this, never CC when your nekkid! I've done this once, and it is not very comfortable!! This is 'Murcia!! The choice is yours and only yours to make!! The Lurking League Militia, welcomes you to Ingo!!:ingo:

According to SkullDaddy, this is where we are: Murcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can't say that I agree with that assessment. They don't have such freedom in Murcia, I can guarantee that!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    does not matter if you O/C or C/C just carry. you will decide as you go which is better and when each is good or bad, situation dictates my carry. sometimes, ok most the time I do both. 228 on hip and 238 pocket.

NicholasScott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    United States
    Wow. I want to say there are some really really great points out there. I espcially like that even the ones that support CC still point out strong facts as to why you can OC as well. Lets me know that i have definitely Come to the right place. I am definitely looking for more PERSONAL PROTECTION TRAINING. I just want to know what to do in certain situations. I want to be able to protect me and my family. If that is something you could offer please let me know. As well as when i purchased my .45 i did get a holster for it. The guy at the Gun Den in shelbyville said it was a high quality holster. I kinda like it. I dont have a "GUN BELT" tho lol i just use my regular belt. i am planing on going in about 3 weeks to get a 9mm as well. Going to get a holster as well. That way i can determine which one i like to carry better.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom